Coral Vue Hydros

5 Gallon dwarf Seahorse Pico reef.

RozZy

Hi guys!

I've been into reefing for 3 years and I have a 72g BF reef. I can say that I'm an intermediate aquarist.

There's something I always wanted to have, and that's seahorses. In a pico tank.

I can't go above 5g, because of space restrictions in my apartment!

I have been reading up on it a little, that the temperature needs to be around 74 and low flow (But im not yet sure about how to create the perfect flow for them).

Is there anyone here who has a seahorse reef?

I was thinking of getting a LEDtric par 38's for the soft corals that don't sting the seahorses.

Is there a good "all in one" reef package? im thinking of putting 300 on it for the starter package and use LR and sand from my current aquarium.

I'm actually starting a 4 gallon but yes low flow is great for them as they can cruise around the tank with ease. Macro algae is important in their tank and be selective in your coral selection as these guys are sensitive to stings. Have fun!!!

Ok I've ordered the pico tank. I'm going with the JBJ 3 gallon kit. I'm also adding a aquaclear 70 to grow pods in (I don't know if thats a good idea?)

How many dwarf seahorses could I have? And will i be able to grow enough pods in the Aquaclear 70?

Alright so I ordered the 3 gallon Picotope that arrives tomorrow (Saturday). On top of it I ordered an Aquaclear 70 that I'm going to convert into a refugium. I also read on the seahorse tank site that flow is not an issue if you create sheltered areas for the seahorses and hitching posts, so I went ahead and added a Rio 50 power head to the order.

For lights I'm waiting for a 54W PAR 38 LED that I'm waiting for from Ebay.

I'm gonna make this one a beauty.

I was considering to buy the Pico Skim 2.0, they claim that it works on smaller aquariums (even 3g), because they use limestone to create smaller bubbles.

http://www.picoaquariums.com/pico-5g/141-pico-skim-20.html

What are you guys thought on it? And also, couldnt I just transfer Live Rock and water from my established 72g bowfront? Would that help the cycling go faster?

natalia_la_loca

I haven't kept dwarf seahorses, but what I've always heard is that it's a no-no to use live rock from established systems because of the potential to introduce hydroids and other pests that could injure or kill the horses or their fry. I think I recall reading that even amphipods will kill seahorse fry.

By the way, I would suggest that you visit Fusedjaw.com or set up an account at Seahorse.org if you haven't done already. I know there are people active on Seahorse.org who are currently keeping dwarfs (and there is a specific dwarf seahorse forum there), so you might get better and faster answers that way. Good luck, dwarf seahorses are really beautiful :) I would love to try keeping them someday, but I'm a little seahorse-d out.

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely join seahorse.org. I had prepared my fluval edge 12 gallon for dwarves, but was not able to get them in Canada at the last minute. You definitely need to be cautious with the liverock, I had very little liverock (just what my macroalgaes were attached to) and I still ended up with hydroids. I had to dose my entire tank with livestock dewormer to kill them off. This procedure kills almost all inverts and corals or any creature that consumes algae.

Seahorse.org is your best bet for getting info and everyone there is super helpful and knowledgeable, especially in the dwarf forum.

Hope this helps! :)

Archived