Top Shelf Aquatics

5th Time reefer, First time nano!

Poet

The wife has put her foot down and the tank is being evicted :( .. Sad day, lots of reasons and I do agree with her in some part. I found a tank that will fit nicely on a cabinet I was using for Ca reactor. It's 18" face, 18" high, 20" front to back with a 4" compartment. ~25-28g?

U8PbfQG.jpg

Zl8sZIJ.jpg

My preference would be to drill and sump it, otherwise a skimmer in the back (least preferred.)

Taking down my MH/T5/LED combo and just using the LEDs, don't have much experience with led only but I've tried to imitate triton Lani LEDs. I have 12 cool white, 12 cool blue, 8 420nm violet. White/Blue running at 2w/750mA each. Violets at 1w/350mA each. They are spaced apart and should cover a fair amount of 18"x16", with no optics I'm hoping they'll punch down 18", being only 56w I am worried.

I will be keeping some of my SPS (mostly staghorns) as I've always been a glow stick fan. I'm also a bit concerned with SPS in such a small system. I will start off BareBottom and consider sand at a later stage.

Flow will me an MP20 and an MP10.

Skimmer- I'm lost here, would like to utilise my spare Beckett injector and the aquabee2000/1 from my CaRx, somehow I think a KZ Revolution M would be a tad big :(. Might modify a smaller skimmer body.

I am also lost when it comes to KH/CA, the reactor is far too big for this system, I do have two dosing pumps, but i may look into kalkwasser? Never used it before, will have to search it up.

One more thing I may look into is Zeovit basics, as it will be rather cheap on this size, and I've never had the same results since running zeo a few years ago.

I guess I'm asking you guys to go over my plans, make sure I'm going in the right direction. Feedback is very much appreciated. Regards; Poet.

Welcome to N-R.com.

You could run a Tunze DOC 9001 skimmer in the back. Are there overflow teeth or is it just a glass baffle creating a back chamber?

If you are planning on SPS, you will probably still have to dose two part (even if you dose Kalc).

Cheers seabass and ndrobey. There are teeth there, not sure if I'll remove them for more efficiency. I could use the back, but I'm not sure I like the idea of a skimmer cup hanging over the top.

Considering- Coral Box D300 skimmer;

Suitable for 150L to 350L Tank (**BULL**)

Jebao DC1200 Pump

Watt: 4W to 10W

Power: 110v to 240V 50/60hz

Pump Capacitly: 400 to 1200Litres/hours

Size: 145x145x450mm

Air Intake: 180 Litres/hour

s-l1000.jpg

The 180l/h has me worried, but I know the DC won't last and I'll just nod it to be a Beckett.

Sump is 18"X11"X12" high, the Becker will take a fair bit of that, either going to have no baffles or seperate it length-wise :/

Archived