Coral Vue Hydros

Glassbox Garden {2.5 gallon cube}

~LadyBug~

Hey guys. I got out of the hobby last summer, but I miss it terribly, so I'm working on plans for a little pico. I don't have all the kinks worked out yet, but that's half the fun of a build thread! I'll update this post with hardware as I buy it and livestock(plans) as I figure that out. I'll be posing some questions below, so if you'd like to help me make some hardware choices or make livestock plans, read on! :D

Hardware:

• Tank: DeepBlue 8 inch glass cube (2.5 gallons)

Livestock(planned)

• Dragons Breath Macro Algae
  • either a Rock Flower Anemone or a Maxi Mini Anemone

Okay, so the first order of business I need to tackle is lighting. I want to leave myself in a position to keep macro algae, RFA/maxi mini nems(I know both won't work :P ), softies and LPS(I clearly haven't made up my mind on stocking yet). I'm looking at the Coral Compulsion PAR30. I've got several things I'm wondering about with it though and am trying to research before I buy:

• if I were to upgrade to a larger tank in the future(~7.5 gallons) would the PAR30 still be enough? Would I be better off getting a dim-able PAR38 as far as upgrade potential goes?
  • what fixture should I put it in? I get light-triggered migraines, and this tank is going on my desk, so I want to make sure that my lighting doesn't spill a lot of extra, bright light outside the tank. I'm considering the goose-neck on the CC website and am also wondering about a some kind of fixture from Target.
  • should I get 18K? 22K? I like a pretty blue temp...I need to get my hands(er, eyeballs) on what both temps look like over tanks.

So that's my biggest thing tonight. And I'm also trying to figure out if I need a heater, and if so, where I might find one small enough for this teeny, tiny tank(the one I have from my last build is definitely too big, lol). Living in central Florida, a lot of the time I can get away without a heater...but I don't want to freeze anybody.

Sounds like a cool plan :) what kind of filtration are you thinking about?

Any par bulb (30 or 38) should be more than enough for that tank (I'm no light expert but I do speak from experience) and a cheap lamp stand will do a fine job. Just make sure it can support the weight of the bulb since they're actually a little heavy.

Looking forward to progress! I'm a fan of Adam too btw ;)

A couple rock flowers of course! They're prettier. They also don't need to be fed but once a week to thrive.

I'm leaning that way. I love RFAs. I had a bunch in my 7.5, I was trying to breed them, although I never saw any babies :closedeyes:

For this size tank and for future upgrade, dimmable par38 sounds perfect.

I'm thinking so too :happy: Any thoughts on color temp?

Sounds like a cool plan :) what kind of filtration are you thinking about?

Any par bulb (30 or 38) should be more than enough for that tank (I'm no light expert but I do speak from experience) and a cheap lamp stand will do a fine job. Just make sure it can support the weight of the bulb since they're actually a little heavy.

Looking forward to progress! I'm a fan of Adam too btw ;)

Thanks! I have a little HOB Palm filter laying around I thought I'd start out with. I hadn't thought about the weight, thanks for the heads up; I've been more concerned with finding something that the bulb would fit into, the radius on the on the 'face' of the bulb looks rather large!

ETA: who is Adam? :unsure:

Thanks! I have a little HOB Palm filter laying around I thought I'd start out with. I hadn't thought about the weight, thanks for the heads up; I've been more concerned with finding something that the bulb would fit into, the radius on the on the 'face' of the bulb looks rather large!

ETA: who is Adam? :unsure:

Ah, I'm not sure how big it is, but I ask because I keep the heater for my pico inside a HOB ac70. As for the stand, most have removable hoods so if you make sure the hood can be removed, it shouldn't be a problem :)

And Adam Young, the author of the quote in your sig :P

Ah, I'm not sure how big it is, but I ask because I keep the heater for my pico inside a HOB ac70. As for the stand, most have removable hoods so if you make sure the hood can be removed, it shouldn't be a problem :)

And Adam Young, the author of the quote in your sig :P

That's a good idea!

And whoops! I forgot I put that down there *facepalm*. And I'm not used to anyone knowing who he is; you know he's coming out with a new album sometime this year? I'm so excited!

That's a good idea!

And whoops! I forgot I put that down there *facepalm*. And I'm not used to anyone knowing who he is; you know he's coming out with a new album sometime this year? I'm so excited!

Haha hiding the heater was probably the main reason why I chose to do that!

And yeah, not many people make it past fireflies :P I actually had just heard about it elsewhere. He had a letter sent out or something like that, I'm really excited to hear it too hahah

Haha hiding the heater was probably the main reason why I chose to do that!

And yeah, not many people make it past fireflies :P I actually had just heard about it elsewhere. He had a letter sent out or something like that, I'm really excited to hear it too hahah

What heater do you have? I'm having trouble finding something small enough for this little tank :mellow: . It really is a brilliant idea; I hate looking at equipment in the tank. Now that the idea is planted, if it won't fit into the Palm, I may just have to pick up an AC.

