Cultivated Reef

Floating White Worms - Zoa irritator?

edd29

I have been noticing that some zoas have been closed more often than I have seen. Especially at the bottom of the tank. Then tonight I saw floating worms that I have never seen before. They retract as soon as I tried pulling them out. I looked around and have yet found anything similar to this. Maybe I am just searching using the wrong key words. Any help is appreciated!

Polarcollision

digitate hydroids. They do sting zoas and can keep them from growing. They'll eventually go away on their own (months), but you can hurry it up a little by limiting micro-type broadcast foods for SPS, sponges, baby brine shrimp, etc.

Thank you for your quick response! Just when I thought I had this tank down right... I get something that people haven't figured out how to get rid of. Lol hopefully they do disappear soon!

Polarcollision

Not to worry too much--this type is the easiest to deal with. You do have quite a few so I'm guessing the tank is well fed? Try cutting back a little to see if it stops them from multipkying. Superglue never worked for me for an offensive treatment, but boiling water via syringe can sometimes work. They don't reproduce well with skimmer/filter floss and good turnover so they'll go away eventually.

• 2 months later...

Archived