Coral Vue Hydros

Mistake?

OpFor

Hi. I am new to the saltwater keeping. Im already hooked bad! There a local shop here that is notorious for not keeping proper care of any critter that comes through its doors. I was there because they had some small rubble peices I can use for my frags. I saw this Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish. I rescued him. . .hes now in my 30gal. tank. Ive had him for two days now, and hes still not eating anything. I want him well fed so he won't eat my other fish in there. . .did I just make a tragic mistake?

I can almost guarantee he will eat anything his own size. Most other nano sized fish will not be able to live with him. Cool fish though!! I would recommend making it a species only tank. Some people have luck keeping them with clowns etc. but its very risky. Try feeding him live feeder minnows or frozen silversides. Also you can try soaking his food in garlic extract by Kent, as that can stimulate their appetite. It is not a mistake if you can get him eating and he is the only one in that tank. Those fish have tons of personality and are very beautiful. They are reef safe, just not shrimp and small fish safe lol

He is an awesome fish. Still hard to believe something so small can fit a chromis in his mouth! Hes eaten two so far, thank God he hasnt gotten my Ruby Red Scooter yet. I got a smaller tank that fits inside with holes in for water circulation. I think I might keep him in there until he's more adjusted to the tank schedule and I see him regularly eating. I got some frozen krill and silversides, will get the garlic and see if that works. It certainly worked for my other fish! (Got marine flakes with garlic along with spirulina shrimp frozen.) If worse comes to worse, I guess once I get my nitrate levels under control in my other tank, he can go there. Nothing but coral in that one. I knew he would eat anything he can fit in his mouth, but not knowing how well fed he had been at the LFS I probably should have thought about the smaller tank before he ate two of my chromis. He is such a cute little dude, I just want to take the best possible care of my tanks as I can. Before I got them, I did a ton of research, but there are so many conflicting things out there. I also got some frozen squid too for some variety. I think my purple firefish might both preferr that. Haha. Spoilies.

Alrighty, I know it hasnt been that long since my first post about my fuzzy dwarf. He is eating, and I made a box with some holes in it to go onto the side of the tank.

If I do decide to not take care of him anymore, I wont be returning him to that hell hole I got him from. There is one place in town that specializes in all things marine. I am going to ask the owner if they would like him. I want to give this a fair shot though, I took the intial responsibility of him. I dont want to just drop him off at the pound like some unwanted puppy because he chews my shoes.

I do want to take the best care of him I can. I turned the lights down for him and got some krill, squid and silversides. Hes just really cool, I wish I didnt have to worry about him eating my other tank inhabitants.

Alrighty, I know it hasnt been that long since my first post about my fuzzy dwarf. He is eating, and I made a box with some holes in it to go onto the side of the tank.

If I do decide to not take care of him anymore, I wont be returning him to that hell hole I got him from. There is one place in town that specializes in all things marine. I am going to ask the owner if they would like him. I want to give this a fair shot though, I took the intial responsibility of him. I dont want to just drop him off at the pound like some unwanted puppy because he chews my shoes.

I do want to take the best care of him I can. I turned the lights down for him and got some krill, squid and silversides. Hes just really cool, I wish I didnt have to worry about him eating my other tank inhabitants.

That is the ongoing worry of every lion fish owner! It is the reason I never replaced mine when he died. I felt that I got lucky with mine and didn't want to chance it with another one.

Orrr.... you could just set up another tank ;) That fish couldn't have been too cheap...

Or, you could sell/trade it to a local reefer for a different fish or some corals.

I actually got him for 25.00. Paid more for my Moyers Dragonet. . . actually paid more for just about everything in the tank except some corals and the chromis.

I actually am planning on a set up for a 55 or larger next year sometime. I think that a year is a long time to be cooped up in a small box though. A LFS called Oceans Paradise said they would take him if he didn't work out. They take great care of all thier livestock. Hoping he works out though, he is so cool. He is mad at me though for sticking him in that box. Keeps turning his back to me. At least hes eating. Loves the saltwater feeder shrimp, not so much liking the frozen krill or silverside.

They don't need tons of space, but more than a small acrylic box definitely.

Why not set up a cheap tank for it? Could be a 10 or 20g You don't need to use live rock or anything. Put down some sand, some rocks or plastic plants, etc... Actually the simpler the better - makes for easier cleaning. Use an HOB filter for filtration and flow. You wouldn't need anything fancy for a light either.

Obviously some people go all out on their species tanks but I think a small acrylic box inside your 30g isn't going to cut it for anything beyond temporary.

I realize that, I have a 10gal. It only has a Lawnmower blenny in it until the algae gets more under control. I rearranged it though, it looks alot more like a reef now, but I dont think theres much room in there for him.

At this point, he might just go in there for now. Strictly temporary. I will be setting up at least a 55gal. sometime next year, the can move fish there and he can get that 30gal. all to himself. Does anyone think he will outgrow the 10gal. before I can get that other tank set up? Theres more variables involved too I think, but I really want to keep him.

Archived