Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

WARNING IMPORTANT BULK REEF SUPPLY CUSTOMERS.......

basser1

This is terrible news I just saw on Reef-Builders:

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/02/20/bulk-reef-supply-suffers-cyber-attack-customer-data-stolen/

Apparently BRS has been hacked and all of their data has been stolen. Names, addresses and CC info has been affected.

I'd advise those who have dealt with BRS to check out and read the above article and take the necessary steps to protect your personal and credit information!!

Needless to say, this stinks!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BattleAthletics

This is terrible news I just saw on Reef-Builders:

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/02/20/bulk-reef-supply-suffers-cyber-attack-customer-data-stolen/

Apparently BRS has been hacked and all of their data has been stolen. Names, addresses and CC info has been affected.

I'd advise those who have dealt with BRS to check out and read the above article and take the necessary steps to protect your personal and credit information!!

Needless to say, this stinks!!

Yes it does!

HecticDialectics

Where do you buy a 200 dollar pizza?

He had to buy 10 pizzas for the bachelor party with the hooker he got from the "dating" website.

Sounds like good times were had!

StevieT, on 20 Feb 2015 - 4:11 PM, said:StevieT, on 20 Feb 2015 - 4:11 PM, said:StevieT, on 20 Feb 2015 - 4:11 PM, said:

Meh. You are not out a dime if your credit card is used fraudulently.

The vendor is. The banks even profit off of CC fraud.

I think there could be a lot more to it than CC fraud. How about stolen indentity??

Don't kid yourself, there's all kinds of stuff that information can be used for.

BTW, If anyone is interested here is a link to RCs' vendor thread for BRS. Looks like one fellow was taken for 2 grand another for over $400 bucks.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2482253

BRS claims letters went out yesterday to notify those customers that were affected. So if you've used BRS during the time period listed, keep a look out for notice in your mailbox.

Where do you buy a 200 dollar pizza?

Domino's. I wonder how pissed that manager is going to be once they find out that the bank canceled that transaction....

Meh. You are not out a dime if your credit card is used fraudulently.

The vendor is. The banks even profit off of CC fraud.

What are you talking about banks making profits off CC fraud lmao!!!

Please do tell your references or experience on this matter

reefernanoman

Here we go again! The endless battle against online hackers! No one is safe!

And I did buy stuff with them during that period, but used PP only.

Crap, I shop at Target, it gets hacked, I shop at Home depot, it gets hacked, I shop at BRS, it gets hacked. Now I guess I'm just waiting for Amazon to get hacked.

So this is all Seabass'es fault.... mmmmhmmmm where else have you been shopping so I know to stay the hell away from it. Guess I will be watching the mail box this week, maybe even going and talking to the banks getting new cards, and changing all my passwords... seems like it has been a while and should probably just do that. If they still my card number though they will be sad, I keep just enough on those cards to make online purchases with no overdraft.

I think there could be a lot more to it than CC fraud. How about stolen indentity??

Don't kid yourself, there's all kinds of stuff that information can be used for.

BTW, If anyone is interested here is a link to RCs' vendor thread for BRS. Looks like one fellow was taken for 2 grand another for over $400 bucks.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2482253

BRS claims letters went out yesterday to notify those customers that were affected. So if you've used BRS during the time period listed, keep a look out for notice in your mailbox.

What, your address?

Have you checked your mail lately? Everyone knows your name and address. It's not a secret or an identity.

IMO you are fine

What worries me is the flood of credit card numbers that will see their way into vendors which may be out hundreds depending on how closely they look at orders. Then those vendors if targeted and ship or give out goods will see chargebacks. The chargepacks will be approved an ontop of that at the least a $25 fee plus the loss of shipping, goods, and income.

The only ID you have these days is your SSN. And you give that to the cable guy over the phone....

Your credit card is not your identity. It is numbers that you have a net account with. And it never was your money when charged. Which is exaclty why you should always run everything as credit.

What are you talking about banks making profits off CC fraud lmao!!!

Please do tell your references or experience on this matter

If they didn't profit it would stop tomorrow.

Let's see. I have lost thousands as a vendor due to CC fraud. As you do not know, when a stolen credit card is processed, then disputed by the ture card holder. It isn't the bank that loses out.

It is the vendor that accepted that credit card.

Let's take an online order. Order placed, vendor ships. 1 2 3 months go by and vendor receives a chargeback notice. Vendor provides proof of shipping but there are tell tale signs he will lose.

Bank agrees, that's fraud and total transaction is taken out of vendors account, plus a chargeback fee. So this vendor lost the prouct, lost the profit, lost the labor, lost the shipping, lost the handling material and on top of that lost $25+ to a bank fee. Oh not to mention the time it too to fight and cash flow it expected for that daily opperation.

Is that enough? Are you still "LMAO"

Until we make the banks responsible for their accout numbers, this will never end. They only profit on CC fraud.

SteveT, since you seem to grasp the messed up CC mechanisms better then most, will you be one of the first to accept Bitcoin? Miles better then the alternatives for a vendor. I know I would buy more from you if ya did ;)

Check out bitpay or coinbase. Literally zero risks on your end and no charge-backs possible. PM me if ya wanna discuss.

(Simply put, CC is a reversible pull transaction... Bitcoin is push nonreversable)

So this is all Seabass'es fault.... mmmmhmmmm where else have you been shopping so I know to stay the hell away from it.

1-800-Flowers... and yeah, the roses that they shipped where already falling apart when they arrived (but they'll replace them).

Me: You'll get some better looking ones in a couple days [after Vantentine's Day].

Her: That'll be nice. :mellow:

Not really the effect I was shooting for ($75 later).

SteveT, since you seem to grasp the messed up CC mechanisms better then most, will you be one of the first to accept Bitcoin? Miles better then the alternatives for a vendor. I know I would buy more from you if ya did ;)

Check out bitpay or coinbase. Literally zero risks on your end and no charge-backs possible. PM me if ya wanna discuss.

(Simply put, CC is a reversible pull transaction... Bitcoin is push nonreversable)

I have tried to wrap my head around bitcoin but the whole mining thing without actual drils has got me in a confusion. Especially since I know the mining industry. ;)

Plus my I am sure my merchant service would rather stay the status quo. In conclusion, the merchant service is my true boss that I bend over to. But I am willing to embrace change especially since my existance is on the interweb. I hate CC fraud more than customers pretend to so you maybe on to something.

The push transaction is the way it needs to be.

We purchased from them during the time period and had two cases of fraud on our cc. Spotted it and it was taken care of (along with new card) quickly. Credit cards were never meant for the cyber age.

Archived