Pod Your Reef

What is the difference between T5, T8 and T12's?

CCXGT

I've always wondered this.

I don't actually have any need or want to use any of them, but my African tank came with T8's which I've only just found out.

Why does everyone rave about T5's?

No love for 8 or 12?

T12 used to be widely used in the reefing hobby . My best setup ever was a 150w phoenix 14k MH flanked by (2) 24" UVL Super Actinic VHO's .

Grumblecakes

the number refers to the diameter in 8ths of an inch. so t5 is 5/8ths. t8 1in, t12 1.5in.

Overall in aquariums (and industry) it boils down to efficiency. t12s were first on the scene, fairly low power and inefficient large diameter does confer an advantage over t8s. t8s are widely used for lighting but are low power but more efficient that t8s. T5s are tricky. there are two types of t5s t5 and t5ho. t5 is just a slimmed down t8 not a good or a bad thing depending on application. t5ho however emit a good deal of light (and heat) but in a very small package their small diameter allows them to have a good reflector that reduces re strike (thus increasing efficiency) in a small package.

t12 are end of life. t8s are near theirs, t5s are in their mid life. I buy around 500 t5s a year for a building. pretty much any new fixture is going to use t5s while older ones use t8s. anecdotally 1 t5ho is about as bright as 3 t8s

jamescstein

http://www.hoveyelectric.com/hovey-electric-power-blog/bid/84918/T12-vs-T8-vs-T5-T-12-As-Outdated-As-Your-Granparents-Bingo-Game

Short of it..

T12, bigger less energy efficient. Not manufactured anymore

T8, smaller, more efficient (more light, less power)

T5, smaller, even more efficient. (more light, less power)

T12/T8 uses the same pinout so you can 'upgrade' a t12 fixture by changing the ballast.

T8 uses a smaller pinout so it is not compatible.

t12 are end of life. t8s are near theirs, t5s are in their mid life. I buy around 500 t5s a year for a building. pretty much any new fixture is going to use t5s while older ones use t8s. anecdotally 1 t5ho is about as bright as 3 t8s

I'll believe t8's are near end of life with Lowes and HD stop selling them. You can't even get T5 fixtures at Lowes. At least not in the store. I think they'll stay around since it is stupid easy to upgrade T12 fixtures to use T8's. Odds are if you still have a T12 fixture you need a new ballast anyway.

AZDesertRat

The number designation is the diameter of the bulbs in eighths of an inch so 5/8", 1" and 1.5" diameter. You can pack a lot more bulbs in the same space with T-5 which is its biggest advantage. The one thing that you need to be concerned with though is the design of the reflectors with T-5. With the old T-12 bulbs you could get many of them with internal reflectors which helped concentrate the light in the downward direction, with T-5 you rely on external polished reflectors. The light output is most efficient with individual reflectors on each bulb so the fixture quality/type is very important, not just the ballasts.

Wow... Decent info.

Cheers.

Another quick question if it's not too much trouble..

Does the length of the tube make any difference?

Like will a 4ft T5 bulb be less powerful than a nano 1ft tube?

Longer bulbs will be able to emit the same amount of light intensity over a longer length.

If you had a 3ft long tank, you would see about the same PAR if you had a 2ft, 3ft, or 4ft bulb over it. You would just be wasting energy.

Archived