Top Shelf Aquatics

Another 12g Mr Aqua w/ Current USA orbit marine Pro!

louy99

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tank hasnt been as quiet as i have liked, I get small gurgle noises since its gravity fed drain not siphon. so i have been brain storming...how do i turn this into a siphon with little modification?? then i had an idea! i had this wide black tape laying around and covered half the screen and drilled a small air hole on the top of the drain elbow. By doing this it raised my water lvl a bit and water covers the whole bulkhead hole creating a syphon. now my tank makes no gurgle noise! Now to clean up the mod a bit, i have to find some flexible black material i can silicon to the screen to make it look nicer ( not sure if black tape is good for a fish tank)... any suggestions?

sorry the pictures are not that good but this is what is looks like

11187341_10106108437504123_1644687620498

11206855_10106108437723683_5495740405591

Build looks awesome dude!

Be careful when covering the whole bulkhead screen. If I cover one of my bulkheads with my hand, not very scientific, I create a siphon with the 2nd. This however causes a flushing sound as the waterlevel rises and lowers due to the different speeds of siphon and no siphon. Having both in full siphon levels no room for error and can cause the whole tank to overflow leaving you with water all over the floor and no water in the sump.

If the 2nd photo is "covering the whole bulkhead hole" but not the screen you're ok. This isn't a siphon yet. This is the normal level my tank runs at without the tape or airline hole. Looking at the tank from the front. If the waterlevel is about 1/8" higher than the pipe but there are still slots in the covers exposed to air you're in the sweet spot. Since you had to cover the bottom half of the screens to achieve this water level height, its possible you could pump even more water from your return, and this would give you more water fiow in the tank as well.

Build looks awesome dude!

Be careful when covering the whole bulkhead screen. If I cover one of my bulkheads with my hand, not very scientific, I create a siphon with the 2nd. This however causes a flushing sound as the waterlevel rises and lowers due to the different speeds of siphon and no siphon. Having both in full siphon levels no room for error and can cause the whole tank to overflow leaving you with water all over the floor and no water in the sump.

If the 2nd photo is "covering the whole bulkhead hole" but not the screen you're ok. This isn't a siphon yet. This is the normal level my tank runs at without the tape or airline hole. Looking at the tank from the front. If the waterlevel is about 1/8" higher than the pipe but there are still slots in the covers exposed to air you're in the sweet spot. Since you had to cover the bottom half of the screens to achieve this water level height, its possible you could pump even more water from your return, and this would give you more water fiow in the tank as well.

Thanks, I'm not 100% sure I'll do a siphon but I noticed my drain bulkheads were not at the same height so that makes it difficult to make quiet. I have adjusted them so now they are the same height.

just ordered the cadlights pls-50 nano skimmer from Marine Depot...i hear good things about this skimmer so ill give it a shot.

got my cool custom made 20L sump filter sock kit, ill have a small section to house my tunze 9001 skimmer and return pump sicce 3.5. i will have about 10 inches of space avaliable for a refugium. my question is would you guys do a fuge or not waste the effort?

11027988_10105828358779133_5844223689591

10986937_10105870519603503_5856351215124

Where did you get this kit from

Where did you get this kit from

from a company called aquabox that is no longer in business, got the last one they sold.

got my sump set up how i envisioned....left reactor is GFO, right reactor Carbon, cadlights pls-50 nano skimmer, extra live rock down there and Tunze ATO. if i have trouble in the long run with nitrates and phosphates, ill convert the GFO reactor to Bio Pellets but this should work.

11212621_10106132936777383_7146330223935

pics for your pleasure

10841970_10106132937041853_1182697319765

11147014_10106132936772393_3124894404131

11181945_10106132937001933_5000353966170

11227533_10106132936537863_3132819958581

Where did u get the cover for ur tank?

I'm guessing you're asking about the screen cover. I got the white frame at Home Depot and screen from bulk reef supply

Looks amazing dude!

