Coral Vue Hydros

Blastomussa Expelling Zooxanthellae

Wisenheimer

I've recently upgraded the light on my tank. I've been increasing the intensity by 5% each week and I'm now at 65%.

All of my corals look great except my Blastomussa. Since turning up the light 4 days ago it's been a little curled at the edges and hasn't fully opened. Now, for the last couple of days I've been seeing brown discharge from its mouth. It still has good colour but just isn't really happy.

Is it just adjusting to the increased intensity or do I need to move it to a more shaded spot. It's currently on the sand bed so going lower isn't really an option. Lol

Any insights on coral stress or signs of bleaching are appreciated.

Pics would help.. how long has it been doing this? Do you feed them? It might be worth it to try to shade them or move them our of a direct beam from an LED but it doesn't seem like that should be the problem.

If it's in direct light, even on the sandbed, I'd move it under a rock ledge or somewhere it can be shaded. Sounds like it's getting too much light. Blastomussa wellsi can be really difficult, from my experience. So far I've been unable to keep them alive. I hope yours does well for you. If you like them but find them to be too difficult, the blasto merlettis are so much easier to keep alive..just FYI for the future :).

Swing2Harmony

When LPS doesn't do well, I try to feed it. But if you have a shrimp make sure they don't beat the thing up to get some food out of it!

And as others have already said, they don't like high light at all!

Thanks, everyone. I'll try moving it to a more shaded spot.

It had been really puffy until I increased my light intensity. It's just one larger head and a second head that I was sure was going to die when I saw it at the LFS. The small head has grown since I got it and has gotten a bit of colour back so until now I think it's been happy.

It does eat. When I'm feeding frozen food to the fish it closes up and eats whatever size chunks happen to land on it. I also feed Reef Roids once a week and it takes that as well.

It actually looks a bit better tonight. Here's a pic.

I'm still going to move it out of the direct lighting. Let me know if you see any warning signs that I don't.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

post-78284-0-86557400-1424388161_thumb.jpg

So it's off to the side out of the direct light but not completely shaded. It's definitely paler than it was so I'll assume that it started to bleach.

It does eat any bits of Marine Cuisine that land on it when I'm feeding the fish and takes Reef Roids on coral feeding day as well.

How long should I expect it to take to colour back up?

So it's off to the side out of the direct light but not completely shaded. It's definitely paler than it was so I'll assume that it started to bleach.

It does eat any bits of Marine Cuisine that land on it when I'm feeding the fish and takes Reef Roids on coral feeding day as well.

How long should I expect it to take to colour back up?

I had the same thing happen with one of mine. Bleached out and much less "poofy". It's been about a month and it's just now getting some of it's deeper, richer color back.....still a little smaller than it was. Less light, more direct feedings....and time.

Archived