Coral Vue Hydros

Ugliest Tank you have ever seen

Dr.Brain Coral

Dr.Brain Coral

What is the ugliest tqnk you have ever seen? Was it the guy on your local forum bragging about his tank with its bryopsis garden and aiptasia forest, or the tank at the tiny lfs at the corner of the street covered in pests.

It was mine when I first set up my 75, not enough flow, not enough filtration, too heavy of a bioload for all of the above. I had bad GHA, cyano etc. Even the rock-scape was ugly. The whole thing was nas-tay. Needless to say it was broken down, moved, scape, flow, filtration and bio-load was improved. It doesn't look great now as its "new" and going through it's own uglies, but it's still 100x better than the last time.

Invariably, on the boards, it seems to be the people who brag about how much money they spent on everything and then have a pile of rocks with 6 SPS sticks that look exactly the same 6 months later.

It's the same in woodworking - you have people talking about their newest Sawstop cabinet saw/Euro combo machine, the fact that the shop has state-of-the-art infloor heating, Lie Nielsen planes, a suite of Festools and 15 different Japanese chisels. Then they post a picture of the birdhouse they made and the hole is off center, the roof doesn't line up and there are gaps everywhere. Meanwhile, some guy is making a 18th century mahogany highboy in his shed with an old Craftsman contractors saw and a broken bottle as a scraper.

But that's how it is with both hobbies - some people are in it for the toys and some are in it for the end product - to each his own.

Any one of my tanks :lol:

Seriously, I'll agree about the local tanks here on the local forum. Frankly, thier TOM looks like most people's tanks on here a few months in. They all pretend to be the best, most knowledgeable reefers to ever walk the earth, and reject anything you say if you aren't part of thier,"In Club." Frankly, I could list off abotu 10 people on Nano-reef that have forgotten more about reefing then half the people on the local forum ever knew, lol. :rolleyes:

Any one of my tanks :lol:

Seriously, I'll agree about the local tanks here on the local forum. Frankly, thier TOM looks like most people's tanks on here a few months in. They all pretend to be the best, most knowledgeable reefers to ever walk the earth, and reject anything you say if you aren't part of thier,"In Club." Frankly, I could list off abotu 10 people on Nano-reef that have forgotten more about reefing then half the people on the local forum ever knew, lol. :rolleyes:

Exactly the same here lol.

scottsdale454ss

I was just thinking i need to see some examples of tanks that are worse than mine so i feel better. :happydance: There have to be some somewhere!!

It isn't saltwater, but my betta's tank sure doesn't look that great right now. Silly crowntail, killing off his cleanup crew (how does a betta kill a turtle snail?!?!?!?), and an outbreak of brown algae after I finally cleared up cyano in his tank, although I think that came with a piece of driftwood I put in from another tank after rescaping it.... :rant:

HAhaha I think it's hilarious some of the first few responses claim that their own tanks were the ugliest... Unfortunately I probably fall into this category as well... No joke some of the nuisance algae pictures on reefcleaners.org are mine.

I pieced together a scape from like 5 different kinds of rock and none of them really fit together so my scape ended up looking like a pile of potatoes - green hairy potatoes with some brown sticks that sort of resemble corals sticking out of them but they were so hard to see because the glass was covered in algae too.

I'm not going to make fun of someones tank though just because it's ugly - I'm pretty sure we've all had a tank or at least a scape we thought looked like crap... I mean look at Amphipods tanks... IMO they're super ugly, and I suppose I do poke fun at them sometimes but he seems to be thrilled with his aptaisia and random algae tanks... So regardless of how the tank looks to others it's most important that it looks good to the owner.

righttirefire

I'll sack up. I believe my tank is currently the ugliest one I've seen on nano reef. Beings it's not a true reef doesn't help my case. I'm extremely new 5th week ever saltwatering. The diatoms and corallite algea bloom in the sand along with cycling my tank with the lights on to get used to the light cycle. Have produced the magnificent hair algea and wavy green grasses. A minimal cuc is working their hearts out. But I vote ugliest!

post-87219-0-16766200-1424738092_thumb.png

mine aint good right now

about 50% old growth loss due to red mushroom invasion, currently ridding them w majano wand. after done itll be barren and attacked, them dang reef cycles

It isn't saltwater, but my betta's tank sure doesn't look that great right now. Silly crowntail, killing off his cleanup crew (how does a betta kill a turtle snail?!?!?!?), and an outbreak of brown algae after I finally cleared up cyano in his tank, although I think that came with a piece of driftwood I put in from another tank after rescaping it.... :rant:

I got ya there, my poor Betta's tank looks horrible. Massive green algae outbreak but he's doing well, so are the 4 cardinal tetras he's with. (Surprisingly).

