inTank Media Baskets

New tank developments

Juuls

Thank you, I am less nervous about the anemone then I am about the euyphilla, really tempted to take that away.

However I will invest in gloves just to be on the safe side.

You should try ask around for a reefing club in Qatar, you can get cheaper/rarer corals from other hobbyists. I didnt realize there was a reefing club in Hong Kong until I asked the owner of an LFS. It's also more likely for there to be more than 2 reefing stores in your area, I'm sure a local reefing club could provide you with more info. I recently found out there's about 50 reefing/saltwater stores in Hong Kong :o

HI and as always thank you again,

I hope the clam arrived safely.

I know there are a few shops but only two which are worth going to here :) 50 shops must be wonderful, I'd be travelling between shops all week.

I am probably going to learn the easier way and have the guys maintain my tank at first with me spectating, then as i get confident I can join in.

I know of no clubs yet, that is not to say there are no arabic ones.

Yesterday I caught a glimpse of what the man in the shop has done to my 'rock in a box full of water' and it looks like a different tank entirely with just a few things in place, my son was delighted. plus he has 2 extra special clownfish :) I wish I had taken pictures before he has added anything now.

The tank should be installed by the end of the week, I can't believe it has come around so fast since January. I will post a thread for it, but it;s certainly not the dazzling tank some people have here, at least it's something good to start out with and learn and grow :)

Good luck with your new tank! The best thing you can do is read as much as you can here on NR, and don't be shy about posting questions :)

Thank you I imagine there will be lots of questions, however I can't remember being this nervous since my driving test.

no matter how much reading and how much practice it's all going to go live tonight or tomorrow night.

I'm excited and so very nervous in case I mess it up and kill everything.

Thank you I imagine there will be lots of questions, however I can't remember being this nervous since my driving test.

no matter how much reading and how much practice it's all going to go live tonight or tomorrow night.

I'm excited and so very nervous in case I mess it up and kill everything.

Yupp The clam is doing great! Don't have a picture yet, cause my tank looks bad atm due to my pump and protein skimmer breaking at the same time. Hopefully my new gear arrives soon! :D

Don't stress out! The first few weeks will probably be quite relaxing. On your first few weeks you might catch some cool freebies pop out of the live rock.

Well he's a picture of the tank and I am not a photographer as you can tell. Sorry nothing stunning. There is a black and white Ocellaris and a standard orange one in the tank.

Also the corals actually come out a lot more now too, they really can stretch themselves out. The clowns like the back of the tank under the filter which means they are leaving the corals alone thankfully.

I have learnt a lot in one weekend and found a lot.

1. Snails and hermit crab have failed to make an appearance, as such I now have 2 trochus.

2. The sand shifting starfish has never shifted faster than the speed it went to the snail before wrapping around it. -starfish is going back to LFS today.

3. The feather duster threw it's crown within a few hours of being relocated.

4. polyp'y' things are actually interesting they move. They appear to have a sponge on them (can't see from this angle).

unnamed%201_zpsnqkxr9vr.jpg

5. Corals open and close in the evening to varying degrees, I do not know if this is normal but they all seem to tuck away to some extent.

6. Apparently the starburst I was going to get was replaced when I insisted I liked something close to the starburst that was not starburst I believe it is a flowerpot, but could be wrong.

A few areas which I find interesting and am continuing to investigate in the tank once I identify and know for sure what things are I will update this.

tickles%20tank%20labels_zps7unruzry.jpg

A. Shells disappear quickly into this hole no other signs of life with or without lights on.

B. Something (possibly shrimp like) greyish and small lives in here. It is fast and shy. The tank gives out one click occasionally on the first couple of days days but not anymore. In addition there is some sort of worm I think the Starfish spent a fair amount of time there and this little fellow hid in the rock. it's about 4mm dia, white circular web/fan and pops in and out as it cares to.

C. A what looks like a hairy red/brown crab about the size of a British penny comes up here in the evening. I believe it is equipped with motion and light sensors so took a while to see.