No, not very many people made it past Fireflies. I think I have just about everything he's ever put out, including side-projects :wub:

Yay...you're setting up again :happydance:.

Either par bulb will work for your tank. If you will be upgrading I'd go with the 38.

Oh....and rock flower anemones are way more interesting than maxis...in my opinion :).

What heater do you have? I'm having trouble finding something small enough for this little tank :mellow: . It really is a brilliant idea; I hate looking at equipment in the tank. Now that the idea is planted, if it won't fit into the Palm, I may just have to pick up an AC.

No, not very many people made it past Fireflies. I think I have just about everything he's ever put out, including side-projects :wub:

I use a hydor theo 25w. It does well enough but temp still fluctuates more than I'd like with it. If youre willing to pay extra, the cobalt heaters are really awesome, don't take up much space and can suction to the back of your tank or fit inside an ac filter.

I love em all but of course, especially enjoy port blue :) I actually went to one of his concerts a few years ago and he played a few tracks from that project; it was gorgeous haha, you're maybe one of 2 or 3 people I've met who even knows about the its existence :P

Yay...you're setting up again :happydance:.

Either par bulb will work for your tank. If you will be upgrading I'd go with the 38.

Oh....and rock flower anemones are way more interesting than maxis...in my opinion :).

Hi Gena! How are you? I've missed you :D

It's not a matter of 'planning' to upgrade(the 7.5 gallon being referenced is currently setup as a FW planted and has a betta and a bunch of gold white cloud minnows in it :P ); it's more a matter of knowing myself, and having the hunch that at some point down the road, I'll probably want a bigger tank. And so it might be smart to just plan for that for once :mellow:

Yeah, I love maxi minis, but RFAs are kind of my fave. Plus I sorta want a little goby buddy :wub: Which is definitely more practical/doable with a RFA...

I use a hydor theo 25w. It does well enough but temp still fluctuates more than I'd like with it. If youre willing to pay extra, the cobalt heaters are really awesome, don't take up much space and can suction to the back of your tank or fit inside an ac filter.

I love em all but of course, especially enjoy port blue :) I actually went to one of his concerts a few years ago and he played a few tracks from that project; it was gorgeous haha, you're maybe one of 2 or 3 people I've met who even knows about the its existence :P

I'm guessing the Cobalt you're talking about is the Neo-Therm and not the Mini-Therm, based on the comment about price? ($56 vs. $13) Thanks for the suggestions!

I really liked Sky Sailing; I was obsessed with Tennis Elbow one summer. Swimming with Dolphins was also good. You are so lucky, I would love to go to one of his shows!

So I sent an email to Coral Compulsion asking about the dimensions of the bulbs so I could look for a fixture, and they replied very promptly with this, if anyone else is wondering: 24w par38s are 4.5" x 4.5". 14w par30s are 3.75" on the face and 4" deep.

It's definitely safer for fish to be in a tank with RFAs :).

I hear you on knowing yourself, and knowing you'll want an upgrade. Eventually, with such a small tank, things outgrow the tank and you are kinda forced to do the upgrade. It's easier too when you start out with a small tank. I went from the 3g pico to the current custom 8g. So far I've haven't outgrown the 8. RFAs kinda forced the upgrade on me too. I bought too many :blush: and they couldn't spread out in just a 3g tank LOL.

Gobies are the best :wub:.

It's definitely safer for fish to be in a tank with RFAs :).I hear you on knowing yourself, and knowing you'll want an upgrade. Eventually, with such a small tank, things outgrow the tank and you are kinda forced to do the upgrade. It's easier too when you start out with a small tank. I went from the 3g pico to the current custom 8g. So far I've haven't outgrown the 8. RFAs kinda forced the upgrade on me too. I bought too many :blush: and they couldn't spread out in just a 3g tank LOL.Gobies are the best :wub:.

Much safer; maxi minis are too sticky.

I've bounced through so many tank sizes-my first was 2.5, then I had a 10, a 6, a 12, and then the two incarnations of the 7.5; I always get the itch for either a) more room or B) something different :P .

I'm only *planning* one nem, so that shouldn't get me into too much trouble, but the other corals.... o.O I'm like a kid in a candy store.

I'm thinking either a green banded goby or a neon goby :wub:

I'm guessing the Cobalt you're talking about is the Neo-Therm and not the Mini-Therm, based on the comment about price? ($56 vs. $13) Thanks for the suggestions!

I really liked Sky Sailing; I was obsessed with Tennis Elbow one summer. Swimming with Dolphins was also good. You are so lucky, I would love to go to one of his shows!

So I sent an email to Coral Compulsion asking about the dimensions of the bulbs so I could look for a fixture, and they replied very promptly with this, if anyone else is wondering: 24w par38s are 4.5" x 4.5". 14w par30s are 3.75" on the face and 4" deep.

