inTank Media Baskets

Bulk activated carbon vs chemipure?

jojo822

reefernanoman

Rox carbon, much better product IMO, and cheaper

So get a media bag and throw it in there? Then get a bag of Chemipure? How often does a media bag of this carbon should be changed? Thanks!

Any specific brand of rox carbon to suggest?

NorthGaHillbilly

No need for the chemipure from my experience, I used it in the past, and it "worked" but no better than any decent carbon. Unless Im mistaken its just a decent carbon and some DI resin.

NorthGaHillbilly, on 20 Feb 2015 - 8:38 PM, said:NorthGaHillbilly, on 20 Feb 2015 - 8:38 PM, said:

No need for the chemipure from my experience, I used it in the past, and it "worked" but no better than any decent carbon. Unless Im mistaken its just a decent carbon and some DI resin.

I think it does more, here's info direct from Boyd's web-site:

BTW, I use it and I like it. I change it out every 2 months and the water clarity is fantastic! Even the wife took notice of how "clean" it looked, and she normally doesn't care.

The benefits of using Chemipure Blue:
  • Keeps pH stable and constant
  • Reduces fish loss due to pH changes or polluted water
  • Keeps aquariums crystal clear
  • Provides positive neurological reactions in fish, mimicking a natural environment
  • Removes dissolved organics
  • Helps fish have a better appetite
  • Eliminates osmotic shock
  • Increases fish life span
  • Filters out coppers, metals, odors and phenol
  • Prevents ion antagonism

CPB.jpg

Boyd Enterprises is proud to announce a revolutionary NEW addition to the Chemi-pure family, Chemi-pure Blue!

Chemi-pure Blue is specially created for fantastic results in reef and marine aquariums. Our NEW proprietary blend of premium, low-dust pelleted carbon and high capacity ion-exchange resins are skillfully combined to create a superior all-in-one filter media in a nylon bag. Chemi-pure Blue significantly reduces organic compounds and phosphates while raising redox and helping stabilize pH for a healthy, crystal clear aquarium.

NorthGaHillbilly

BTW, I use it and I like it. I change it out every 2 months and the water clarity is fantastic! Even the wife took notice of how "clean" it looked, and she normally doesn't care.

• Provides positive neurological reactions in fish, mimicking a natural environment

CPB.jpg

Boyd Enterprises is proud to announce a revolutionary NEW addition to the Chemi-pure family, Chemi-pure Blue!

Chemi-pure Blue is specially created for fantastic results in reef and marine aquariums. Our NEW proprietary blend of premium, low-dust pelleted carbon and high capacity ion-exchange resins are skillfully combined to create a superior all-in-one filter media in a nylon bag. Chemi-pure Blue significantly reduces organic compounds and phosphates while raising redox and helping stabilize pH for a healthy, crystal clear aquarium.

I hear chemi-pure makes you water wetter.

P.S. where the hell is StevieT? I'm surprised he hasn't popped in this thread yet.

Send him a pm.....

I'll still stick with chemi-pure, I've used it for years and why fix something that isn't broke???

CPB.jpg

I don't think Rox carbon has the ion -exhange resins? Thanks for high lighting that...

reefernanoman

CPB.jpg

You change it out every 2 months? what is your livestock? how many fish and what size tank? thanks!

You change it out every 2 months? what is your livestock? how many fish and what size tank? thanks!

Yep.... 2 clowns, a bluespot jawfish, a starcki damsel, and a yellow assessor, plus many sps corals. I feed every other day.

I believe CPE says you can change out every 3 mpnths, IIRC.....

I also like Chemipure, but nobody has yet explained to me how Boyd thinks that after 2 or 3 months the media hasn't been taken over by a bacterial population...usually 2 to 4 weeks in an established system.

Archived