inTank Media Baskets

aldawg973

So i got lucky and found a 8 inch clam on Thursday for 100 bucks and want to know what type it is. Also about a month ago i got a tiny one and want to know what type it is also.

post-65071-0-98525500-1425154920_thumb.jpg

The tiny one looks like a squamosa to me due to the ridges on the shell and shape of mantle. The pattern on the larger one reminds me of a derasa but the mantle shape reminds me of a squamosa or a maxima. Can you snap a pic of the shell? Also is the mantle brown, gold or blue on that bigger guy? Usually speaking Id'ing clams comes down to shell shape, mantle shape, and finally as a last resort mantle pattern/color.

It's gotta be a squamosa or maxima. The mantle doesnt match a derasa at all.

Ya the pattern looks very similar to my derasa but I agree. I am leaning toward maxima since squamosa's aren't usually that extended.

Looks like a squamosa to me. Imo they are normally much more extended when that size than maximas. $100? What a steal, I'm jealous.

The bigger one looks like a squamosa and the smaller one looks like a maxima. The bigger one could be seen as a Derasa, but a Derasa doesnt have that many ruffles or well defined ruffles, and the patterns on the bigger clam looks like it's a squamosa than a maxima.

Ya I have to change my answer now i think the smaller one is a maxima and the large one is a squamosa. I agree the big one is very unique! Nice find!!!

Archived