Innovative Marine Aquariums

Parasite Help (Urgent!)!

Bingo1213

I have a Lyertail Anthias who went through 3 weeks of quarantine with no problems. I added him to the display a few days ago and he got picked on pretty badly by my clownfish but now everything seems to have calmed down. Today I noticed the had had a few ich spots(which I am not concerned about as I have had good luck with ich in the past), what is more concerning to me is that I just saw him poop white stringy stuff. I know this is often associated with internal parasites but can it also be a symptom of ich? I am assuming he got stressed by my stupid clown which weakened his immune system. Soooo is it possible he has both ich and internal parasites? Also what should I do next? He is pretty small so I don't think I could catch him without tearing down the tank. Is there an in tank treatment I should try? Also if he has internal parasites how do I keep it from spreading to my other fish? If the anthias dies its not the end of the world but I don't want to lose my other fish. Please let me know what I should do!! Thanks! Also the tanks water parameters are good, I just tested and the anthias is very active and eats tons, 4 times a day. So he doesn't seem very sick to me!

Water Parameters

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 2

Phosphate: 0

Ph: 8

Temperature: 79.1

Calcium: 390

Alkalinity: 10.9

Magnesium:1250

Copper: 0

Salinity: 1.025

Without pics it's hard to say, but I would pull all the fish out and QT all of them in a couple of 10Gs. Just do TTM on them and use Prazi on two of the transfers, that should get almost anything. If ich is in the display your display needs to be without fish for at least 8 weeks.

TTM takes 2 weeks, but it is pretty much 100% certain to remove ich from a fish.

Can prazzi be used in a reef tank? I have heard mixed things on that. Can ich cause white stringy poop or is that only caused by internal parasites?

I can take pics too! The fish currently looks very healthy to me other than a few spots that seem to have actually gone away for the most part. The spots seem to often be worse in the morning!

As I said earlier, I had a fire fish bring in ich about a year ago (before I started using a QT) and I was able to save that fish and the 6 others I had at the time never got it. I have a good UV sterilizer as well as use lots of garlic and vitachem. Seemed to work very effectively. It took about 4 weeks for the fire fish to clear up and that was the end of it. I am more worried about internal parasites.

Here are the pics. Like I said the spots are usually only visible before the white lights turn on in the mornings, you can't see them very well in the pic. They are there but are very faint. But you get a feel for his color and weight!

post-85115-0-16210300-1425000785_thumb.jpg

post-85115-0-22564400-1425000796_thumb.jpg

If you never did a fallow period you will need to remove all of your fish from the display for at least 8 weeks to get rid of it, and you need to treat all of the fish for ich as well. Otherwise with things like garlic and UV you are just masking the symptoms but all of your fish are infected.

You can use Prazipro in a reef but I do not advise it.

If you never did a fallow period you will need to remove all of your fish from the display for at least 8 weeks to get rid of it, and you need to treat all of the fish for ich as well. Otherwise with things like garlic and UV you are just masking the symptoms but all of your fish are infected.

You can use Prazipro in a reef but I do not advise it.

This is where I will disagree with you...I had this same thing happen in another tank where I had ich in the first 3 months. That tank was setup for around 4 years and I never had another ich outbreak. No UV on that tank either. Also no fallow period. I even added more fish about 2 months after this outbreak with absolutely no signs what so ever of ich. If you can keep the fishes immune systems up, then they can fend it off just like they do in the wild. After a while goes by where the fish fend it off, the ich dies out due to not having a host. I have seen it happen on two separate occasions now in two different tanks none the less. Ich is always present in the ocean and yet somehow we have fish in the ocean. That to me says the fish can either build up an immunity, or have a good enough immune system to fight it off. I know you will disagree with me, but this is what I have seen based on my experiences.

Now back to what I asked about. Does anybody know if ich can cause the white stringy poop or is that purely from internal parasites.

Archived