Hope the kids love it. The next tank I ever make is most likely going to be for my daughters room once she can appreciate it more (shes 10 months old at the moment)

tank hasnt been as quiet as i have liked, I get small gurgle noises since its gravity fed drain not siphon. so i have been brain storming...how do i turn this into a siphon with little modification?? then i had an idea! i had this wide black tape laying around and covered half the screen and drilled a small air hole on the top of the drain elbow. By doing this it raised my water lvl a bit and water covers the whole bulkhead hole creating a syphon. now my tank makes no gurgle noise! Now to clean up the mod a bit, i have to find some flexible black material i can silicon to the screen to make it look nicer ( not sure if black tape is good for a fish tank)... any suggestions?

So I did this same concept on my 12g long. I used a 3/4" strainer and I experienced a loud slurping noise as the water seemed to drain as fast as my 3/4" return supplied it. So to fix the slurping I drilled a hole in top of the drain elbow and although that sounded 10x better, it still made noise and I wasnt a fan. Ultimately, my solution, which most would not agree with, I resealed the hole I drilled in the top of the drain elbow and I added a ball valve in the drain line. I adjusted the valve just enough so the slurping stopped and you can't hear the water running though. If you can hear the water that is because there is air in the line. The goal is to have no air in the line like a siphon. There is a very fine line though. You go too far you could flood the display tank. But, this is 100% soundless. I have my Sump set up so if my display is draining too slow that the return pump section of the sump will run out of water before it overflows the display. Risky stuff I know. But if you can get the valves just right you don't have to worry about it overflowing and you have a completely soundless system.

So I did this same concept on my 12g long. I used a 3/4" strainer and I experienced a loud slurping noise as the water seemed to drain as fast as my 3/4" return supplied it. So to fix the slurping I drilled a hole in top of the drain elbow and although that sounded 10x better, it still made noise and I wasnt a fan. Ultimately, my solution, which most would not agree with, I resealed the hole I drilled in the top of the drain elbow and I added a ball valve in the drain line. I adjusted the valve just enough so the slurping stopped and you can't hear the water running though. If you can hear the water that is because there is air in the line. The goal is to have no air in the line like a siphon. There is a very fine line though. You go too far you could flood the display tank. But, this is 100% soundless. I have my Sump set up so if my display is draining too slow that the return pump section of the sump will run out of water before it overflows the display. Risky stuff I know. But if you can get the valves just right you don't have to worry about it overflowing and you have a completely soundless system.

Beautiful set up! I would personally do my best to keep the sand completely free of frags to give this set up a very clean look.

Cheers

HarryPotter

Beautiful set up! I would personally do my best to keep the sand completely free of frags to give this set up a very clean look.

Cheers

+1, although I don't see many frags on the sand bed. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that the GSP is there so that it will not overtake his aquascape.

+1, although I don't see many frags on the sand bed. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that the GSP is there so that it will not overtake his aquascape.

you are right, the sand is pretty clean right now. I was simply suggesting that that's how he should keep it :)

HarryPotter

you are right, the sand is pretty clean right now. I was simply suggesting that that's how he should keep it :)

I agree, and hope I can keep that with my upgrade! My issue was simply not enough space on the rocks due to minimal rock work, but hopefully I can clean up da' bed.

Don't judge! (The pic is old, GHA is gone)

CC9952FE-D389-4B8D-9EA8-940D5512478E_zps

How is the light doing for you? Any complaints?

I'm liking the light, not much to complain about. My biggest complaint so far is that there are using the same ramp timer with two channels from the older orbit marine light. This timer is great for the older model because it only had white and blue LEDs. The pro has white, blue, magenta and ultra violet. One channel controls blues only and second channel controls white, magenta and UV. That doesn't make sense... This should have come with three channels.

GSP is there because I am getting it its own rock to grow on. I have extra rock in my sump...gonna shape a piece for the GSP and change my scape a bit with the added rock. I'm gonna do this tomorrow and post an updated scape pic
  • 1 month later...

added a rock to the left side of the center triangular rock for some gsp to grow. had extra Pukani rock in the sump and felt the display needed one more small rock.

11222258_10106359052444773_1677783013915

sorry its such a dark photo

• 1 month later...

Archived