Cultivated Reef

NYKnicks IM 20 Nuvo Fusion Build (ATI T5, MP10, Reef Angel, Tunze ATO)

nyknicks4412

Well I couldn't stay away...my life has been pretty hectic since starting my first tank in college and each time I make a go at it something seems to come up that forces me out. Usually it involves moving. I've decided to go the AIO route as a means to solve this little issue. A smaller AIO tank with minimal equipment should allow me to bring the tank with me if forced to move in the future! This will finally be the build I see through past 3 months. I am mainly writing this here for me as a reminder of my goals!

Enough with the rambling you are here for the build thread. I plan on giving brief reviews on most the equipment I have purchased as a resource for others. Some has a lot of info on it...others not so much. Everything has been purchased so I am currently eagerly awaiting the stream of boxes to flow in!

Tank: Innovative Marine 20 Gallon Nuvo Fusion

Stand: A small night stand dresser...praying it holds

Rock: BRS Reef Saver

Substrate: Barebottom

Lighting: ATI Sunpower 4x24 Watt T5 (3 x ATI Blue+, 1 x ATI Purple+)

Powerhead: Ecotech Votech MP10es

Return: Cobalt Maxi Jet 900 (possibly adding a second if turn over in sump area isn't what I want)

Heater: Ehiem Jager 75 Watt

ATO: Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152

Controller: Reef Angel Plus w/ Wireless Attachment

Skimmer: Innovative Marine AQUA Gadget Ghost Skimmer Desktop

Reactor: Innovative Marine MiniMax Desktop running BRS Lignite Carbon and BRS GFO

RODI: AirWaterIce Typhoon III 100 GPD 6 Stage (complete overkill but I got it used for a good deal lol)

Salt: Reef Crystals

Hope this thread can be helpful for some and feel free to chime in. I enjoy getting feedback and learning from everyone on these boards.

Controller: Reef Angel Plus w/ Wireless Attachment

Hope this thread can be helpful for some and feel free to chime in. I enjoy getting feedback and learning from everyone on these boards.

I am intrigued by this controller. As much as I love the idea of an Apex, I feel like for $240 I would be just getting a fancy thermometer.

I am intrigued by this controller. As much as I love the idea of an Apex, I feel like for $240 I would be just getting a fancy thermometer.

I will make sure to give it a solid review for you! I work as a software a developer so I will hopefully be able to put it through its paces. Looking forward to trying some cool things with automated water changes.

Updates to come boys and girls! Boxes should all arrive by Friday. This weeks going to drag. Maybe have water in this weekend? Who am I kidding it will definitely be all setup this weekend :happydance:

It is hard to explain the value of the temperature control alone. If your be ever had a heater fail( stay on of off) you'd know why. 240.00 is a small price to pay for the thousands most have in their tanks, not including time and work. My controller will control my ATO, interior stand lighting, heater, stand vent fans, and more. Worth every penny IMHO.

Excited to see this build!!!

It is hard to explain the value of the temperature control alone. If your be ever had a heater fail( stay on of off) you'd know why. 240.00 is a small price to pay for the thousands most have in their tanks, not including time and work. My controller will control my ATO, interior stand lighting, heater, stand vent fans, and more. Worth every penny IMHO.

Excited to see this build!!!

I did not mean to put down the controller. I understand the potential but with my current needs and lack of equipment, it's just not needed. Saying that, you can bet I will be buying one soon...like a few days. I just need to decide if I want to dip my toe in or go whole hog. B)

I did not mean to put down the controller. I understand the potential but with my current needs and lack of equipment, it's just not needed. Saying that, you can bet I will be buying one soon...like a few days. I just need to decide if I want to dip my toe in or go whole hog. B)

I have always used Reefkeeper Lite controllers, always loved them. I believe each brand has a learning curve, as my Apex interface is 100% different then my Digital Aquatics controllers. So, that being said, people tell me Apex is much superior in control interface, I havent done more then power my Apex up at this point to make sure it works, so the jury is still out on how much better it is or isn't. IMHO, get as much as you can afford, controllers are most worth the time and money when you utilize as many features as you can IMHO. Otherwise its like buying a Ferrari and never driving it, just sitting in it and starting the engine in you driveway :lol: , haha

I have used both Reefkeeper and Apex. Reefkeeper had some quality control issues when I used it and I found their product to be a bit glitchy when trying to do certain things. Apex is expensive but you buy it once and have it for life. It can go on any tank. Easy to use and customer support is excellent.

This time around I wanted to try something different. The Reef Angel was a bit cheaper and it is touted as being able to do much more than the Apex can if you have the ability to program it yourself. We will see this holds true.

One of the more valuable things I have found in nano tanks in terms of controlling and monitoring is seeing my PH levels in the tank rise and fall over the course of a day. I live in an apartment and was shocked at how much mine changed. I feel when you purchase a controller having the ability to monitor PH is a must. So at least dip your toes into that level.

Not getting wet this weekend...I bought the wrong salt lol. Dr. Foster and Smith groups IO and Reef Crystals under the same spot on their site. Clicked the wrong 200 gallon box to buy. Whoops! Setup should be in place at the least...

Don't think I forgot about this...haha lot of work this week and a ton of UPS boxes. Filling with water this weekend but here it is empty. There should be an ATO container that covers some of the cords on the left. Best I could do with where the tank was going.

812C2552-3C43-43B9-B7DE-1018961FFBA0_zps

Looks good. Following along. Have you thought about clearing the drawers out and placing the cords in there?

What are your stocking plans?

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived