Top Shelf Aquatics

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

Hang in there. I get emotional too. My mindset and the place I was in high school is very different from where I am now. Now I love life and myself. In high school I struggled with depression and some other stuff I won't go in to. I think everyone has their obstacles, and most of us have gotten really good at hiding our feelings.

How long is QT time normally? And woohoo vacation!!

PS. I got a new Dot and a new coral, I will post an update but probably not until tomorrow.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Hang in there. I get emotional too. My mindset and the place I was in high school is very different from where I am now. Now I love life and myself. In high school I struggled with depression and some other stuff I won't go in to. I think everyone has their obstacles, and most of us have gotten really good at hiding our feelings.

How long is QT time normally? And woohoo vacation!!

PS. I got a new Dot and a new coral, I will post an update but probably not until tomorrow.

I was right, I did cry again (unfortunately at taekwondo). But I finally told my bestie some things that I've never told anyone, some things I've been keeping inside for 8 years and I feel so much better. I also finally figured out the root of most of my anxiety issues. I realized that I'm always worried about the way I'm walking and if people think I walk strange. It been getting steadily worse, sometimes just walking down the hall at school leaves me feeling like I can't breathe. And of course who planted the seed in my head about me walking wierdly? My best friends...they've bugged me about how I walk for a long time, I just now realized how much their comments have affected me.

I've always QT'd for 4 weeks, but after reading about some people doing it for only 3 I've decided to give it a shot.

I'm looking forward to the update!!! :)

• Like 2

Good for you! A lifetime is a long time to worry about what other people think, anyway. My goal is to be like that little old lady at the grocery store wearing pajamas and slippers who looks totally happy because she could give a rat's patootie about what other people think of her :D

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Good for you! A lifetime is a long time to worry about what other people think, anyway. My goal is to be like that little old lady at the grocery store wearing pajamas and slippers who looks totally happy because she could give a rat's patootie about what other people think of her :D

I'm really hoping that now that I know what caused it that I'll be able to overcome it. The day after I had my revelation though, it was so bad that getting the 100m to my locker made me so stressed out I felt like crying. However, it's not just walking, just lots of people in general makes me uncomfortable/stressed out/self conscious. I'm fine when I'm not in Merritt, people here are just very judgy/gossipy/mean at times so it's worse here.

You know, one thing that really irritates me is how often people tell me I'm so smart, so they assume that I find school a breeze and have no worries about it at all. However, that's really not true, I do find it easy to get high A's in pretty much every subject, but something in my mind tells me that anything less than perfect isn't good enough so I'm constantly beat myself up over a 29/30. Literally got that on assignment a few days ago and keep thinking about it :( Need to do better next time...

One day I too hope to be that lady in PJ's :)

• Like 1

Don't beat yourself up. Many people that get really good grades do so because they feel like they're not good enough, but that's what we call a highly successful coping skill. And those of us in the majority of the population that aren't "type A" feel uncomfortable with lots of people. When my wife and I go to parties together we still joke with each other about how much we hate it. :unsure:

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I suppose I should be happy that even though it stresses me out to an extreme amount, at least it motivates me to do well in school. I just really really want to get into UVIC. And hopefully get some scholarships :) my parents put literally zero pressure on me school wise because they know I put enough on myself as it is. I bet I'd be the most awkward partygoer ever, my friend said she'd take me to one if I wanted, but being that I don't really like the "popular people", I would probably just go to take care of her, cut her off (it would be my pleasure, people shouldn't be drinking underage), and keep her from doing drugs if she is a little drunk and making bad choices (again, hate it when people do illegal stuff). I'd probably just retreat to a corner and go on NR :lol:

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

I was right, I did cry again (unfortunately at taekwondo). But I finally told my bestie some things that I've never told anyone, some things I've been keeping inside for 8 years and I feel so much better. I also finally figured out the root of most of my anxiety issues. I realized that I'm always worried about the way I'm walking and if people think I walk strange. It been getting steadily worse, sometimes just walking down the hall at school leaves me feeling like I can't breathe. And of course who planted the seed in my head about me walking wierdly? My best friends...they've bugged me about how I walk for a long time, I just now realized how much their comments have affected me.

I've always QT'd for 4 weeks, but after reading about some people doing it for only 3 I've decided to give it a shot.

I'm looking forward to the update!!! :)

You do Taekwondo? I do karate lol. What belt?

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

You do Taekwondo? I do karate lol. What belt?

I got my first degree black belt in July :). What belt are you? I think karate would be interesting, but we only have taekwondo in this tiny town, otherwise I'd probably do both.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

I got my first degree black belt in July :). What belt are you? I think karate would be interesting, but we only have taekwondo in this tiny town, otherwise I'd probably do both.

Got my senior shodan in September (first degree black belt) but I was a junior Nidan prior (junior second degree)

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

Congratulations! :)

And belated congrats to you. Just found out my new clown goby died. Just found him lying next to my chalice, dead. Idk how, but it was in the same cave as my purple firefish last night. Maybe aggression issues? Maybe a new crab killed it, but it's body was intact. Well off to school.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

And belated congrats to you. Just found out my new clown goby died. Just found him lying next to my chalice, dead. Idk how, but it was in the same cave as my purple firefish last night. Maybe aggression issues? Maybe a new crab killed it, but it's body was intact. Well off to school.

Thanks :). Bummer on the goby, I hate it when you can't figure out why something died :( Have you heard any clicking from your new rock? Could a mantis or pistol have hitchhiked in? School!? Wow, it's Sunday afternoon here still.

pappadumplingz

Thanks :). Bummer on the goby, I hate it when you can't figure out why something died :( Have you heard any clicking from your new rock? Could a mantis or pistol have hitchhiked in? School!? Wow, it's Sunday afternoon here still.

Yup. In third period right now. Aus time is quite a bit ahead of yours. I don't know about mantis or pistol, because then the firefish would be dead too.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Yup. In third period right now. Aus time is quite a bit ahead of yours. I don't know about mantis or pistol, because then the firefish would be dead too.

It's not even the same day of the week! Time zones are weird. Good point about the firefish, probably not either of those then. Maybe it had internal parasites?

pappadumplingz

It's not even the same day of the week! Time zones are weird. Good point about the firefish, probably not either of those then. Maybe it had internal parasites?

That's what Jase said. Probably the case. I don't think it is water quality. Even though I don't test anymore, all my corals and the firefish are fine, so I think it's just an isolated case for the moment.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I'm pretty sure the brown stringy stuff full of bubbles is Dino's :( I've been doing some reading on how to eliminate them, and I was hoping for some feedback on my plan:

Do an 8l wc today, suck out what I can and rinse as much sand as possible. Add more carbon and phosguard. Then not do any water changes for probably another 3 weeks, because I've read that wc's can increase Dino's. Do a 3 day full blackout, and dose 2ml of h2o2 each night. Keep lights on half the usual cycle for a week following the blackout. Continue manual removal and nightly peroxide dosing (upping dosage if needed). Do a large water change before I leave on vacation (November 10th) and hope for the best. Re evaluate the situation when I return.

The Dino's aren't super bad, but unsightly and they really irritate my gorgonians, and to a lesser extent leathers, nem and zoas. I really hope this kills it :)

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the brown stringy stuff full of bubbles is Dino's :( I've been doing some reading on how to eliminate them, and I was hoping for some feedback on my plan:

Do an 8l wc today, suck out what I can and rinse as much sand as possible. Add more carbon and phosguard. Then not do any water changes for probably another 3 weeks, because I've read that wc's can increase Dino's. Do a 3 day full blackout, and dose 2ml of h2o2 each night. Keep lights on half the usual cycle for a week following the blackout. Continue manual removal and nightly peroxide dosing (upping dosage if needed). Do a large water change before I leave on vacation (November 10th) and hope for the best. Re evaluate the situation when I return.

The Dino's aren't super bad, but unsightly and they really irritate my gorgonians, and to a lesser extent leathers, nem and zoas. I really hope this kills it :)

I have been reading the last 2 pages of your thread and I really like your tank. Being in high school can really be hard since there are always some kids looking for an excuse to ridicule others. Those folks always exist but you have more options once you get out of high school and life can get much better. Teeny had good advise, if you are doing what you know is right, don't worry about what anyone else thinks of you. That is easier said than done but it is very good advise.

