Pod Your Reef

Current USA orbit marine led fixture for bc29?

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

I'm looking to change the lights on my new bc29. I had to buy timers and the fans are so noisy that I was going to replace them but that added up to about $50. I figured that if returned the stuf and switched the lights now, I could save money in the long run. It comes with a timer, runs color than the current PC bulbs and has cool settings like storm mode and such. was planning on switching the lights in the future anyways, so why not now? Just wondering if anyone has used the current USA orbit marine led fixture with success and would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance, liv :P

fishfreak0114

If that light isn't good enough (I wish to keep montiporas at the very top of the tank). Is there an led light fixture under $200 that would work?

Current Marine LEDs are not a very good value. They are based on older 1w LED tech.

Look at Reefbreeders value fixtures for something in the $200 range. You could also look at something like the Kessil 160 as it is close to $200, but I don't know much about them or if it would be enough for your tank.

The Current Marine Orbits are good values but only depending on what you want to grow. In a shallow tank (~15" and shallower) they will grow LPS and soft corals but not SPS corals. I've seen people growing LPS at the sand bed of a 20 long (~10"). Unfortunately that's where they max out. They're a great value because you can get the 24" fixture for $120 and it has a great timer and remote. It also has a slim design that doesn't take up a lot of space and doesn't need any additional equipment to mount it. For the same price you can get some of the cheap LED panels and they will definitely put out more light but you lose a lot of control and have to find a way to mount it. So in the end, it depends on what you want to grow. For your case, I wouldn't recommend it though. A nice Kessil would work great in that tank though.

I put the Current Marine Orbit on my Biocube 29... I retrofit it up into the hood behind the splashguard. I kept the fans since I didn't want to worry about heat. I have a thread on it somewhere if you do a search. I wanted to keep my hood.

I think it's a good light depending what you want to put in your tank and your expectations. For the price point, nice to get a light that can do softies and LPS if positioned well. I think SPS is a stretch... Now, if you dump the hood, you could probably put 2 of these fixture on the biocube and it might do the trick. That's what I am considering at the moment.

fishfreak0114

Thanks exmasonite. The search for a light has been put on hold because of money constraints, but I still want to upgrade in the future. I do want to keep the hood on.

Archived