Top Shelf Aquatics

I hate myself for being here.

ReversedlogiC

Yes, really. Moved here July 2014 from Sarasota, Florida. I used to snorkel on a reef ten minutes from my house. Now I look in the Ohio River and wonder if even the ghosts of prohibition could live in the murky waters.

I hope you have a damn good reason for moving up here. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep unlike my freshwater tanks this is very stressful. I keep thinking I should shut it down but then I see a great looking tank and think about the money I already in this tank and keep on going.

Sometimes I hate this hobby, but when I look on this forum and see the amazing slices of ocean I realise that I can't quit. Whenever I find random pieces of coral growing from my rock work in my Ich infested tank, I get surprised and become more excited about the hobby. Although I'm having to downgrade from a 63g to a 14 gallon, I find the positive side of doing what I'm doing. I don't think I could live my life without a reef tank... It's become a part of my personality.

No matter how bad my day is the one thing I know is that when I get home my macaws say " hello I love you" and I can sit down stare at my little glass box and regain my sanity.

No matter how bad my day is the one thing I know is that when I get home my macaws say " hello I love you" and I can sit down stare at my little glass box and regain my sanity.

That's me w/ my cocker spaniel and tanks too. Makes me feel needed to keep these little worlds going.

HecticDialectics

don't listen to him, they verbally abuse people in the lounge. Edit: also hectic show us your tank and how marvelous it is.

Only babies get offended at friendly prodding. I've played the tank game like 4 times. I might start up another tank sometime after we finish moving. Maybe freshwater tho. More relaxing looking

ReversedlogiC

ha! i just finished my fifth novel.

yes, you should be impressed. writing novels

is HARD, and getting them published even harder! :)

Reading over what I wrote, it sounded way more obnoxious than I intended. I am actually impressed, and am all too aware of how hard publishers are to find.

don't listen to him, they verbally abuse people in the lounge. Edit: also hectic show us your tank and how marvelous it is.

Whoa, don't you know the rules? Never feed the trolls!

I hope you have a damn good reason for moving up here. :)

I did. The best of reasons. I quite like it so far. I'm in Boone county. Hebron area. You?

I am definitely open to some LFS suggestions. Seems to be nothing of note in Kentucky. I was soooo spoiled before.

Welcome back :D. I'm just coming back too! I sold everything late 2013, I think because I rushed into it and it did not work out the way I wanted it to. Now I'm back with a plan and a tank I really think I'm going to like! Definitely going to take it slow and keep it simple (reason for my name on this forum).

Welcome back. At least it's just slightly less self-destructive than other addictions :)

And the AIO trap is great. You've already noticed that you're talking about modifications before you've even got the tank :lol:

Reading over what I wrote, it sounded way more obnoxious than I intended. I am actually impressed, and am all too aware of how hard publishers are to find.

Whoa, don't you know the rules? Never feed the trolls!

I did. The best of reasons. I quite like it so far. I'm in Boone county. Hebron area. You?

I am definitely open to some LFS suggestions. Seems to be nothing of note in Kentucky. I was soooo spoiled before.

why not feed trolls till they get troll obesity and die from troll heart attacks from all the troll fat?

Only babies get offended at friendly prodding. I've played the tank game like 4 times. I might start up another tank sometime after we finish moving. Maybe freshwater tho. More relaxing looking

moving can be stressful, what species are you planning in the new tank?

In this area the stores are limited and everyone knows each other and usually there's drama. It's sad and unfortunate.

World of Pets on Turfway is the only saltwater vendor on this side of the river worth anything. Decent people, the occasional gem, but usually browned out corals that will take a lot of TLC to revive. A guy from north of Lexington brings his green slimer frags in once a year, that's where I got mine. Larry is the coral guy, reddish hair with a beard.

On the CIncinnati side there are 3 locations worth visiting. Aquarium Artisians now owns the store on Plainfield road near Deer Park. This is close to where I work and they have some of the best corals in town so I will sometimes pick up corals on the way home. This store used to be Ideal Aquatics but they were sold, suddenly, to AA.

Queen City Aquatics is run by one of the former owners of Ideal. Seems like a nice guy, but I have yet to get to his store and it was recently attacked and closed (owners words) and he lost all his livestock. He plans to re-open later this month. I have no further info but read again what I just wrote. It's an odd situation, supposedly the police are involved. I have yet to visit his store. :)

Last store is way over in Milford underneath a vacuum cleaner shop. Called Coral pets, the hours are weekends and by appointment. Always best to check with the owner. http://coralpets.com/us I'm not sure this is up to date. He sold me my very first SPS coral, a purple stylo. Said I couldn't kill it and he was right. It's survived every tank crash (stupid mistake) I've had and is a huge beast that I am constantly hacking up. You want a piece for free let me know as soon as your tank is stable and ready.

Local clubs:

http://forums.care4reefs.com

This is more an education club now, but the forums are still a source of information. This was a split from CincyReef after some sort of dispute over tax status and club operations. Drama.

http://www.cincyreef.com/forum.php

This is the original and oldest reef club, as far as I can tell. I'm a member and I've used the for sale forums to find some good deals on local corals.

So you probably know this, but DIP EVERYTHING! Pests are a normal part of the hobby and I know some of these vendors have certain pests that can be avoided with dipping and scraping, plug removal, etc. Not sure what kind of reef you are going for but if Acropora is a goal then get some Bayer now and learn how to use it. I won't name names, no one does this on purpose and I think it's unfair to call a vendor out if they happen to have a pest. Vendors live on the edge of financial failure around here unless they have an alternate business to support the coral sales. World of Pets (all kinds of pets) and Aquarium Artisians (tank installation and maintenance) seem to be the most stable at the moment.