O yeah, this looks like a good plan to me for attacking the dinos.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I have been reading the last 2 pages of your thread and I really like your tank. Being in high school can really be hard since there are always some kids looking for an excuse to ridicule others. Those folks always exist but you have more options once you get out of high school and life can get much better. Teeny had good advise, if you are doing what you know is right, don't worry about what anyone else thinks of you. That is easier said than done but it is very good advise.

O yeah, this looks like a good plan to me for attacking the dinos.

Thanks vlangel! I'm honestly really looking forward to getting out of the tiny town where everyone knows everyone's business, but until the I'm just going to focus on not caring about everyone else's opinions of me :) at least I'm pretty good at fading into the background when I want to.

The battle shall begin today then! Wc on the way, and I'll black out from today until Monday :)

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Did the water change, changed all my media (it's been a while), covered the tank in garbage bags and dosed peroxide. Everything is still doing ok after night one :)

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Night two has passed and the tank is still doing fine. When I peeked in yesterday I saw no Dino's, but I suppose they'd be free swimming in the dark? I hope the peroxide killed them all.

QT fish are still doing good, they have just under two weeks left before entry into the DT. Hopefully it continues to go smoothly.

So I've been thinking:

After the blackout, should I run the lights at full intensity for half the time? Or half intensity for the normal length of time? Does it make a difference?

Good luck fishfreak. I never dealt with dinos so I can't offer any input on turning the lights back on.

If you read a recent post of nano sapiens in Sk8n reefer's thread the Moai of the sea, he gives what I think is a good plan of attack for dinos.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

The tank looking good. I ended up deciding on full length of time and half intensity for the lights. Still dosing peroxide. I upped it to just over 2ml because I haven't seen any negative impacts. Photobucket hasn't been cooperating all weekend, but I do have some pics to post up. I found a small piece of leather that had floated away attached to the rock near the RFA. We'll see if it grows.

• Like 1

The tank looking good. I ended up deciding on full length of time and half intensity for the lights. Still dosing peroxide. I upped it to just over 2ml because I haven't seen any negative impacts. Photobucket hasn't been cooperating all weekend, but I do have some pics to post up. I found a small piece of leather that had floated away attached to the rock near the RFA. We'll see if it grows.

Glad to hear that what you chose for your light cycle worked along with peroxide.

My photobucket acct was acting wierd too.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Updates.

No sign of the Dino's so far. Lights are still at half intensity. I forgot to dose perxoide the last two nights, but I will tonight. Everything seems loads happier without all that nasty stuff growing on them.

Oddly enough the tank has been totally fine with less water changes. Maybe better even. The acan sure is puffy. I want moar!

I noticed another baby hammer head growing on my green one. So if you count those tiny pencil eraser sized ones, it has 8 heads. The purple/green one has 3 or 4.

The watermelon favia stung my RFA today :( nothing bad, but I'll have to move it. I was planning on doing that anyways. I might put it between a couple leathers and put the duncan where it is now. I ordered glue earlier this week, still waiting for it to arrive. That favia grows so quickly, I'm sure I'll have to frag it at some point.

The baby plates are still growing at a decent rate, a couple have surpassed 1cm diameter. I don't know when they'll start popping off, so I may keep the plate in a Tupperware from now on so that if they dettach they won't drift away.

The sponge has continued to grow between my zoas, I need to pluck some out again.

QT fish going strong, they've been in there two weeks today, I plan on putting them in the DT Thursday. Not quite three weeks but that day works best for me. I also want to see them settle in before I leave for vacation.

And on that note, I sure am nervous!!! I'll be gone from the night of the 10th to the afternoon of the 19th! Thankfully, we have an awesome house sitter. She's taking care of the cat, gecko and 6 fish tanks. I was worried she wouldn't want to help out again because last time my 5g fw crashed (the filter broke :( no fault on her part). I plan on leaving a detailed but fairly simple schedule, emergency instructions, have everything portioned and layed out and I'll definitely need updates. Maybe pics too.

And an early happy halloween to everyone! :) I'm about to have a movie marathon, picked up 6 paranormal activity movies, also have lights out, the conjuring and haunting in Connecticut 2! I love halloween!

• Like 2