Pod Your Reef

What do you guys think of my tank

alanwest09872

alanwest09872

Ok I am going to post some pics of my tank. I would appreicate some feedback. Please let me know what you think. Also if I could get a few id's it would be appreicated. Thanks a ton

Does anyone know what kind of algea this is. And how concerned should I be.

2015_02_19_15_20_38_715.jpg

2015_02_19_15_21_09_395.jpg

My Rock scape. If you notice theres 2 flat surfaces in the middle. I am hoping to set some anenomes/ corals on them. Please let me know if thats a good idea.

2015_02_19_15_19_39_874.jpg

2015_02_19_15_19_59_518.jpg

2015_02_19_15_20_19_614.jpg

Well I can say the brown algae on your sand bed are called diatoms. It's normal when a tank is cycling and can easily be taken care of with the right clean up crew (I.e. Cerith snails, nassarus snails, turbo snails etc...). As for the flat ledges its a great idea and the rock work is setup nicely just make sure its sturdy enough and won't fall over easily. As for using it for anemones, I just want to make sure you understand that anemones move freely based off lighting and current and will move wherever it pleases. Be sure you're positive on getting an anemone as they can split like crazy and sting other corals. The flat edges will work for other corals though! I'd say get a clean up crew now.. Other than that it looks good!,

alanwest09872

Well I can say the brown algae on your sand bed are called diatoms. It's normal when a tank is cycling and can easily be taken care of with the right clean up crew (I.e. Cerith snails, nassarus snails, turbo snails etc...). As for the flat ledges its a great idea and the rock work is setup nicely just make sure its sturdy enough and won't fall over easily. As for using it for anemones, I just want to make sure you understand that anemones move freely based off lighting and current and will move wherever it pleases. Be sure you're positive on getting an anemone as they can split like crazy and sting other corals. The flat edges will work for other corals though! I'd say get a clean up crew now.. Other than that it looks good!,

Oh I know anenomes move I should have typed just corals. That was my bad. I dont have the cleanup crew yet. I will have it in about 1.5 weeks.

As for the rockwork. The bottom/middle are really secure the very top is kind of iffy. I mean it doesnt seem like it will fall but if it gets pushed the wrong way then it is a possiblity but I would say it is fairly unlikely

Just play it safe... You don't want a snail to nudge the rock work trying to get into the crevices nor do you want the corals to over grow and cause the rock work to shift up top. That could cause the rock work to collapse onto the corals below. If you're confident that it won't then leave it be, it looks good as it is!

alanwest09872

Just play it safe... You don't want a snail to nudge the rock work trying to get into the crevices nor do you want the corals to over grow and cause the rock work to shift up top. That could cause the rock work to collapse onto the corals below. If you're confident that it won't then leave it be, it looks good as it is!

I am not 100 percent confident. I didnt even think of the coral growth knocking it over. Im going to have to think of a way to strengthin it just a bit.

I think it would look better w/ less rock and for flow of water. Have some key rock structures as focus.

See I was thinking of removing maybe the top 2 layers. The only thing holding me back is the more Rock work the more corals I can put down.

alanwest09872

Well I have had it setup since November. I just got more Base rock last month and added it. So its been up and running for 4 months. That should be good right?

Test you parameters to see where you are at with ammonia, nitrite and nitrates..you should be 0,0, and >10 and then you could be safe to assume your tank is cycled. As for the less versus more rockwork, I think its personal preference. In a smaller tank more rock takes up more room thus resulting in less space for coral growth but at the same time it also depends on the types of corals you want.. Leave it as is, and if down the road you are adding more corals and want less rock work then remove the top layer and go from there.

alanwest09872

Test you parameters to see where you are at with ammonia, nitrite and nitrates..you should be 0,0, and >10 and then you could be safe to assume your tank is cycled. As for the less versus more rockwork, I think its personal preference. In a smaller tank more rock takes up more room thus resulting in less space for coral growth but at the same time it also depends on the types of corals you want.. Leave it as is, and if down the road you are adding more corals and want less rock work then remove the top layer and go from there.

Thats a good idea.

As for my Parameters they are 0 across the board. Even Nitrates. I do weekly water changes of 10 gallons on a 70 gallonish tank. so around 15 percent. I am using the API test kit But when I test for Nitrates I always do it twice. Once shaking the bottle slow and the 2nd shaking it fast. Both results are always negetive.

Archived