Top Shelf Aquatics

Ugliest Tank you have ever seen

Dr.Brain Coral

NorthGaHillbilly

The ugliest tank is yours when you walk by and get pissed about that one small thing no one else would notice. Im constantly bouncing between being extremely excited about my tank, and hating the sight of it.

Volvox globator is several millimeters wide so they can be see pretty easily

i can't find pics to determine if its what I seen, also no clue of general distribution

I'm on with LFS having ugly tanks. What the hell? Even the best LFS seems to always have at least one crappy pest ridden display tank.

It's the same in woodworking - you have people talking about their newest Sawstop cabinet saw/Euro combo machine, the fact that the shop has state-of-the-art infloor heating, Lie Nielsen planes, a suite of Festools and 15 different Japanese chisels. Then they post a picture of the birdhouse they made and the hole is off center, the roof doesn't line up and there are gaps everywhere. Meanwhile, some guy is making a 18th century mahogany highboy in his shed with an old Craftsman contractors saw and a broken bottle as a scraper.

But that's how it is with both hobbies - some people are in it for the toys and some are in it for the end product - to each his own.

Ain't nuttin wrong with old craftsman contractor's saws.... Once you tweak 'em.

As I got mine:

ztQ6XQE.jpg

As it is now (you can't see the link belt in the back). Note: Don't use a Nokia Icon to take pictures of things with straight lines:

PqElcpK.jpg

The ugliest tank is yours when you walk by and get pissed about that one small thing no one else would notice. Im constantly bouncing between being extremely excited about my tank, and hating the sight of it.

THIS. couldn't agree more, with either part.

NorthGaHillbilly

I'm on with LFS having ugly tanks. What the hell? Even the best LFS seems to always have at least one crappy pest ridden display tank.

As I got mine:

ztQ6XQE.jpg

As it is now (you can't see the link belt in the back). Note: Don't use a Nokia Icon to take pictures of things with straight lines:

PqElcpK.jpg

What fence is that? Ime rebuilding my dads old saw thats the same, so Im going to be needing a new one.

Tell me about it. Went to check out a local aquarium place on the south side of town and one of their sumped salt water tanks has a bunch of plastic (aka fake) coral and whatnot in it plus a few seahorses.... Overflow section was completely overrun with aiptasia and bubble algae. Saddest part is that the same sump is hooked up to their GORGEOUS saltwater tank that's right next to it with plenty of live rock and coral so it's only a matter of time before the pests move into the second tank...

Dr.Brain Coral

One lfs I went to people were OOing and ahhing over this massive tank filled with the "pretty corals". They were all bleached and covered in aiptasia lol.

As I got mine:

ztQ6XQE.jpg

PqElcpK.jpg

Nice restoration! I'd probably still have mine if I hadn't happened upon a Powermatic 65 (precursor to the 66) built in 1964 for a couple of hundred bucks. Mine wasn't as pretty as yours but it still passed the nickle test.

Mine ain't pretty. I left the homemade lift crank on the front. All I care about is motor/bearings/table/miter/fence. Anything else can be crap.

5wuYjyF.jpg

I couldn't pass the nickel test on mine until I replaced the V belt with a link belt. Even a new V belt caused vibration. I'm a link belt convert now. Everything gets a link belt!

Mine will start a fight I don't feel like finishing because I have a life outside of internet "genius-ism"

But it's someone that comments a lot, has a polarizing personality, and possible Napoleon complex. I haven't looked in a long time tho, might be different now but I looked repeatedly in years past only to be disappointed. Well that's the wrong word, disappointed...it actually made me smile lol.

Mine will start a fight I don't feel like finishing because I have a life outside of internet "genius-ism"

But it's someone that comments a lot, has a polarizing personality, and possible Napoleon complex. I haven't looked in a long time tho, might be different now but I looked repeatedly in years past only to be disappointed. Well that's the wrong word, disappointed...it actually made me smile lol.

Whew. I got nervous until I saw you mention multiple years lol.

Archived