Cultivated Reef

Nuvo 16 Stock pump flow too strong?

Pseudoshrub

Does anyone who owns the Nuvo 16 with the stock pump find that the water flow is too strong?

I plan on keeping only Soft corals and a few LPS corals, but currently have one SPS frag of Hydnophora who is loving the flow from the stock pump. However my candy cane, elegance, doughnut, Gonipora and symphillia all shrivel up and are about ready to die on me. But as soon as I turn the pump off (= no flow) I get polyp extensions. I've banished those flow-shy coral to the low flow areas of the tank, but it seems like its not working.

I've googled here and there and I'm finding that people mostly want to UPGRADE the pump and get even more flow!

Please share your experiences. Maybe I'm doing something else wrong?

I'm also looking for any suggestions about how I can reduce this flow without having to buy a new pump.

I have a Nuvo 16 with many of the corals you listed above and its quite the opposite. I upgraded to a Sicce Syncra 1.5 which is 357gph and the coral love it. Can you take some pictures and post it here? There has to be something else going on, the stock NUVO 16g pump 100% isn't the issue here. Also, list all of your water measurements and equipment.

firemonster20

I just got a nuvo 16 and so far I think I will be planning to upgrade the pump, with the set up they created with the Y design for 2 returns off of one pump seems to really limit the flow, I am interested to see if the spin stream nozzles change the flow rate.

Chief Reefer

I just got a nuvo 16 and so far I think I will be planning to upgrade the pump, with the set up they created with the Y design for 2 returns off of one pump seems to really limit the flow, I am interested to see if the spin stream nozzles change the flow rate.

I have 2 spin streams on my 30L - they reduce flow coming from the stock pump considerably. I am planning to upgrade, or get a gyre.

firemonster20

I cant imaging they reduce the flow as much as the stock flat nozzles do, and if I upgraded the pump also that would probably help.

Archived