Dumb FW algae is so much more of a pain than SW.

I got ya there, my poor Betta's tank looks horrible. Massive green algae outbreak but he's doing well, so are the 4 cardinal tetras he's with. (Surprisingly).

I'd totally post a picture to prove otherwise, but my phone's battery is pretty low. Definitely agree about freshwater algae being such a pain, but then again I'm apparently a masochist and currently have just a sponge filter in his tank... Although it has been rather tempting to add in an AquaClear 20 or such, despite the acquisition of new desks soon making it difficult to find him a place to go, but his tank might very well fit where one of our old desks currently resides. ^_^ ....And I could very well be starting up a nano reef soon too, since my current 10 gallon shrimp tank is going to be combined with my 20H guppy tank that's soon to be without guppies.

HAhaha I think it's hilarious some of the first few responses claim that their own tanks were the ugliest... Unfortunately I probably fall into this category as well... No joke some of the nuisance algae pictures on reefcleaners.org are mine.

I pieced together a scape from like 5 different kinds of rock and none of them really fit together so my scape ended up looking like a pile of potatoes - green hairy potatoes with some brown sticks that sort of resemble corals sticking out of them but they were so hard to see because the glass was covered in algae too.

I'm not going to make fun of someones tank though just because it's ugly - I'm pretty sure we've all had a tank or at least a scape we thought looked like crap... I mean look at Amphipods tanks... IMO they're super ugly, and I suppose I do poke fun at them sometimes but he seems to be thrilled with his aptaisia and random algae tanks... So regardless of how the tank looks to others it's most important that it looks good to the owner.

best post lol, good thing you are honest :) I have my blackworms tank which is the most disgusting looking and smelling tank I have, it looks like sewage, and smells like it too, I'll try to get a pic soon, I rotted some paperboard from cricket egg crate and they apparently like it, I have to have a lid on it to hold in the aroma from my dad lol

I defeated freshwater hair algae by overgrowing the tank with duck weed, elodea and hornwort, actually I just never trimmed the plants back and they have invaded the whole tank to the point where the algae doesn't get its sunlight and now can only grow on one wall of the tank and the tank sand to an extent. I never really minded the algae though, as long as the fish are alive and happy I don't really give a crap what the tank looks like lol

I should have taken a pic of my 10 before I cleaned it up. It had 2 years of neglect, after it crashed summer of 2012. I kept the water topped up so the live rock would remain live - for when I had time to return to the hobby (I went to school september of 2012. I did not see the point in starting it up if I could not dedicate time to maintain it. I recently cleaned it and boy was it "muddy"

Dr.Brain Coral

I'll sack up. I believe my tank is currently the ugliest one I've seen on nano reef. Beings it's not a true reef doesn't help my case. I'm extremely new 5th week ever saltwatering. The diatoms and corallite algea bloom in the sand along with cycling my tank with the lights on to get used to the light cycle. Have produced the magnificent hair algea and wavy green grasses. A minimal cuc is working their hearts out. But I vote ugliest!

I have to be honest, I think it looks fine. I love to find the little things people usually over look like tiny anemones or algaes. Before I got interested in a reef tank I was at the beach and found a rock that had hair algae on it and other algaes. I literally sat for hours watching this rock with the tiny critters and snails on it. Granted reef tanks are beautiful but I thought that rock was one of the most interesting things I had seen

I have to be honest, I think it looks fine. I love to find the little things people usually over look like tiny anemones or algaes. Before I got interested in a reef tank I was at the beach and found a rock that had hair algae on it and other algaes. I literally sat for hours watching this rock with the tiny critters and snails on it. Granted reef tanks are beautiful but I thought that rock was one of the most interesting things I had seen

what all was crawling on the rock, I have seen so many awesome things under rocks, all you got to do is flip it.
Dr.Brain Coral

Well there was a few mini hermits, a couple nassarius snails and a crown conch. There where the usual amphipods also. I am here this year also and the other day I lifted up a rock and I found a brittle star. It was the single coolest thing I have ever found lol

Well there was a few mini hermits, a couple nassarius snails and a crown conch. There where the usual amphipods also. I am here this year also and the other day I lifted up a rock and I found a brittle star. It was the single coolest thing I have ever found lol

I've seen pretty much the same organisms under several rocks in Florida, not the brittle star though, I seen one in a sand sample, little guy only one centimeter wide. Where were you at?

I was at the space coast area, I went to several spots there.

I also had some good "hunting" in Finland on vacation, lots of insect larvae and ascellus, also some freshwater limpets and weird algal balls in the water column, I don't for sure know what they were

Thinking cyanobacteria, but that is my assumption

Archived