SaltCritters.com

canister filter or hob for a 5.5 gallon nano

Pattycdef

im curently using a 150 pen plax hob filter and i have a ehiem 2211 on my freshwater planted tank and i was curious as to know if a canister filter was better for my nano or if i should just stick with my hob or does anyone else have any other better filters they can recomned to me

Most people feel that it's easier to do maintenance on a HOB power filter, than on a canister filter. Canister filters can be alright to use if they are kept clean. Also, I feel that it's best not to use biological media (leaving the nitrifying bacteria to reside on the live rock, and sand).

Marc.The.Shark

I used an eheim canister filter some years back on a saltwater nano, what a pain in the #$@. Constantly disconnecting it & cleaning it out. Got old really fast. HOB is much better, had another nano with that setup, much easier to change media/do maintenance, plus a lot of people mod the AC's into Fuge's if you don't have room for a sump.

On my 7.5 deep blue cube tank I used a A/C 70 and that provided good filtration and enough water flow for the tank without having to use a powerhead. You can get a A/C 70 on Amazon for cheap, cheaper than any LFS.

Canister filter is a nice idea but when it comes to cleaning they are a royal pain. By the time you get the canister broken down you can have the A/C cleaned & back up and running with new media in it. Plus you can see when the A/C will need cleaning.

HOB would get my vote just ditch any biowheels and the filters that come with a HOB in a salt tank. Eventually you could get an overflow like Mame and put in a sump. HOB is cheaper and easier way to start out and see where it takes you.

Woudln't bother with a sump on a 5 gal, I ran a 20L for over a year with no sump and now my 40 Breeder with no sump and everything in my tank is thriving and I've had no issues. Sure you can run one but I just don't see the point unless you are looking at a large reef system of a 100 gallons or more. I'm going on almost 3 years on smaller tanks with no sumps and no dosing. I prefer keeping it simple and it will save you money and your stuff will thrive.

Archived