Cultivated Reef

PRICE DROPS: AI Hydra TwentySix (-$100) and FiftyTwo (-$50)

Marine Depot

Great lights but my only question is Why ?

I posted in your other thread, but for anyone who sees this first:

AI also now makes the Prime, which is a $200 wifi-controlled full spectrum LED light. This light, even though it's made/sold by the same company, eats into their hydra 26 sales, as 2 of the AI Primes would cost what a single Hydra 26 cost (until this price drop), but would allow for better control via wifi than the hydra, and more versatility in light configuration as 2 individual units could be more readily placed anywhere than a single unit with 2 clusters. They had to drop the price of the hydra units otherwise no one would buy them. They made more competition for themselves...

Way to screw over the early adopters, how about a rebate?

We haven't received any communications about manufacturer rebates being offered. Sorry about that!

Early adopters as in release of the hydra or early adopters like a week ago? Price drops happen all the time after a new product hits the market or a product has been around for a while, like they hydra. If you just recently bought the light, contact AI/Ecotech and see what they can do. If you've had the light for like a year... I'd just keep on keeping on. You're not likely to get any refund or anything. That's just business.

Marine Depot

Pity you couldn't have done this two months ago.

Sorry about that. AI actually sets the pricing for their products so unfortunately it's beyond our control. We love these lights though and are happy to see more hobbyists picking them up now.

Sorry about that. AI actually sets the pricing for their products so unfortunately it's beyond our control. We love these lights though and are happy to see more hobbyists picking them up now.

I really don't understand how consumers think that YOU are the ones who control the pricing. AI decides what the price will be and when. How is it THAT difficult to understand?

Marine Depot

I really don't understand how consumers think that YOU are the ones who control the pricing. AI decides what the price will be and when. How is it THAT difficult to understand?

Although common in other industries (consumer electronics, for example), MAP pricing is a more recent phenomena in the hobby and did not used to be as prevalent. Shoppers may just be used to retailers having more wiggle room for promotions and discounts depending on what their other interests are and what they are exposed to. MAP agreements do level the playing field a bit for retailers, but it would be nice to have the flexibility to offer something unique to differentiate ourselves to make shoppers want to buy from us (say, an incentive for pre-ordering, for example). But we truly don't mind explaining the pricing situation so folks understand our position. We would if we could! Fortunately, pretty much all the brands that have MAP pricing offer great products and support so in most instances customers feel they get what they paid for. Until the price drops, of course...

I understand, the 26 sales would crater after the Prime came out unless there was a price drop. I was just setting up a new tank needed lights and couldn't wait. That's the way it goes in this hobby.

Comment was directed at AI, how is THAT so difficult to understand?

Comment was directed at AI, how is THAT so difficult to understand?

You didn't specify AI anywhere in your statement so there is no way I could have known that it was directed at anyone other than the starter of this thread, Marine Depot. This also happens to be a thread for Marine Depot, not AI. My comment also was not just directed at you.

Pity you couldn't have done this two months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the advantage of the Hydra 26 over Prime?

Like say if I got a 60" tank.... 3 Hydra 26 vs 4 Prime

78 leds vs 52 leds

Marine Depot

What is the advantage of the Hydra 26 over Prime?

Like say if I got a 60" tank.... 3 Hydra 26 vs 4 Prime

Here are some comparison charts AI provided us with the release of the Prime to help hobbyists decide.

If you still have questions, just let us know!

AI%2BPrime%2Band%2BHydra%2BComparison%2B

AI%2BPrime%2Band%2BHydra%2BComparison%2B

Marine Depot

Will the prime leds reach down to 24"?

Without having actually tested the light ourselves and based on the information the manufacturer has provided, we wouldn't recommend using the Prime if you're intending to reach those depths. AI states the Prime has a peak PAR of 500µMol at a depth of 12", so we probably wouldn't use it for tanks deeper than 20" (with corals arranged at appropriate depths in the aquascape to suit their individual needs).

Archived