Innovative Marine Aquariums

4k budget for tank build

Griff

Well I may get a lot of flak for this but decided to start big. Just put a deposit down on a red sea reefer 450. 116 gallon water volume 92 gallon display volume 59 inches long. It won't be in till June but based on all the negative reviews I found on cad lights and innovative marine I felt this was the best way to go long term. This also gives me plenty of time to find LEDs power heads and a skimmer second hand and hopefully save some money there. I know I had several comments about not spending so much on this lifestyle so early but I know it's something I want to do and have seriously been thinking it over since early January and have been semi interested for years. It's almost been an obsession for the past 2 months. I find myself researching at every free moment I get. Wish me luck. I'll start my build thread soon as I know I'll need lots of advice getting started.

Allen

Fredericksburg, Va

Nice can't wait to see your progress. Red Sea has made nice pnp systems for awhile. I forget sometimes how spoiled I am to live in so California. We have some very nice custom tank manufacturers here. There seems to be allot of high end used tanks on my local forum. That's probably not the case in Va.

I just wrote a huge response on not to waste money on beginner shit and lost it, sorry.

Oh man that blows...

Anyways, OP, I'm envious of your budget! Hahaha. Of course realize that this is nano-reef, so most of the tanks on here are going to be between 10 and 50 gallons. Reading through some of the responses it seems like a lot of them are steering you toward changing your plans completely and trying to influence aspects of your plans to reduce cost. Of course it's nice to spend less but make sure you get what you want.

To that end, find the tank you like and go for it. I think what people have said about having a sumped setup is generally correct (you gain a ton of flexibility), but AIO tanks have their benefits also. They're cleaner and easier to set up, you don't have to mess with plumbing and associated problems, etc... I would just make sure that you're happy with the tank and you feel confident in it's quality, construction, and warranty. Are there any local tank builders by you? Sometimes that can be a good way to go especially if you have any interest in designing the system yourself (build a stand, have the plumbing set up just-so, have an external overflow, etc...). Obviously designing a system isn't something people typically do for their first tank, but then again most people only spend 1/8 of your budget, so you could potentially hire out the design part or take the time to learn how to do it yourself.

At this stage the best advice I can offer you is take the time to really study other peoples tanks. Look at as many setups as possible and put together a list of the kinds of things you like. Look at tanks in Europe and Japan, look at some of the tanks featured in hobby magazines, and even look at tanks in advertisements. Put together a list and include things like the dimensions you want (envision the tank where it's going to be set up in your home), Rimless or rimmed, artisan style or AGA style, deep or shallow, low-iron glass or not, sumped system or AIO, style of lighting you want, types of fish and corals you want, even your preferred style of rock scape.

This will help you immensely toward enjoying the hobby long-term. Most people don't get to start out with a large build, so this is a real nice opportunity - take your time with it and dont be persuaded to change what you want to accomplish with this tank. The best tanks are carefully planned out!

SchnauzerFace

I've never owned (or even seen, I don't think) a Red Sea tank, but I absolutely love Red Sea products (salt, testing kits, Aiptasia X, NoPox, Ca/Mg/Kh supplements, and the two-part "Reef Energy" have all worked perfectly in my tanks).

Just looked at pics and that's a pretty sext setup. I'm jealous! I have to wonder why the white stand/canopy is $100 more than the black stand/canopy, but I imagine there's a good reason...I guess?

Can't wait to see your tank as it gets running, and looking forward to seeing it thrive over the years to come :)

Congrats!

Thanks for the replies. I've been measuring different locations in my house for weeks for 4 5 and 6ft tanks. I decided on the Red Sea because of their reputation for quality and customer service. My next step is to order my rodi unit and build my salt mixing station. I'm waiting for brs to restock their units. I want the one with the TDS meter built in. If I recal its 199. Also need to stop by Home Depot and get 2 or 3 brute trash cans. My plan is to tap into the water line in my utility room. Most of my research right now is looking at others salt mixing stations for ideas.

In regards to finding custom tanks here, you're right the pickings are slim. I've only found one rimless over 70g. He wanted 5k for his complete setup which was a fair price if you add in his live stock too. He wasn't however willing to sell the live stock first then Part out the rest to me. I couldn't see spending that on his setup though as I'll still be learning and my tank once cycled will be getting corals and live stock at an ultra slow pace. At least until I feel I've got a handle on things and very consistent schedule.

