ReefCleaners.org

Apex Jr. Controller giving off electric charge?

cswan19

My apex jr head unit got a bit of water spilled on it and a bit inside. I took the unit apart and had a fan blow on it for about 14 hours to dry it out. I put it back together and plugged it in. It works fine the only issue is that it gives off a small electric charge when I touch the metal on it like the small screws. Is there a way to stop this? Will it hurt my tank? I really don't want to have to buy a new unit as they aren't cheap and it basically works except for this issue. Am I sh** out of luck or is there a solution?

You have a short somewhere in the unit and its contacting the housing, If it works,, great but you will have 3 major issues.

1> Anything you plug in to it now that contacts the housing will have voltage going to it that is not intended, i.e. other apex modules and can void the warranty and/or cause those to short, melt, or catch fire

2> Real risk of electrocuting yourself or someone else, Water and ANY stray voltage are not good

3>It could get worse and cause a arc inside the housing leading to a fire

IMHO buy a new base or full unit and sell the display you have now to offset the cost (They go for 100ish on fleabay) or call apex to see if they can do anything for you

But before you do anything take it apart again and make sure you don't have a screw contacting that housing that isn't supposed to be, It may be that simple

Thanks for the feedback. I sent neptune systems an email and still waiting to hear back. This really blows.

I'm at work but I opened the unit back up before I left and left a fan blowing on it just in case there is still a drop of water in there somewhere. I am going to test it again when I get home and also check out the screws and see about the housing contact as you suggested. Really hope I won't have to buy a new one. /: Dang things are pricey

you can always try the rice trick too.

I am afraid to do this as there are so many little holes and things that the rice can get wedged and stuck in. Thanks for the tip though

Try cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. Minerals are also conductive you knw

I may try this if nothing else works. It is a good point, I didn't even think about that. Thanks

Archived