Top Shelf Aquatics

Cleaning and curing dead rock

Nickbruh510

Nickbruh510

I have a few questions . My wholesaler thre me two buckets of what was suppose to be live rock but he left out a heaters guess he forgot . The bucket smelled like straight doo doo. So I rinse them off gave them a good ass Mauriac acid bath. And then after that. I'm letting them dry again. And then another bath just because they are nasty as hell lmao. Now what? Should I let them dry again rinse thru ro water? And throw in fresh saltwater win a heater and powerhead? For how long lol?

Just put them in a bucket with water and something to move said water.. change it every day or two, whenever the water starts to stink. Once it doesn't stink any more, the rock can go in your tank. Rinse, shake, wire brush the rock every day if you can to make sure you're not missing any gunk

• 2 weeks later...

Power wash, couple days in bleach bath, power wash again, leave outside in sun for a week or two, remove spiders, slugs, crickets, etc from crevices, powerwash again, put in tank.......or, last time i did it it was summer and i threw them in the shallow end of the pool for a week, left in the sun for a week, powerwashed and put in tank. Whatever it takes to make the stink or unwanted crap go away. My tank got over run with red gracillaria that got out of my sump and the dreaded bryopsis. That was last fall, no more algae and rock is again covered in coralline and small feather dusters. Couldn't be happier.

Archived