SaltCritters.com

Cad 34 Mini

Mike00726

I have a question on the water level of the back chambers. What is ideal?

Also, it looks like some older models have a baffle which allows the skimmer to hang on and sit lower than tank level, but the one I have has no baffle, so is it ok to sit on the bottom?

Thanks

That's interesting, unless CAD changed something recently, there should be a false baffle for the skimmer to hang on.

As for water level, so that the water level remains the same in the skimmer chamber, you want to run it right at the top of the last baffle. That way, the water level only changes in the pump chamber, which is where you would want to set up your ATO. That way, your skimmer always has the same water height and will function properly.

Thanks cchsoracle.

Mike: there actually is 2 ways to install the skimmer. the 1st ay is to use the false wall for the skimmer bracket to hang onto. the 2nd way is to use the skimmer like a normal sump skimmer as it has bottom suction cups just the larger PLS-100 does. the PLS-50 Elite can be used hanging and bottom of the sump.

Thanks so much

Scott

That's interesting, unless CAD changed something recently, there should be a false baffle for the skimmer to hang on.

As for water level, so that the water level remains the same in the skimmer chamber, you want to run it right at the top of the last baffle. That way, the water level only changes in the pump chamber, which is where you would want to set up your ATO. That way, your skimmer always has the same water height and will function properly.

If you get a chance, could you post a picture of how you have your rear chambers set up, maybe in your tank thread? I'm new to this and wouldn't be surprised if I'm doing it incorrectly.

If you get a chance, could you post a picture of how you have your rear chambers set up, maybe in your tank thread? I'm new to this and wouldn't be surprised if I'm doing it incorrectly.

I'll try to remember to take a couple pictures tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sue this is too high, but I am not sure what works best

Sorry guys, I just got around to taking pictures of my tank this past weekend. Here is a picture of how I have mine set up. You couldn't really see the baffle that seperates the pump chamber from the skimmer chamber so I drew it in red. You can see that my water height is right at the top of the baffle. This forces any water level changes due to evap to occur in the pump chamber, not in the skimmer chamber. My ATO is set up in the pump chamber along with the return pump, fwiw.

16631017158_d02168ac27_h.jpgDSCN4640 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Thanks. Doe

Sorry guys, I just got around to taking pictures of my tank this past weekend. Here is a picture of how I have mine set up. You couldn't really see the baffle that seperates the pump chamber from the skimmer chamber so I drew it in red. You can see that my water height is right at the top of the baffle. This forces any water level changes due to evap to occur in the pump chamber, not in the skimmer chamber. My ATO is set up in the pump chamber along with the return pump, fwiw.

16631017158_d02168ac27_h.jpgDSCN4640 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Thanks. But does this make the overall tank water level low?

Thanks. Doe

Thanks. But does this make the overall tank water level low?

Not at all. Water level fluctuations in any tank, sumped or AIO, will always appear in the chamber where the pump is. Your display will remain constant, as long as your overflow does not get clogged. The only time my display ever changes water height is when my filter floss starts to clog up and the overflow does not let water into the back chambers as fast as usual.

I am pretty sure CAD designed this tank to be used in the manner in which I depicted above. If you run the water height in the rear chambers any higher than that last baffle, then the baffle might as well not even be there. When you raise the water above that baffle, it pretty much combines the skimmer and pump chambers into 1 chamber. Then, any evap that occurs will drop the water height in that "combined" chamber. When using the CAD lights skimmer, and this is probably true for other skimmers as well, any fluctuation in water height throws off the skimmer. Therefor, you really want to keep those 2 chambers separate so that the water height stays consistent in the skimmer chamber.

Hope this helps.

• 8 months later...

Archived