Yeah, Neo-Therm 50W is the one I've used. Didn't know there was a mini :lol:

Lord, I remembered when Sky Sailing dropped. I had a great summer hahaha, I liked Brielle and a Little Opera off that album. Album cover was beautiful too of course. And it looks like he'll be touring soon once that new album gets released so.... ;) Corals vs concerts lol.

Thanks for the info on the bulbs btw, it'll be helpful when planning the light for my (hopefully) new tank. Also, all the little gobies are awesome (GBG) and honestly just pick (GBG) whichever one (GBG) you want ... (GBG) :)

Much safer; maxi minis are too sticky.

I've bounced through so many tank sizes-my first was 2.5, then I had a 10, a 6, a 12, and then the two incarnations of the 7.5; I always get the itch for either a) more room or B) something different :P .

I'm only *planning* one nem, so that shouldn't get me into too much trouble, but the other corals.... o.O I'm like a kid in a candy store.

I'm thinking either a green banded goby or a neon goby :wub:

I've had little and big tanks and I think I really do prefer the smaller size. In the future I think I wouldn't go bigger

then a 20g. And a custom size at that, nothing standard.

Either or...neon or green banded....win-win :D. Although I'm more partial to the green banded goby.

They remind me of little pixies :happy:.

Yeah, Neo-Therm 50W is the one I've used. Didn't know there was a mini :lol:

Lord, I remembered when Sky Sailing dropped. I had a great summer hahaha, I liked Brielle and a Little Opera off that album. Album cover was beautiful too of course. And it looks like he'll be touring soon once that new album gets released so.... ;) Corals vs concerts lol.

Thanks for the info on the bulbs btw, it'll be helpful when planning the light for my (hopefully) new tank. Also, all the little gobies are awesome (GBG) and honestly just pick (GBG) whichever one (GBG) you want ... (GBG) :)

I had a great summer that year too; one of the best :happy: . His album art is always awesome!

Glad to know you're impartial on the gobies :lol:

I picked up rock, sand, water and a desk lamp fixture Friday night. The rock is in the tank, but I haven't had time yet to rinse the sand and get it in. I'll post a picture soon, although I haven't settled on a scape yet(while we're on the subject, I've been having trouble with Photobucket, my usual hosting site, giving me nasty pop-ups; anybody have another site they use and love?)

I'm fleshing out my stocking wish-list: RFAs, GSP, shrooms(I'm thinking rics), dragons breath macroalgae, a goby and some fun inverts :D

I've had little and big tanks and I think I really do prefer the smaller size. In the future I think I wouldn't go bigger

then a 20g. And a custom size at that, nothing standard.

Either or...neon or green banded....win-win :D. Although I'm more partial to the green banded goby.

They remind me of little pixies :happy:.

You posted while I was posting :P

Although I haven't had big tanks, I don't think I'd like them. I really enjoy the way you can focus on specific species, or small inverts that would otherwise get lost in a larger tank.

I know you've had both, why do you like the GBG better?

You posted while I was posting :P

Although I haven't had big tanks, I don't think I'd like them. I really enjoy the way you can focus on specific species, or small inverts that would otherwise get lost in a larger tank.

I know you've had both, why do you like the GBG better?

I just had a neon goby that picked on a clam so I'm basing my rating on that experience :lol:.

They aren't all bad though. I had two neons. One was a picker (and transferred) and the other isn't...not yet anyways.

Green banded gobies are really playful too. I have 5 of them and they are fun to watch :).

• 2 weeks later...

GBG it is!

I've been MIA with a cold the last week, and I'm still not feeling 100%, but I'd like to get this build moving. I NEED to get the light ordered, like, yesterday. I decided on a CC PAR30, and now I'm just debating color temp. Gena, did you have a 18K or 22K on the 3G RFA tank? I've been talking to the guy at CC and he was a little hesitant about the 22K for macro algae growth; I figured if anyone would have first-hand experience, it would be you. I'd really like the 22K, but I want to make sure it will give everything enough to grow.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I ordered the bulb and have had it over the tank for about a week. Took a little finessing with placement, I almost thought I was going to need 90 degree optics, but I think we're good now. I settled on the PAR 30 22K.

I've got a full clean up crew in there now, four blue leg hermits, three Nass. Snails and I believe it was a Mexican turbo we settled on for the algae.

I picked up a GSP frag Friday night, and it was open right after I put it in, and Saturday morning, but after I scraped the glass it closed up and hasn't opened again >.<

I'm looking at picking up some macro algae, does anyone know anything about L. A. Reefs? They have something called 'red dragons' macro, and the form is right for dragons breath, but it doesn't have the orange edges like the kind I had before did.

• 3 months later...

Hi Anna,

If you want dragons breathe. I gave Top Shelf Aquatics a few clippings of dragons breathe and it has grown out. The exact one I bought from you. :)

Archived