Top Shelf Aquatics

WARNING IMPORTANT BULK REEF SUPPLY CUSTOMERS.......

basser1

One thing that hasn't been addressed aside from CC theft is the annoying phone calls and bogus PP e-mails I'm getting inundated with..... As I understand it, the theives do have phone numbers and e-mail, in addition to addresses.

Like I said, fun times......

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did i get a letter???? I didn't purchase anything from them between those dates?

did you enter their giveaways? my fiancee didn't order anything from them either but she got one, we suspect it was because they had you log in for their giveaways.

If they didn't profit it would stop tomorrow.

Let's see. I have lost thousands as a vendor due to CC fraud. As you do not know, when a stolen credit card is processed, then disputed by the ture card holder. It isn't the bank that loses out.

It is the vendor that accepted that credit card.

Let's take an online order. Order placed, vendor ships. 1 2 3 months go by and vendor receives a chargeback notice. Vendor provides proof of shipping but there are tell tale signs he will lose.

Bank agrees, that's fraud and total transaction is taken out of vendors account, plus a chargeback fee. So this vendor lost the prouct, lost the profit, lost the labor, lost the shipping, lost the handling material and on top of that lost $25+ to a bank fee. Oh not to mention the time it too to fight and cash flow it expected for that daily opperation.

Is that enough? Are you still "LMAO"

Until we make the banks responsible for their accout numbers, this will never end. They only profit on CC fraud.

Having worked in banking for most of my life, I can tell you that the banks take more losses than the fee income generated from chargebacks. The banks write off more disputes than you realize. You are seeing it only from one side, which I can understand why you would be unhappy and be "against" the banks.

The allowance accounts are prepared. Thank the Dodd-Frank act for that.

HecticDialectics

Having worked in banking for most of my life, I can tell you that the banks take more losses than the fee income generated from chargebacks. The banks write off more disputes than you realize. You are seeing it only from one side, which I can understand why you would be unhappy and be "against" the banks.

The bank should bear the full burden. It's their account to validate. They're in a better position to confirm real charges than a small business a thousand miles away over the Internet. Why should StevieT have to cover the bank's dispute write offs?

The bank should bear the full burden. It's their account to validate. They're in a better position to confirm real charges than a small business a thousand miles away over the Internet. Why should StevieT have to cover the bank's dispute write offs?

It is an impossible situation for either party. There will never be foolproof fraud analytics. Same way there will never be equality for all, ending world hunger and a tank without RTN'ing sps...its a dream...

Back when I was customer facing as fast as we would hear THANK YOU for blocking x fraud transaction would some idiot scream and complain that we blocked their legitimate transaction as a flagged transaction. Nobody can win.

HecticDialectics

It is an impossible situation for either party. There will never be foolproof fraud analytics. Same way there will never be equality for all, ending world hunger and a tank without RTN'ing sps...its a dream...

Back when I was customer facing as fast as we would hear THANK YOU for blocking x fraud transaction would some idiot scream and complain that we blocked their legitimate transaction as a flagged transaction. Nobody can win.

You only think this way because you are not a creative problem solver. "That's just the way it is" is an absolutely terrible excuse both in business and life.

You only think this way because you are not a creative problem solver. "That's just the way it is" is an absolutely terrible excuse both in business and life.

the problem is that the criminals are always quick to adapt to any new security tech, just like the evolution of weapons and armor. although I do agree with what you're saying, I also think ps2cho is right as well, many times stopping criminal activity hurts legitimate activity.

The banks and merchant services need to come up with timed pass codes for shopping online. You're on the Internet anyway, You log into your credit card, tell them what you're spending and get that code. Or tell them that you are using the card period. That code is then used on the merchants website during checkout.

There are only so many merchant services so they would have to integrate with the websites. Or integrate with pass codes on the computer/finger print readers on the device. We already are doing this with the CCV code on the back of the card, which is another retarded idea as it's easily stolen.

Even if the above is stupid think of something better. Because right now there is nothing. All you need is some numbers that are so easy to steal and purchase to get away with free stuff. Like HD said you put all of the fraud investigation on the vendor, you make it their call to either piss off a real customer or prevent a loss a few months later.

What do the banks write off? Labor, systems, infrastructure for dealing with their systems fraud? I don't see how they are writing off any actual charge backs unless the vendor went out of business. All the time making 1-2% every time every card in the world is swiped. Cry me a river.

"against" the banks.

I'm not against banks. I'm against the systems and polices they have in place that make CC fraud on the internet so freaking easy. Then ding the vendor for the full amount of the charge back, plus a charge back fee on top of that months later. Then make it impossible dispute their decision to protect their bad system.

I'm pretty sure I used my PayPal during that period, but I'm going over my history tonight. I did get a letter, and signed up for the Experian protection thing. If nothing else, it's worth the mil of identity theft insurance.

My company card was stolen from the Home Depot hack. Charged back and replaced.

My personal debit card was stolen from the Target hack. Same.

I'm tired of replacing cards. I don't really blame anybody except the thieves, TBH. The banks and the vendors are the ones hurt most. Especially the vendors. :(

Why can't the cc company integrate a "verify card" button after you have entered your number that texts you a 4-5 digit pin to input on the page in addition to the security code on the card? Is there anything like that out there?

CronicReefer

Why can't the cc company integrate a "verify card" button after you have entered your number that texts you a 4-5 digit pin to input on the page in addition to the security code on the card? Is there anything like that out there?

They just haven't caught up to video games yet. A lot of MMORPG use this to prevent players accounts from getting hacked.

I was a lucky one that got my info swiped from them got about $300 from me off of some Spanish phone card site got the letter about 3 weeks after all that happened

Because that makes too much sense and they like ####ing vendors while profiting off of fraud.

• 2 weeks later...

I was almost part of this Sunday night. I went and ordered from Bulk Reef Supply during the hacking thing and used my card. When I got to work today I found out my bank's electronic loss prevention department had denied two incoming charges from China totaling about $1300 today. So heads up everyone! Check your account once a day for the next few weeks if possible. Now I gotta wait for a new card for a week because my old card had to be inactivated. :furious:

Archived