Cultivated Reef

snowstorm from overdose of both 2 part solutions

marko

i must have done something with my new dosing pump, it just dumped everything from both 2 part bottles in the tank. it looks like milk.

pH was at 8.91 so i added some soda (i know that will actually pump the alk even higher, but i was worried about the pH), and 30 mL vinegar.

I have about 30 gal water volume, and id guess i had 200mL of ESV 2part Alk solution left in the bottle that got dumped. based on a reef calculator my alk is about 12.5dkh - but the Ca addition would have helped i assume.

i have a fresh 5gal bucket of water mixing now.

any advice for what to do going forward to mitigate damage?

waiting for my water to heat up the last 2 degrees.

the corals all have normal polyp extension (i can see halfway through the tank now), so hopefully ill get away with just some browning out.

This morning the water is clear so I checked my alk, it's at 10.5dkh up from 9.5dkh last night before any thing happened. So I think I'll be ok since I remember reading that up to a 1dkh increase is ok. I'll check my Ca later.

Ca is at 360ppm which is low but I had it dip that low before while I was ok with no losses.

Right now I'm hopeful that all that happened is that I made some work for myself cleaning the calcification of my equipment.

also, a water change w 5 degrees diff will not hurt, this saves you wait time for tank cpr

mild differences in salinity and temp are of no concern unless you have rare starfish. I dont know anything else that would mind, shipping is worse.

tank parameters are back to normal - kh fell to normal without dosing in 24 hours actually. did another WC today just to help pull out some of the snowflakes.

i hear alk spikes can take a week or two before obvious signs of damage are visible and STN to start. but for now, all the corals are normal. great PE on the sps, the lps are eating well, fish are behaving normally.

i hear alk spikes can take a week or two before obvious signs of damage are visible and STN to start. but for now, all the corals are normal. great PE on the sps, the lps are eating well, fish are behaving normally.

keep us posted over the next two weeks:)

Archived