Awesome rock work! Looks really nice :lol:

That Goniopora (flowerpot) might be a challenge if you decide to keep it! They're known as being mysterious as to what water conditions etc they need. Some people do great with them, other don't. One of my first corals was actually a goni (same color), but my clown killed when trying to host (chewed off polyps). Don't fret though, everyone's experience is different and clownfish have different personalities (mine just happens to be quite aggressive).

Im sure more hitchhikers will show up over time. I'd keep an eye on that crab though, might not be reef safe.

The shrimp at B might be a pistol shrimp (generally harmless and keeps sand clean, but there are certain exceptions)

Worms tend to be aight.

The coral in the first image looks like a paly, very similar to zoas (i believe they are in the same genus) (someone correct me if I'm wrong though)

Looks really good so far, I'm sure it'll look even better once you put more corals in :P

love the coral near B (is it a frogspawn?)

Thank you again for your constant support of my new beginnings into this marine fish keeping :)

I will try and get a nicer picture of my frogspawn, it's really quite pretty when it comes out. These pictures are from an hour or so after the tank was brought into the house, so the frogspawn did not come out properly for the photo.

I did try and find out as the brown and green one looks like buttons but has tall stalks, ultimately it's not very pretty until you put it under a blue light then it goes green.

I think 3 corals is brave enough for now, if I can keep them alive for a while I may consider another more colourful one somewhere :D

I hope you managed to get the skimmer and your tank sorted out it really is pretty.

Thank you again for your constant support of my new beginnings into this marine fish keeping :)

I will try and get a nicer picture of my frogspawn, it's really quite pretty when it comes out. These pictures are from an hour or so after the tank was brought into the house, so the frogspawn did not come out properly for the photo.

I did try and find out as the brown and green one looks like buttons but has tall stalks, ultimately it's not very pretty until you put it under a blue light then it goes green.

I think 3 corals is brave enough for now, if I can keep them alive for a while I may consider another more colourful one somewhere :D

I hope you managed to get the skimmer and your tank sorted out it really is pretty.

No problem, I really enjoy helping newer people out, I know I was really oblivious to what I was doing when I first started (soon to be a year). Although, I still sometimes am.

Your frogspawn looks great even without full polyp extension; love that green! Most corals tend to pop in blue light (not sure why though, probably due to the color absorption in Zooxanthellae). Yeah, frogspawn is a great choice, they tend to be quite hardy.

The paly will be able to spread quite readily, an option might be to create a garden of different color palies and zoas.

Yea, my skimmer arrived and is "breaking in" in my main display. Tons of micro bubbles popping out, but I made a small sponge muffle to reduce the amount of them. Hopefully my pump arrives by monday, so I can put it in my over flow box (it's quite an eyesore right now). Managed to sell my giant toadstool leather coral, since it was getting too big. I managed to rake in a $50USD profit from that :DD. Also sold my blue/green and orange acan for a $10usd profit.

I think a good colorful coral, hardy and peaceful coral would be blastos (they're my new thing atm). I bought a small blasto colony to replace the giant mushroom. Also ordered quite a few more corals (super cheap since I'm buying them from other hobbyists).

new colony looks identical to this:

http://www.pacificaquafarms.com/NewImages/Blasto_wellsi_freak.jpg

you can check out the ones I ordered: (everything is in HKD by the way, roughly 8 HKD= 1 USD

https://www.flickr.com/photos/84474966@N05/

I ordered a124,49,35 and 127.

a49&35 are blastos.

I think i'll start a tank thread once I get my new corals (probably by next saturday), I'll make sure to fill you in ;).

Kinda cool how both our tanks are developing and we're updating each other.

Wow those Blastos look stunning what great colours, I will certainly be following the development of your tank.

Are they difficult to keep?

What are the other bubble type corals that you are getting? the colours on that link are unbelievable.

I found two more odd things in the rocks as well as having an issue with the flowerpot which warranted it's own thread. I think I almost killed it somehow :(

another%20mouth%20type%20thing%20in%20th

a%20thing%20in%20the%20rocks_zpsrd32nedj

The bubble type corals are a type of mushroom called ricordea florida, within the ricordia genus there's two species the ricordea florida and ricordea yuma. A rule of thumb is that all mushroom are really hardy (the most hardy relative to LPS, SPS and NPS).

