Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help with reefbreeders light

Hydroxin

I'm not great with LEDs but does it look like I don't have enough spread here? The light is 10" above the water with 90 degree optics.

This is at 100%

spy.jpg

This is at 50%

f9fqmh.jpg

it's honestly hard to tell coverage with LEDs with phone photos in my opnion. you more than likely have decent coverage at the sides and higher light in the middle, I just know when I had optics on my reefbreeders fixture it seemed like the center was really bright in photos and the edges looked dim, when in person it looked evenly lit. I didn't even realize my photos made my sides look dim until it was pointed out to me.

that said, I think taking the optics off of my reefbreeders was the second best thing I ever did to it.

Without the optics bare leds are about 120 degrees on paper, in reality the majority of the light with fall into a cone about 1/2 of that. So, with no optics you will see about a 60 degree cone. Bear in mind that when you pull the optics off the par drops about in half and any "disco" just about disappears.

The angle of the LED primary optic and the secondary optic are measured in the same way, so what you said is just going to confuse (what you are inferring is that even though the LED has a wider angle, most of the light still falls in a tighter angle than the secondary optics).

Removing the optics will widen the spread over what is already going on, as well as improve color blending. Just do it. You won't be seeing any negative effects from doing so.

• 2 weeks later...

it's honestly hard to tell coverage with LEDs with phone photos in my opnion. you more than likely have decent coverage at the sides and higher light in the middle, I just know when I had optics on my reefbreeders fixture it seemed like the center was really bright in photos and the edges looked dim, when in person it looked evenly lit. I didn't even realize my photos made my sides look dim until it was pointed out to me.

that said, I think taking the optics off of my reefbreeders was the second best thing I ever did to it.

What else have you done to it?

Archived