Yeah I've been doing this for years and I'm just now realizing I want a salt mixing station! Hahaha... I've done plenty of research on them in the past, but never actually decided to set one up... Let us know what design you come up with.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read ALL the replies, so i might've missed it, but i would suggest a good controller as part of your setup.

I am a newbie to saltwater as well and setting up and using controls to do much of my eyeballing of my tank has been very valuable. I measure ph and temp in the display and sump (in the back, i have an AIO) i log all of my parameters, control my heaters in stages, control lights and moonlighting and pumps.

I feel like i have a lot to learn, and freshwater is so much more forgiving of changes and additives than salt appears to be. Having all that past data and knowing the status of things whenever helps reduce the urge to "fix" things if it is something i happen to notice that is "normal"

Just my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...

I cancelled this build because we recieved a 1500 gas bill we weren't expecting. It's a long story and no point to get into. I am however still very interested in starting a reef tank and have decided to pick up an IM Nuvo Fusion 30L. I hope to pick it up this weekend and will start my build thread when I start my cycle. Thanks for all the comments and support, I look forward to sharing my build with you all and learning along the way.

BurningChrome

I just put together an IM 30L. I am very new to the hobby, just finishing my 6th week, but I am very happy with the tank. I picked up the suggested stand from IM as well, and I wish it had been packaged a little better and made of better material, but it holds the tank and is not unattractive. Good Luck, I look forward to seeing your build.

Steensj2004

I cancelled this build because we recieved a 1500 gas bill we weren't expecting. It's a long story and no point to get into. I am however still very interested in starting a reef tank and have decided to pick up an IM Nuvo Fusion 30L. I hope to pick it up this weekend and will start my build thread when I start my cycle. Thanks for all the comments and support, I look forward to sharing my build with you all and learning along the way.

Life happens man! Looking forward to your build. In all honesty, its easier then you might think to dump 4k into even a Nuvo 30L. lol. Go with a Nanobox fixture!

Frustrating when life kicks a blinder towards you, I can honestly say there is no regrets from me having started small, instead of picking up the 60 gal I took a much smaller tank from a great lfs who have been so helpful, 2 water changes through everything looks better than when it arrived, one new frag and a brain to add the bug is catching.

I'm sure you'll love the 30l and it's a slightly more economical way to find out if you will enjoy the hobby :) I look forward to seeing what you make of your new build :)

First let me give a big shout out to Tiki Corals for thier help today. I couldn't be more impressed with the knowledge and friendlyness of the owners there. This is my first dive into a salt water setup so comments and advice are appreciated. I hope to start my cycle this weekend.

Equipment:

IM Nuvo Fusion 30 Long with stand.

Skimmer ghost? Have not purchased yet

Heater with digital probe and temp setting

Dry pukani

Fiji pink live sand

Lights will be LEDs but deciding between kessil 160's and AI new single puck design

BRS refractometer

Livestock: (plan)

2clowns

1 citri clown goby

1 fire shrimp

1 emerald crab

1 electric blue hermit

2 other small hermits

5-10 small snails

The rest of the live stock I'm still undecided on. I Like the purple fire fish, dotty backs, green chromis.

I'm definitely open to criticism on the live stock. I don't want to over stock. I do realize I need to add the fish slowly. I was thinking at a pace of 1 a month with exception of the clowns. Hoping to eventually get to 5-7 nano fish. If all goes well I hope to do a 5 or 6ft 120-150 gallon next year or the year after.

ReefSafeSolutions

Those Nuvo 30's are awesome!! I think you'll really dig it.

My only suggestion with livestock, fish in particular, is to start with the fish that are more timid. I've seen clowns pick on new fish in the tank, firefish in particular. To the point that the firefish died, actually. Not sure if the clowns were to blame, but I'm sure the stress from the clowns didn't help.

So if you can let the more timid fish acclimate to the tank first and stake their claim on territory, and then add clowns and other fish that can sometimes be aggressive, I think you'll be better off.

Archived