I'm going to give Larry at WoP some of my old ATI 36" T5 bulbs for their frag tank, so the corals look better and maybe hold color better. I see it as an investment. :D In the short 3 years I've been in the hobby I've seen Jacks stop selling saltwater, A new store open and then fail in spectacular fashion, and 2 stores now have tank wipeouts for various reasons. It's a tough business to be in, and there just aren't that many reefers around these parts.

I should mention two other stores that may or may not have saltwater in KY. Pets+ in Taylor Mill, right off the 275 exit, has fish and used to sell some corals, but the tanks are a mess and selection is really not worth it. There was another shop off of 471 near the new Kroger and Target complex. I'm really not sure if they are still there or if it's worth going too. I imagine the only store that will come remotely close to what you might be used to is Aquarium Artisans.

Good luck!

Welcome back :D. I'm just coming back too! I sold everything late 2013, I think because I rushed into it and it did not work out the way I wanted it to. Now I'm back with a plan and a tank I really think I'm going to like! Definitely going to take it slow and keep it simple (reason for my name on this forum).

I did the same thing as you, rushed into my nano tank without considering about what equipment I'll need and I didn't have a full understanding of how to keep a reef tank. Went back to freshwater for 3 months in a 63g tank, missed reefing too much and decided to setup my big tank as a reef (big mistake since I didn't realise how much money I'd have to put into it) now I'm carefully designing my old nano tank to keep it simple, easy to maintain and make it as natural as possible.

Welcome back! :welcome: to Nano-Reef. We're all a bunch of addicts here. lol

I'm an addict, here, and don't have an aquarium or desire to start one. Weird.

Welcome back. I lasted 6 months and that was because I was recovering from giving birth and adjusting to motherhood. Lol. Now i could write a book of "how to entertain your child while dealing with your tank: lessons in futility and madness"

ReversedlogiC

Welcome back. At least it's just slightly less self-destructive than other addictions :)

And the AIO trap is great. You've already noticed that you're talking about modifications before you've even got the tank :lol:

A trap for sure, but I feel like knowing it's a trap helps me deal with it? Admiral Ackbar has been warning me about this for decades. But, if I'm honest, since I gave away EVERYTHING I once owned, I seriously have no patience to piece it all back together just to get a tank running. Man that sounds lazy. I'm also moving in six months, soooo, man I'm sounding dumber and dumberer.

In this area the stores are limited and everyone knows each other and usually there's drama. It's sad and unfortunate.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the info.

Ahhh, silly humans. So much drama! I had previously found all the stores you mentioned online, and those were the stores I had intended to visit before this weekend's snowfall. I read about the one guy having all his livestock killed by someone putting a pest defogger in his mail slot. What sot of reef gangs you guys have up here? Stick with the moonshine and bourbon at least! And lets face it, do want to buy anything form there soon after he opens? How can we, if it was all recently poisoned? Sad.

I think I may try and talk the fiancee' into riding along up to Aquarium Artisans. I hadn't heard about them before, and I'm glad I have now. I'd really like to source my stuff locally, even the hardware, because I believe in supporting local, small business, but it's getting harder and harder - especially with these places being at least 40 minutes away.

I may check out World of Pets just because it's close, but your description sounds way too familiar to places I generally avoid.

I really was spoiled before. I remember reading posts on this forum about the struggle to find good LFS. I was surrounded by them.

I appreciate the offered SPS, though I'm not confident the stock lights in whatever AIO I end up with will be potent enough to sustain their growth. But if you can't kill them, who knows!? Then again, since I've been gone, LEDs seem to the be norm, and I feel like I need an advanced degree to understand how to figure out intensity, etc. I like the old "this many watts per gallon," method. That monkey math I could do.

I'm an addict, here, and don't have an aquarium or desire to start one. Weird.

Not sure how to react to that. If I believed in using smiley faces, I'd use one that showed a confused indifference.

Welcome back. I lasted 6 months and that was because I was recovering from giving birth and adjusting to motherhood. Lol. Now i could write a book of "how to entertain your child while dealing with your tank: lessons in futility and madness"

Futility in Madness. Right. Can't seem to put my finger on why I left this hobby . . .

I broke down my tank my junior year of high school.

Now I'm in my freshman year of college. I went to an aquarium a few weeks ago. Saw pretty sexy reef tanks. I finally caved to my withdrawal, and am planning a new tank for this upcoming fall.

ReversedlogiC

I broke down my tank my junior year of high school.

Now I'm in my freshman year of college. I went to an aquarium a few weeks ago. Saw pretty sexy reef tanks. I finally caved to my withdrawal, and am planning a new tank for this upcoming fall.

I had fresh water tanks in middle school and high school. I didn't start salt water until my mid-20s.

It's funny, because I know exactly what brought me back. It was an article on facebook about the EcoTech Marine Quiet Drive. I felt like there were just too many cool things happening in the hobby for me to stay away. Plus, having moved from Florida, I can't see this stuff face to face in my backyard. The only way to get a taste of the ocean is to have some salt water in the living room.

Same here, except it's my African Grey. "I love you" isn't her favorite phrase, but she says it a few times a day. I normally get a "Hi Bird" or "Hi Zuri" (her name) and some whistles. If I ignore her too long, I get a "come here." No matter what she says, I can count on a Grey hanging from her cage, upside down, trying earnestly to get me to let her out. That's if I beat the kids home. If not, then it's a 3 and 2 yr old, a wife and then the birds, followed by the tanks. Did I mention I have 4 tanks in my livingroom? 3 nanos and a 120g. Coming home never sucks.

Also, welcome back to the addiction. Nobody here is going to help you kick it!

The best thing about the hobby is wiping my kids sticky hand marks and face prints off the glass :blink:

I thought I could give it up, then came the Pico's......... :wub:

Archived