Cultivated Reef

Kimber's Fusion 20: RETIRED!

kimberbee

YOU ARE THE BEST!! Seriously, this is exactly what I wanted and I think the amount is perfect! :wub:

A++++++!!!!!!!!

Yay. I was worried bc I've never shipped rock before :lol:. I swear, not all of that tape was from me.I just reinforced the worn areas.

I'm excited to see your NBR!

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, a box arrived for me at work. Ugh, so heavy what's in here... ROCKS??

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!?

16556815839_3f0cab93a9.jpg

Oh yes, it is rocks...

16741866302_c096da30c5.jpg

The most beautiful and perfect rocks I could ever hope for!

16530948567_81261db183.jpg

And of course, my makeshift tank

16115911374_f2980b0a05.jpg

My seams need work, probably wouldn't hold water. :(

16555568380_236aebf73f.jpg

Scape idea - acans on left rock, gorgs in center/back rock, RFA's on right rock, perhaps an SPS or two on top:

16118269393_1faf593a49.jpg

Yes, there is an arch. No, the Sharpies aren't permanent <_<

16550813460_25426f04ea.jpg

I'll need to epoxy, hopefully that's not hard to do?

16737135972_33f94bd429.jpg

Lots of holes and areas to mount stuff. I also have one rock left I could break up for rubble.

16712328326_b1c88d3361.jpg

What'cha all think??

Me likey. I do wonder about the left rock on the right rock structure, if that makes sense. Removing it would give you more sandbed space if you want something there.

Me likey. I do wonder about the left rock on the right rock structure, if that makes sense. Removing it would give you more sandbed space if you want something there.

More room for RFA's on the rock, but yes, I see what you mean.

Looks nice and balance is good. The only thing you might think about is that the larger structure on the right is sort of turned away (not sure how else to describe it) from the front glass--lots of empty space behind it. Also keep in mind that the slope is going to seem much steeper once it's in the water.

Pinner Reef

Really like that scape, just remember you'll need to prop it up if you're gonna add sand. Use that upper space ;)

I'd be tempted to not have a high rock structure and let the gorgonians give you that height you are looking for. I think the gorgonians and

rock structure would otherwise compete with each other. Just my thoughts :). Your other tank was perfectly designed

so I have no doubts that this one will be too!

I'm so excited for you!!!! I would love to be building a new tank right now....too fun :D.

BF took the last rock and made an arch between the middle and left rock. I kind of like it. I just wanted something a little taller too keep a choice sps or two on so they would get enough light.

I'm on a business trip (oh how fancy) at the end of this week so ill get to sit on this before a final decision.

I like scape #1 a bit better personally. Maybe turning the arc on the right about 45 degrees to face the front at an angle?

If you go with scape #2, maybe breaking up the arch and the structure on the right?

I like scape #1 a bit better personally. Maybe turning the arc on the right about 45 degrees to face the front at an angle?

If you go with scape #2, maybe breaking up the arch and the structure on the right?

I'll consider your ideas! It's sitting on my dinning room table for another week or two. And since I will have to epoxy to get it all to stay, I want to be sure.

I like number two for it's double arches at slightly different heights. What you cant see, at the back of the right arch, there are two perfect holes for nice tall gorgs, as that's what I was to use to help gain depth in the tank.

Now I like the 1st scape!

To be clear, the one you quoted about is scape #2.

As was pointed out out earlier, the arch in scape #1 is very tall, skinny, and would be difficult to place corals on such a vertical rock face.

Here is why scape #2 may be better:

16152406864_31542f28e1.jpgTaDa! by kimothy182, on Flickr

Acans on the bottom left island, RFA's on the bottom right island. There are lots of holes in the back of all islands perfect for gorgs to fill in and for a little height. A choice SPS or two (in blue and green) would have some room to grow on the tops of the arches, perhaps to be filled in with mushrooms, more acans and RFA's.

I was gonna draw a plate or similar for the "sand bed" but my MS paint skills are... meh...

As was pointed out out earlier, the arch in scape #1 is very tall, skinny, and would be difficult to place corals on such a vertical rock face.

Acans on the bottom left island, RFA's on the bottom right island. There are lots of holes in the back of all islands perfect for gorgs to fill in and for a little height. A choice SPS or two (in blue and green) would have some room to grow on the tops of the arches, perhaps to be filled in with mushrooms, more acans and RFA's.

I was gonna draw a plate or similar for the "sand bed" but my MS paint skills are... meh...

You get an A+ for having a finished design in your head right at the get go! I sadly sort of 'wing it' as I am going!

What is that blue SPS coral at the top? Never seen anything so blue! LOL!

Looks good!

What is that blue SPS coral at the top? Never seen anything so blue! LOL!

Looks good!

That's a branching blue-apora. I'm just glad I was able to get a good variety of RFA's for the low low price of FREE!!

That's a branching blue-apora. I'm just glad I was able to get a good variety of RFA's for the low low price of FREE!!

That free stuff is nice. I might have to start a MS Paint Nano soon! :P

Me too, then I might get the color I always wanted from my corals! LOL

Me too, then I might get the color I always wanted from my corals! LOL

The MS Paint tanks offer a lot of flexibility that is hard to get in some nanos. They are really stable, you get great colors from corals, and you don't have to worry as much about adjusting your controller/doser/lighting schedule to make everything happy. You can put ANY fish or ANY coral in them, and everyone will get along (if that's what you want).

I'm not sure WHY there's not a larger market for MS Paint tanks...

The MS Paint tanks offer a lot of flexibility that is hard to get in some nanos. They are really stable, you get great colors from corals, and you don't have to worry as much about adjusting your controller/doser/lighting schedule to make everything happy. You can put ANY fish or ANY coral in them, and everyone will get along (if that's what you want).

I'm not sure WHY there's not a larger market for MS Paint tanks...

Actually, you don't know that there isn't a market for MS Paint tanks? You'd have to market it first! Of course, us old reefers probably couldn't handle the technical challenges.LOL

I like #2 better, and the MS Paint corals really help show how beautiful it will be :) Will you sell me a frag of that blue-apora when it grows out? :flower:

Archived