Coral Vue Hydros

Think dog ate Purple Firefish. Are they poisonous?

TEKWRX

This afternoon I found an odd pile of mush on my porch. Looking closer, I noticed some purple and red colors, and what looks like a tail fin. Scoping it up with a twig and getting a closer look it smells like a dead fish and I see what looks like black dog hair mixed in. Now, I observed the purple firefish swimming around and eating during feed time. Only had it about 2 weeks, it never seemed stressed, but it did hide in the rocks constantly except when I turn off all the pumps during feeding time. I know they are jumpers, so I have a BRS mesh top on the tank, but there is a one inch gape in the very back of the tank due to my Kessin goosneck. I also had the top off lats night for about an hour while doing some maintenance.

Anyway, I'm think the only way it made it out to the porch in the condition it was in was if our Boston terrier found it on the floor after jumping, the vomited it up later on. Now our dog is acting a bit "off". We feed her a mix of raw food and grain free soft food, and she is always extremely excited when we feed her and she woofs it down in minutes. But this morning, she took one bit then walked away. Won't touch it. I can also hear her stomach making noises. So my wife and I are worried something is wrong due to chewing up the firefish. Does anybody know if the are edible or poisonous? We don't know what we should do. Tried googling, but didn't find much. :unsure:

Eek. Firefish have the oddist smell when out of water. It makes me gag. I would say the dog just has an upset stomach.

But to be cautious...call a veterinarian and ask. Sorry about your fish and uncomfortable pup.

I had a purple firefish vanish--I'm fairly confident he jumped, as I had rescued him from the floor on numerous occasions. When I transferred tanks, he was nowhere to be found so either the dog or the cat got him. Both of my land-based animals are still alive...

Archived