Pod Your Reef

zebrafish fry as food

Weasel Baron

Weasel Baron

I've been working with zebrafish for a while in my lab, and always wondered if there was any ill effect of feeding my fish w/ fry that are a few days old. considering a single female can produce a couple hundred eggs per clutch, and that the adults are super easy to house, I might start up a couple small 1-2gal tanks for males and females and set up periodic breedings for some diet diversity.

The yolk sac of the fry should make them pretty nutritious for fish/inverts, but I'm wondering if anyone can come up with some reasons not to do it.

Careful there. Are you getting these fry from your laboratory? If youare, you may run into regulatory problems unless you get an approved animal protocol.

Weasel Baron

no, I'd be picking up my breeders from an LFS or online vendor, I just got the idea while spending time in the lab.

also, oddly enough, IACUC doesnt consider them "animals" till day 7, when their yolk sac runs out. weird!

You would be better off with molly fry. Mollies can be adapted to saltwater and their fry will survive in saltwater until eaten.

Weasel Baron

You would be better off with molly fry. Mollies can be adapted to saltwater and their fry will survive in saltwater until eaten.

interesting! and they're as easy to breed as zebrafish?

chrisinator

Probably even easier than Zebrafish. I've been toying with the idea of getting a couple Sailfin Mollies or Balloon Mollies to put into my display sump tank.

Weasel Baron

dang, they're live-birth fish! I dunno how nutritious the fry will be without that delicious yolk sac attached.

The species of dietary calcium (cholecalciferol) varies between fw and marine fish, so feeding fw to marine fish can cause fatty liver disease in the marine animal, thats why I wouldnt feed them in this way. use of fw fish as marine food goes back as far as the hobby goes.

just like a big mac, many live on fatty liver disease food fine for a while lol

in the 90s and up through today, how many lion fish snack on goldies lol. someone should do a super size me meme or viral vid for this lol with a jacked up lionfish on ldl medication and kicking back on a couch with seinfeld in the backround and a triple burger in hand/fin heh

Weasel Baron

The species of dietary calcium (cholecalciferol) varies between fw and marine fish, so feeding fw to marine fish can cause fatty liver disease in the marine animal, thats why I wouldnt feed them in this way. use of fw fish as marine food goes back as far as the hobby goes.

just like a big mac, many live on fatty liver disease food fine for a while lol

in the 90s and up through today, how many lion fish snack on goldies lol. someone should do a super size me meme or viral vid for this lol with a jacked up lionfish on ldl medication and kicking back on a couch with seinfeld in the backround and a triple burger in hand/fin heh

ah, this is what I was curious about. Would the fact that the fry havent ossified change anything? I was hoping the fact that they were larval and were mostly yolk (in terms of net weight) would eliminate any issue w/ vitD

I haven't read to see if thats the case be sure and link back if you find something. I was going off something I read in a book at a college library in 1996 lol they may have better details nowadays. My guess is it still holds since the fry still use dietary calcium for metabolic and muscular processes and they come from a lineage using this certain type of calcium

I think if you used fish fry as marine feed you prob wouldn't notice any bad outcome as its probably a transitional diet onward to something normal in time. I myself have eaten about ten thousand Big Macs (in the 90s now they=yuck lol) its just fun to hash details.

Archived