Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

20 Gallon Starter

righttirefire

Looks like a job well done on the cleaning.

For a syringe I use hypodermic needles - like the ones to give injections. You can buy them at the pharmacy counter for a few cents each. I usually get 5ml ones. I use them for all sorts of thngs - and the needle part comes off too if you need to use it for a thicker liquid or something. They handle boiling water and all sorts of solvents well (I use them to apply weld-on to acrylic too).

righttirefire

I used my red sea syringe. A cup of water in the microwave for 2:30. It was hot not boiling. But the Aptasia released and dropped into the bucket. More deep cleaning next weekend. I need to add a phosguard. I'm hoping 2 weeks I'll be going my transfer.

Well the way microwaves work I don't think water ever boils unless there's something in there with it.

I would suggest you pick up some extra syringes though - so much easier than using a teaspoon or something for dosing and adding things to your tank... You could also get the ones that you use for administering children's medicine orally. They have a blunt tip and you can get them pretty big too. I would reserve the red sea syringes only for testing so you don't get any contamination.

• Like 1
righttirefire

Apparently Cerith snails can't alway right themselves. 2015040295131506_zps86xwlqlv.jpg these are the pictures I get from my girlfriend on her lunch break

righttirefire

So. If anyone found my thread this morning. I believe I have zoa pox. My zoas were all open and looking good. But I did a peroxide dip and they look like shit.

20150404_172149_zpsuojzek3s.jpg

current FTS, the scape changed a little. The whole tank got a scrub, the fish mushrooms and torch are all back to normal. My snails are upset, bubble algea issues and my zoas because of dip... I did find my xenia under a rock attached. I'm getting a little frustrated. I've heard this is difficult. Between the gf upset, her son being a terror, and a messy tank I'm ready to sceam! Happy Saturday all

righttirefire

The cerith ended up getting himself righted. I had enough with all the "floaty" crap in my tank. Added another AC50 today, running at max flow, 200gph. I turned the refugium AC50 to minimum flow, est. 66 gph. It caused a rearrangement. The torch is on the bank wall between the filters. The nano 240gph is turned up a little and aimed at the center of my tank. Frag racks rearranged for glow.

20150410_152259_zpsqzuxble9.jpg

20 Long is at the LFS getting drilled. 2 weeks away from swap.

righttirefire

So either the girlfriend doesn't care, hasn't noticed, or thinks it my business, Irregardless she hasn't said anything about the second filter. At this moment I'm glad I got an AC50, because I think two would be better than AC110. The filter is running a sponge, I know, and Chemi-pure elite. The elite was added about 9 hours ago, filter about 18 hours ago. Still a fair amount of free flowing particles. I know my goby kicks up a lot of little particles. And the AC50 adds bubbles into the tank. If I get my long back this afternoon which is possible I could get it painted and silicone this weekend. Next weekend would the swap. If that doesn't happen I'll get if Thursday and next weekend will be prep time. And the following weekend will get the switch. And the sump build will start... PLUS: fed tax refund is in my account!

righttirefire

A little off topic and on topic. My tank is experiencing it's first black out... it's on the start of day 2 without light or obseravtion. Unfortunate circumstances have my girlfriend and I staying at my house so I'm about 45 miles from my tank. I assume it's doing fine. It typically goes all week with little more than a light daily feeding and about 10 hours of light... but tomorrow night I should be back. To do a water change and maintance. But not looking good to be around it again. So auto light timer will be added. Maybe auto feeder... :/

righttirefire

I'm waiting for midnight to set my timers. I'm going to try 10 hours display light 2 hour delay than 10 hour refugium/Chae to light, than 2 hours off... I've been working a 24 hour light on my chaeto. So trying something new. The light cycled for 8 hours on, 6 hours off, and 9 hours on. It's been crazy around here. But the lights out seemed to help my algae fight and my zoas all opened but 1... I think it's a total loss. :/ but time will tell... I got a new hammer coral. And my swap tank has been painted. Unions glued... water test next week. Swap friday, I hope

righttirefire

Well, it was a crazy weekend. I broke my 20 long, so my swap date has been pushed back a week. But here's a FTS

