Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tank cycled in two weeks?!

ProtectDa2nd

So I set up my first reef tank. I test my water parameters everyday. Initially i had an above 1.0 ppm ammonia reading for the first three days. Then out of no where bam no trace of ammonia and the typical nitrite spike. It has been a little under 2 weeks and now there is almost no trace of nitrite with my nitrates rising. I have a 10g tank an used 11.5 lbs of live rock with a live sand bed. Is it possible that my tank is finishing its cycle or will there be another ammonia spike? The way its going i'll probably have no trace of nitrites within two days, I'm still going to play it safe and wait at least another two weeks before doing a water change and introducing my clean up crew. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

My set up only took a little over a week, not that unusual if you start with cured live rock that you're able to quickly transport into a new set up with matching water paras. Hardly any die off that way, thus avoiding a heavy cycle.

Did the live rock already come from an established tank or did you start with dry base rock? If it was already cured, had living organisms and was from an established system and you aren't getting any out of the ordinary readings.. Add that CUC!

Got any pictures of the set up!? Everyone here likes new things :D

Mine cycled fast as well (around 2 weeks) as I started with cured live rock along with dry and some live sand. I didn't trust it and kept reading up on everything I could because I was expecting 4-6 weeks. I still obsessively test my water though as I have this fear that I had a mini-cycle or something even though no trace of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates have been hovering between 5 and 10 ppm.

It's possible that your tank is cycled. :) Mine cycled in 10 days. So really not surprised.

Rather than playing a guessing game, just test your filtrative capacity. That way you'd know for sure if you can add live stock or otherwise.

Great post on this. I actually did this when I didn't trust that my tank actually had cycled. I fed it for about 3 days, checked the parameters and they stayed steady.

Mine cycled fast as well (around 2 weeks) as I started with cured live rock along with dry and some live sand. I didn't trust it and kept reading up on everything I could because I was expecting 4-6 weeks. I still obsessively test my water though as I have this fear that I had a mini-cycle or something even though no trace of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates have been hovering between 5 and 10 ppm.

Great post on this. I actually did this when I didn't trust that my tank actually had cycled. I fed it for about 3 days, checked the parameters and they stayed steady.

Haha yeah, it is just logical. :) Unfortunately it is not quite so obvious, especially for newbies, so I made that post in the blog to make it as clear as possible.

Nice setup by the way! And I love those Clowns. :) Gosh they look so beautiful.

I have a pair of Clowns as well, though the female is very aggressive towards the male. ><

Hopefully they'll settle down, instead of killing each other.

I got my Fiji rock from the LFS. I'm not sure wether it was cured or not (most likely was). It was only out of water maybe 25 minutes. I set my tank up got my salinety right and let the water clear before I added any rock. I just wanted to ask because I was expecting the cycle to atleast take a month and as a beginner to all of this if my tank does cycle I'm going to try not to let this spoil me . I was really trying to practice patients, ether way I'm still going to take it slow and beat the info and schedule into my head.

And i like that alot stella!

Great idea on testing filtration capacity I will deffintly do this.

post-87282-0-30132300-1424666856_thumb.jpg

post-87282-0-83836800-1424667069_thumb.jpg

post-87282-0-75971800-1424667093_thumb.jpg

And my sea clone 100 protein skimmer regardless of all the horrible reviews this thing broke in under 48 hours and has been hammering down! It will fill within 2 days easy. Pulling some really nasty looking stuff out. I guess I got lucky adjusting it. Played with it for almost a hour and a half before I felt it was right.

post-87282-0-08385100-1424668448_thumb.jpg

Haha yeah, it is just logical. :) Unfortunately it is not quite so obvious, especially for newbies, so I made that post in the blog to make it as clear as possible.

Nice setup by the way! And I love those Clowns. :) Gosh they look so beautiful.

I have a pair of Clowns as well, though the female is very aggressive towards the male. ><

Hopefully they'll settle down, instead of killing each other.

Thanks! They seem to be doing well! I am really enjoying this hobby so far. And great blog! I will be following along for sure.

I got my Fiji rock from the LFS. I'm not sure wether it was cured or not (most likely was). It was only out of water maybe 25 minutes. I set my tank up got my salinety right and let the water clear before I added any rock. I just wanted to ask because I was expecting the cycle to atleast take a month and as a beginner to all of this if my tank does cycle I'm going to try not to let this spoil me . I was really trying to practice patients, ether way I'm still going to take it slow and beat the info and schedule into my head.

And i like that alot stella!

Great idea on testing filtration capacity I will deffintly do this.

I really like the look of your rock! I can't wait to see how this all looks with coral etc. Nice rock scape!

I used all live rock and threw some smart start cycle product. (A friend was tearing down his tank so I had to start mine faster than planned to take his livestock). I threw the smart start in and watched. Tank didn't cycle at all.

i upgraded from a 3g to an 8g.

used live rock from old tank + new live rock.

used new live sand + seeded with a cup of

old live sand.

basically moved shrooms in tank and sexy shrimps

within the week.

good luck and have fun!

Yeah got home from work and what I thought would happen happened no trace of nitrites! Gonna test my filtration capacity for the next 3 days, if all goes well CUC friday :D

Archived