Yea blastos are quite hardy and easy to keep, nothing else required except for light. They are also very peaceful and don't attack other corals.

Those things on your rocks are look like mussels, I have had quite a few of them before. Mussels don't usually survive in the home aquarium, due to lack of nutrients, but you might get lucky. I'd just leave the mussels alone for now

Nothing stays still lol

The snails (I think) as like a mini destruction derby. the morning a feather duster was in the flower pot and the 'Palys' (possibly palys) we thrown off the rock into the substrate, landing polyps down of course!

Nothing stays still lol

The snails (I think) as like a mini destruction derby. the morning a feather duster was in the flower pot and the 'Palys' (possibly palys) we thrown off the rock into the substrate, landing polyps down of course!

haha, if you want stuff to stay still you can grab some putty or aquarium super glue (some people say regular dollar super glue works too, although ive never used them)

helpful vid:

Most glue don't require an accelerator and putty usually comes as one stick.

Glued putty and superglue is usually easy to peel off if you pull on it enough.

That goniopora looks great, very nice colour! If you do decide to keep it, just ensure it is well fed, don't blast it with flow and you shouldn't have any problems with it. Recently got rid of mine, but reef roids 3-4 times a week and the gonis were always extended, and grew very fast.

Best of luck with everything :) Looks like you are off to a great start!!

That goniopora looks great, very nice colour! If you do decide to keep it, just ensure it is well fed, don't blast it with flow and you shouldn't have any problems with it. Recently got rid of mine, but reef roids 3-4 times a week and the gonis were always extended, and grew very fast.

Best of luck with everything :) Looks like you are off to a great start!!

Thank you very much for your comments and the tip regarding the reef roids, I have been researching the coral food and found two little fishes goniopora food, but shall try and find some reef roids. I loved the colour too hence why I chose it :)

At the minute I just have the nano reef Ocean Nutrition formula.

haha, if you want stuff to stay still you can grab some putty or aquarium super glue (some people say regular dollar super glue works too, although ive never used them)

helpful vid:

Most glue don't require an accelerator and putty usually comes as one stick.

Glued putty and superglue is usually easy to peel off if you pull on it enough.

Hehe I think I will tidy after them until I am brave enough to stick them in place ;) Although I do like the idea that there is a chance to peel it off again later, that will help.

Thank you very much for your comments and the tip regarding the reef roids, I have been researching the coral food and found two little fishes goniopora food, but shall try and find some reef roids. I loved the colour too hence why I chose it :)

At the minute I just have the nano reef Ocean Nutrition formula.

Hehe I think I will tidy after them until I am brave enough to stick them in place ;) Although I do like the idea that there is a chance to peel it off again later, that will help.

I've been using fauna marin food for LPS and works great so far:

Demonstration of it been used:

It might not work for your flower pot coral though, but it is good for almost all other LPS corals ( my palys, anemone and some of my mushrooms also react to it)

My frogspawn has been doing strange things;

all of the heads made these stringy things then spent the next morning with thier mouths on display.

DSCI0180_zpsp6gt3zl8.jpg

Since then it has decided it does not wish to open as much certainly not the other three heads nearest to the flowerpot. The flowerpot has also been stretching out so much more it is almost touching the frogspawn now.

Therefore the plan is to rearrange the rock behind the frogspawn and move it up. Also having read what flowerpots like from someone in another post I have a few pieces of smaller rock and may elevate the flowerpot about 1cm from the substrate.

In addition I am now -1 possibly 2 snails.... they have stopped, but the latest one has stopped for a day now so I believe he's a goner :(

I am surprised at the stability of the water but it does need topping up regularly and I did a 20% change at the weekend, plus cleaner the filter and skimmer.

Found - Bristle worm ---- eek :o porcelain crab :wub: random sand colored crab and what could be a gorilla or rock crab - much bigger lost for about 4 days now :unsure:

New want list - this could get expensive

new lights - I like the nano box colors at the moment but really looking into this one.

coral

reefroids

external filter but sorely temped by sumps, reading much more now on this (I see a good chance to get those crabs out and move them to their own location without killing them)

New test kits they have a red sea pack (but I will wait until they are in)

Digital thermometer

Gloves (on their way from the states now)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived