Innovative Marine Aquariums

JLangtree's 9L (2.3Gal) Mixed Pico Reef

jlangtree

Wow that cynarina is getting big! Nice job. Colours look great on that piece.

Thanks mate!

Yeah its coming along nicely, I have to work out a place to put the Birdsnest in there. Thinking of moving the Eagle Eye colony up the top to get it closer to the light and let it spread over the rock, and then put the Birdsnest on the small ledge they are sitting on now (half way down the tank.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks mate!

Yeah its coming along nicely, I have to work out a place to put the Birdsnest in there. Thinking of moving the Eagle Eye colony up the top to get it closer to the light and let it spread over the rock, and then put the Birdsnest on the small ledge they are sitting on now (half way down the tank.

Should work nicely once grown out. Really like the small tank. Where'd you pick it up from?

Happy Saturday afternoon everyone!

Just about to do a water change and thought I would take a pic to show how the Zoas are coloring up.

Compared to the pic earlier on in this thread, the centers have really become more defined with yellow and green (once again please forgive the blued out iPotato photo and the glare from the HOB filter)

post-85423-0-06243700-1426913926_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So once again another week goes by where work gets in the road of updating this thread :lol:

So in other news the two big cushions have found where each-other live, and are engaging on all out slime warfare.... One of them has to go, but I cant decide which one. Its either the massive one (and that was my first ever coral my wife bought me) or the pretty new green one, definitely going to need some advice on this one haha.

And the green fluffy mushrooms are getting massive, almost too big and will need to be culled shortly....

I am hoping to swap both of them for a tiny bright reg or green one, that can sit under the crevice of the main rock structure.

Picked up a few new Zoa frags last Friday, the photo is of the exact ones I bought. They are currently sitting on the bottom of my tank until I work out where I want to fix them.

Bottom line is, I need more floor space ha ha.

post-85423-0-69103000-1427757378_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Finally found a piece to fill in the blank area at the top of the main rock to the left of the Zoas.

That green Pocci may have been a frag in the amazing tank I got it from, but in this one its almost a full blown colony :lol:

It has been in there for a few days, and it must be happy because the polyp extension looks good!

On another note, does anyone know if putting it this close to Zoanthids (3/4 inch between it and the nearest ones) will be a problem if either polyp eventually ends up touching?

Please forgive the blued out iPotato photo.....

post-85423-0-12811500-1428616241_thumb.jpg

One surprising thing I haven't noticed until I took the above picture; back when I started this tank, up the top I placed a single polyp of a "Purple Hornet" it appeared to never open so I placed other Zoas over the top of it.

To my surprise now I have around 5 polyps of purple Zoas with a yellow dot in the center and yellow frills :lol:

They couldn't be in a more awkward place (center of a large patch) so I cant really grab them to frag.... so I am hoping I can keep them around long enough so that they make at least a small patch ha ha.

• 3 weeks later...
jlangtree

Well its been a while sine the last update of this little tank!

But it has not succumbed to the usual fate of Pico Reef's and faded into oblivion :lol:

Everything is looking great, growth and color is good. However I am going in a slightly different direction, as we are moving interstate approx 1056 miles...... So I thought I would post a pic of how it is doing now, because when we get to our final destination it will look entirely different when set back up :wub:

post-85423-0-64250200-1430705103_thumb.jpg

jlangtree

So, after moving on the large green Cynarina and the green Fluffy Morphs I was left with basically the main rock with its attachments and the GSP/SP.

I have been on the lookout for MONTHS for a true Red Cynarina that was just the right size to fit in the 2Gal Pico, and thanks to the team at a LFS called "100% Reef Safe" I have found one with AMAZING color and just the right size :lol:

Excuse the iPotato photo, it is far more impressive up close and personal ;)

I am now on the lookout for its twin in a solid green version.... may take forever ha ha.

post-85423-0-32809900-1430821009_thumb.jpg

jlangtree

Quick update,

With the purchase of the new red Cynarina, I wanted to keep its "Flesh" off the glass bottom for a couple of reasons.

1. I have found that regardless of the substrate, they ALL get some form of irritation when their "Flesh" rubs against it and this in turn causes them to release a mucus that in smaller tanks causes further irritation to other corals.

By raising it off the ground a 15mm, I am hoping to minimize this behavior.

2. Most of the LPS bottoms are NEVER cut straight enough to sit at a desired viewing angle when collected, and every tank has a different spot where you would want to display x coral at x angle, mine being no different.

As I have a spot where I want to display this particular piece under a slight arch and on an approx 45 degree angle toward the front of the tank, this little structure should hold it directly as I desire. While still allowing flow around the coral and not collecting detritus.

What I have done with a piece of 40mm PVC pipe is nothing new by any stretch of the imagination, and is seen in nearly every LFS I have been to, it just has a slight twist and took less time to make than type this :lol:

post-85423-0-74926200-1430992568_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well the new Cynarina went through a bit of a "stage"where it stayed closed for about a week, and I found and removed what looked like a tiny Whelk in the middle of my Zoa patch :wacko: (I had previously seen this little bugger before skirting around the edges of my old XXL Cynarina)

It didn't look too good and the skin was stretched out over the skeleton, I was mighty pissed off and worried at the same time that I may lose such an awesome piece (seeing as I got rid of two nice pieces to make room for it :angry:)

I moved it to the back left hand side of the tank, and to my surprise a day later it was open and back to its old self again! I dont know what to put the return to health down to (a LOT happened for a tank that small in one day; 100% water change, HP Basting to entire rock structure, removal of suspected Whelk and a change in position of the Cynarina)

Maybe it just had a tantrum in the new environment?

Well just a quick update before the weekend,

The tank is going amazing! the Green Pocci has nearly covered all of the epoxy putty that it is secured with, the same goes for the red sponge at the base of the Duncan.

I have been going overboard with the feeding of Pellets to the Duncan over the last week, I am trying to feed the heads daily and they seem to LOVE these pellets http://www.oceannutrition.com/post/formula-one-pellets/and are showing (I believe) better color and expanding more :D

Lastly for today, I would like to share with you a picture of the beaches where I live (Gold Coast in Queensland Australia) This is a bit of a Panoramic shot taken with the iPotato down at a place called "The Spit"

My two girls love it, they have just discovered that the sand squeaks when they kick it :lol:

post-85423-0-37874800-1432853864_thumb.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

Solid red cynaria are tough to find, really glad you found one. I do the same thing with the PVC pieces on most of my larger LPS

18213564681_ed1c044fae_z.jpg

Solid red cynaria are tough to find, really glad you found one. I do the same thing with the PVC pieces on most of my larger LPS

18213564681_ed1c044fae_z.jpg

Wow! Thats an awesome looking piece :)

Yeah, the bottoms of them are NEVER cut straight and I don't want to put them through the stress of squaring them up 9000 times on the band saw because I am indecisive ha ha.

It took me soooooo long to find one with the color i liked that was the correct size, now I just need to find a solid green one that is just as bright ;)

Well I have got to learn to keep my hands out of the tank.....

On the way home I stopped by the LFS, they had half a dozen Red Monti frags around the 3/4 inch mark for $5-$9 (I grabbed the $5 one being a tight ass haha) because they were slightly losing color and heading brown.

And a small piece of live rock about a fist size for $3.

I was trying to lift my Zoas off the ground and place everything on two rocks, after getting everything glued and fixed into place I took it out and put it back the way it was..... and ended up setting the Monti on a ledge beside the Duncan :blink: it fit perfectly into a crevice!

So yeah, :lol:

HarryPotter

Well I have got to learn to keep my hands out of the tank.....

On the way home I stopped by the LFS, they had half a dozen Red Monti frags around the 3/4 inch mark for $5-$9 (I grabbed the $5 one being a tight ass haha) because they were slightly losing color and heading brown.

And a small piece of live rock about a fist size for $3.

I was trying to lift my Zoas off the ground and place everything on two rocks, after getting everything glued and fixed into place I took it out and put it back the way it was..... and ended up setting the Monti on a ledge beside the Duncan :blink: it fit perfectly into a crevice!

So yeah, :lol:

Heck yeah! I love $5 frags (whether small or discounted due to health)

Pictures! What color caps? While tank shot?

Heck yeah! I love $5 frags (whether small or discounted due to health)

Pictures! What color caps? While tank shot?

Hi Harryjsinger,

Sorry about the delayed response, we are busily packing for the big move to the other side of the state (1,058 mi)

The Monti is a basic Red/Pinkish one apparently ha ha, I cant really tell at this point what it will turn out like. It has been in the tank for approx 5 days and I believe I can see a slight color improvement toward the Red side, however I don't think it will end up being anything spectacular :lol: but as long as it keeps growing I really don't care TBH.

My goal was never to have a showpiece tank, just some nice pieces that were healthy and good growers.

This weekend I am heading in to pick up some Red/Purple fluffy mushrooms. In the pics they were WYSIWYG so hopefully they look as good in my tank as they did the sellers :happy:

post-85423-0-37769700-1433212209_thumb.jpg

Happy Monday everyone!

Its a public holiday here in Australia today, so just thought I would share a top down photo of the rear section of the tank (the front looks hideous because it is lined with frags ready for the move north ha ha)

Proudly bought to you by iPotato Photography :mellow:

post-85423-0-25030300-1433754257_thumb.jpg

So now it begins, the massive move to the northern end of QLD in Australia.

The tank will be meticulously broken down over the weekend and placed into 4-5gal buckets with lids, ready for the big move this coming Monday.

Hopefully everything takes the three day travel well, fingers crossed :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Well we arrived in Cairns a week and a half ago.

The trip took a total of 4 days, and on arrival (water changes every evening while on the trip) and was not without coral related drama. I have set everything up and moved on some pieces and acquired some new ones :lol:

I am just killing off a little bit of Bryopsis that showed its head during the move (its all but dead and the CUC is making short work of it) and making a few adjustments to the setup (stuff like a chiller now we are up in the heavy heat zone (over 100f some days during summer with a ridiculously high percentage of humidity)

Ill post a few pics over the next few days.

brandon429

Hey!

while we've been horn tooting about how we can strip our tanks apart while at home, and get no cycle, you just moved across Australia and didn't get one!

That's a distance record for farthest pico reef travel w instant setup, wow.

• 6 months later...

Well it has been a while, I haven't fallen of the edge of the world nor has my tank died :lol:

I have been busy setting up our business and house so the tank took a bit of a back seat. There have been a few modifications to the stock list with a few more to come over the coming weeks, however it is basically the same and moving along nicely.

We move into our new house in approx 6 weeks, so everything will change again (trying to push forward with the "Sola Tube" lighting, and maybe a slightly different shape tank albeit the same volume)

Here is a bit of a pic to show where we are at now, sorry about the crappy iPotato pic and its saturated colors.

post-85423-0-05291500-1452392859_thumb.jpg

Well done on the tank, its still looking awesome after all that moving around.

Unfortunately we dont see Cynarina coral here in NZ, mostly just scollys, blastos, acans, lobos etc...

Im on the hunt for a nice scolly for my nano, its a but hard with only two/three importers and a small population.

Archived