Pod Your Reef

Current USA Orbit Marine Pro

jolee0722

Anyone at Reefstock see these lights? They sound interesting, though their price point is almost double the normal Orbit Marine. Found them for pre-order on this site:

http://www.saltwateraquarium.com/orbit-marine-pro-led-aquarium-fixture-current-usa.html

Can read about them more here:

http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine-fixtures/orbit-marine-pro/

What's the point of the magenta LEDs? And is it just a coincidence that these are coming out around the same time the Mr. Aqua 22 Gallon Long is set to come out?

Magenta is either a dual core LED with a Discrete Red and Blue emitter or a Blue Chip with a Red Phosphor coating.

It's advantage is adding red without creating as much disco. They're not a common color and tend to always be sub 1W emitters. I'm not sure why they call it Magenta Indigo. Technically the 445nm Royal Blue is Indigo.

And the 415nm Ultraviolet is really True Violet.

The 6500K is actually Cool White just like the 8000K just a Warmer color temp not that most people will be sensitive to that difference.

It moved from .25W to .5W emmiters though and the color rendering should be a little better than the regular Orbit Marine.

Interesting... of course, this comes out < 2 months after I buy the old Marine Orbit. Hehe.

That being said, doesn't look like a big difference. The 18-24" goes from 18W to 21W. That's not a huge jump. Despite tweaking their spectrums a bit, I think this light is going to be hampered by its predecessor's weak points in not being that powerful.

Full disclosure, mine is doing fine on my Biocube 29 and I am very happy with it. But at that price point, I don't see a big reason to spend twice as much $$ for the light.

Granted... maybe the PAR data will make me eat my words. Will be waiting with bated breathe...

After reading more closely, as Horecrzy stated, the LED emitters are increasing in wattage from 0.25 watts to 0.50 watts, but they are also decreasing in number.

I had high hopes for this.. Not impressed at all right now. I was hoping for at least 1w emitters over the original .25w emitters. Colors look great but not worth the price hike I don't think.

I doubt the lower overall wattage will be a problem.

The par numbers should be slightly higher than the other orbit marine fixture if there's any difference at all.

I would think there would be a large difference, considering that all the LEDs now have a secondary optic. Sure, it will reduce the overall coverage, but output should be substantially higher than the non-Pro version.

I would think there would be a large difference, considering that all the LEDs now have a secondary optic. Sure, it will reduce the overall coverage, but output should be substantially higher than the non-Pro version.

It sounds like they will cover a smaller area due to the optics,so intensity will be higher, but output will be the same.

Archived