Cultivated Reef

Anyone using Santa Monica Drop Scrubbers like drop.2 or .6?

duganderson

You're obviously naive. The fact that you can't see room for disagreement and make such ridiculous statements like this one :lol:

You must have an entire case of headon in your garage

Thank you for your most en lighting contributions to this thread ;)

I think that algae scrubbers make sense - but at the same time I think you need the right type of tank and the right amount of nutrients to use them. You can't just install it on a tank and expect to harvest after X number of days. You have to know what kind of growth you're getting and adjust.

I've been researching scrubbers and between the upflow and the waterfall I'm a little partial to the waterfall but not because I see more success stories or anything. I've seen both epic successes and failures with both types of ATS. I just like the style and think it will work well in my tank - I also like the higher flow. Intuitively the UAS seems inferior because the flow is so low - but at the same time algae is algae and both upflow and waterfall grow it.

Unrelated - but I think that if the SM scrubbers were a whole lot cheaper people would be less critical of them and more likely to try them. But IMO costs too much (for a HOG/DROP1 or better) for what looks like a black tupperware with an air hose wrapped around the inside and a few LEDs.

I think that algae scrubbers make sense - but at the same time I think you need the right type of tank and the right amount of nutrients to use them. You can't just install it on a tank and expect to harvest after X number of days. You have to know what kind of growth you're getting and adjust.

I've been researching scrubbers and between the upflow and the waterfall I'm a little partial to the waterfall but not because I see more success stories or anything. I've seen both epic successes and failures with both types of ATS. I just like the style and think it will work well in my tank - I also like the higher flow. Intuitively the UAS seems inferior because the flow is so low - but at the same time algae is algae and both upflow and waterfall grow it.

Unrelated - but I think that if the SM scrubbers were a whole lot cheaper people would be less critical of them and more likely to try them. But IMO costs too much (for a HOG/DROP1 or better) for what looks like a black tupperware with an air hose wrapped around the inside and a few LEDs.

I agree and don't see where the price of the SM scrubbers are justified. You can make an almost identical HOG2/3 for a few $s/£s as per this YouTube vid.

HecticDialectics

Seems like a pain in the ass way to grow algae. Loud and bubbles everywhere. Why would this hang on glass thing be better than just growing chaeto?

Seems like a pain in the ass way to grow algae. Loud and bubbles everywhere. Why would this hang on glass thing be better than just growing chaeto?

I don't have a problem with bubbles anywhere in my sump where its placed.

There is some noise but then there is noise from skimmers it's not so loud but agreed there is noise.

GHA in a scrubber is better/more efficient than cheato at removing GHA in the aquarium.

Intuitively the UAS seems inferior because the flow is so low -

I've spent a lot of time researching algae scrubbers (along with my own failure using the Surf2). The general consensus is that FLOW is lacking in the SM scrubbers. Air driven operation just isn't getting the job done. Granted...if your tank is a cesspool already you'll likely see something growing in them.

I've spent a lot of time researching algae scrubbers (along with my own failure using the Surf2). The general consensus is that FLOW is lacking in the SM scrubbers. Air driven operation just isn't getting the job done. Granted...if your tank is a cesspool already you'll likely see something growing in them.

Well my "cesspool" has SPS inc acro's growing nicely with colour in which case a "cesspool" is good for them ;)

My "cesspool"

20150323_214605_zpshz00l5at.jpg

Not the pest of pic's as taken with my phone but good enough for the purpose.

Well my "cesspool" has SPS inc acro's growing nicely with colour in which case a "cesspool" is good for them ;)

My "cesspool"

20150323_214605_zpshz00l5at.jpg

Not the pest of pic's as taken with my phone but good enough for the purpose.

As I mentioned in my first post above I've never used the HOG or drop in scrubber...only the SURF2. My comments are based upon my use of that scrubber ONLY. Biggest waste of $300 I've ever spent in this hobby.

Then look again and zoom in. I have a good sized Acro far left a few montis another couple of acros as well as frags. A large stylo on the RH side of my central OF.I upgraded form a 2 foot cube to a 3'.3" Tank transferred my stock and bought more frags. This tanks been set up 6 weeks. You should have gone to Specsavers. :-)

Then look again and zoom in. I have a good sized Acro far left a few montis another couple of acros as well as frags. A large stylo on the RH side of my central OF.I upgraded form a 2 foot cube to a 3'.3" Tank transferred my stock and bought more frags. There is a large Duncans on thevright plus lots more This tanks been set up 6 weeks. You should have gone to Specsavers. :-)

HecticDialectics

I'm not seeing anything that justifies an algae scrubber over any other normal nutrient control practice at all.

No idea why you think no one else can be right about not preferring an algae scrubber over anything else.

That's not what you said above and that's what I answered not what you are now saying but never mind. Works for me and many others if it doesn't for some that's a shame.

• 1 year later...

I use a hog .5 and I love it. They create a lot of bubbles and creep. So I prefer the hog (admit haven't tried the drop) but with the hog I built a little bubble trap diffuser on rim of my tank attached with magnets so solve this issue. This would be harder with the drop as its sitting on the bottom of a tank. In a sump I would say it is not an issue. They take a while to establish after the first six weeks I was not impressed but by 8 weeks I was. I have to clean gnarly heavy growth every seven days now.

Archived