Coral Vue Hydros

Chemipure Elite and Phosban

JKUNZ

I'm currently using Chemipure Elite, but want to set-up a reactor to run phosban. Should I remove the elite and go with regular Chemipure, or is the elite ok to use in conjunction with Phosban? Thanks in advance!

-JK

Chemipure elite is basically carbon and GFO in a bag. Chemipure blue adds what amounts to purigen to the mix. If you are going to run phosban in a reactor, save yourself some money and just run carbon, too.

I'd like to know the benefits of using any Chemipure product over straight GFO or GAC. Seems to be just overpriced carbon to me...

The benefit is not having to think about it. Rinse, add it to the tank, done. Some people think it's worth the extra price, other people don't. It works. So does GAC/GFO.

Soo... Seachem's old phosphate remover Phosguard was aluminum based. Do we know the new stuff is not? Typically the white phosphate removers are aluminum based which have been shown to have negative effects in a reef.

Phosguard is still aluminum based, and yes they can have negative effects on a reef, in high enough doses, but so can too much GFO. Anything that can strip nutrients can be bad for a reef. I don't know anything about phosban's composition, but it is probably aluminum based

Phosguard is still aluminum based, and yes they can have negative effects on a reef, in high enough doses, but so can too much GFO. Anything that can strip nutrients can be bad for a reef. I don't know anything about phosban's composition, but it is probably aluminum based

I think the difference is GFO isn't soluable in water like the aluminum based products.

Here's a quote from RHF

Unfortunately, aluminum oxide is not completely insoluble in seawater. I have shown experimentally that aluminum can be released from PhosGuard™, and I have also shown that adding the same amount of released aluminum back into an aquarium can irritate corals, causing them to retract their polyps and otherwise shrink. That effect mirrors what many aquarists reported (prior to this test) as a side effect of using these media. Rinsing the solids before use can reduce the likelihood that small aluminum-containing particulates are released into the aquarium, but it does not prevent the solubilization of aluminum ions from the solid surfaces.

I think the difference is GFO isn't soluable in water like the aluminum based products.

Here's a quote from RHF

Unfortunately, aluminum oxide is not completely insoluble in seawater. I have shown experimentally that aluminum can be released from PhosGuard™, and I have also shown that adding the same amount of released aluminum back into an aquarium can irritate corals, causing them to retract their polyps and otherwise shrink. That effect mirrors what many aquarists reported (prior to this test) as a side effect of using these media. Rinsing the solids before use can reduce the likelihood that small aluminum-containing particulates are released into the aquarium, but it does not prevent the solubilization of aluminum ions from the solid surfaces.

Ah, nice read! I didn't actually realize that the aluminium-based products actually leeched aluminium back into the water column. I wish I could find a better GFO source then. I really don't want to have to buy a dang reactor.

Here's a quote from RHF

:eek:

I'm using Phosguard right now....

Must get new tank up and running with GFO reactor ASAP. :scarry:

Archived