20150417_114841_zpsrksh4yku.jpg

I've been observing this little "thing" in my tank since the beginning. I always assumed it was dead. But I watched this little bivalve circle the live rock it was on and go back to the same place it started. Watched it for about 20 minutes. It's circled and the arrow points to its foot

20150416_201356_zpsqo1cfnpx.png

righttirefire

20150426_142039_zps3crpc0qi.jpg

Another week gone by. I couldn't resist the temptation of a beautiful Ric. Mushroom. It's hanging out in a cup attaching to a plug, it's "walking" around a lot. It is too big to tie down. It shrunk and expanded and walked out of the original tie

How did you break the 20l? Sorry I can't see pictures at the moment if you posted one.

As for the ric, I love those things, I would love to have several of them but they're so flippin' expensive where I live I don't really feel like taking the risk. As you know with my big frogspawn I'm currently very wary of spending too much on a single piece. I justified it for the frogspawn because it's going to be one of my main pieces.

righttirefire

Successful tank swap, added 2# more sand. New residents acclimating. A second cerith and nassarius. With some new variety, 2 nerite snails will round out my CUC. Also 4 new zoas/paly polyps.

righttirefire

My snails are "mentally handicap" 1 Nerite seems fine. The other "jumped" and flipped itself a couple times so I righted it. And my new nassarius is at the top of the glass. Couple days they'll settle in.

righttirefire

20150510_115719_zps6cuysccu.jpg

Happy Mother's Day FTS. Momma has the boy out so I'm bbq'n ribs and cleaning my tank. I never got the time to really play with my new mp10qd. Everything I change it my torch shrinks up. I'm on reef crest mode about 50% so until I get a day to play it it'll say there. I threw the filter sponge out of my ac50 into my refugium. I haven't seen any start to the cycle. I'm curious if the Arag-live sand is that good. I doubt the live rock is, but I know the sponge is well seeded. I'm thinking about trying my luck with a scarlet hermet...

righttirefire

Monday morning excitement... I'm driving to work Monday thinking about how awesome it was to be able to rearrange power cords, when it hit me. I shouldn't have had an open outlet. When it hits me... my display has been without heat... for hours like 12+. Momma is still asleep so I send her text, picture message, and detailed request to access the situation and corrective measures.

Tank was down to about 74 degrees so 2 degree cooler than normal. So as directed she unplugged the sump heater and plugged in the display heater.

She checked in on it during her lunch break. No issue. I checked it when I got home. 76 degrees no signs of issue and the sump with only the ehiem pump running is holding at 80 degrees....

sometimes it's better to be lucky

righttirefire

So. Nothing exciting. I'm just breaking rules. Tank clean. An anemone acclimating. I've been watching this little monster at the LFS for 3 weeks and couldn't handle it anymore. Since Thursday I've been in like 3 times a day watching this thing. It's bubbling up in the acclimation chamber. Honestly it's looking stressed but with nothing happening in the tank for a month. And nothing happening for at least another month it's time. Reading 0 ammonia, nitrites, and less than 5 ppm nitrates. Mg, Ca, and dKH all holding firm with weekly water changes. The sump is looking awesome. Finishing gluing Tuesday and next week the systems will be combined. Corals are looking great in sump. Pretty excited

righttirefire

20150516_183048_zpsj4npizgo.jpg

Nothing but the waiting game. Watching my new bubble tip, it's frustrating. I've been watching it for weeks and know it's stressed. But it looked so good during acclimation and overnight into the morning when the lights came on... so waiting game...

righttirefire

My BTA. looked good during acclimation. I tried to match light and flow from my LFS. Looked good over night. First day, I'm assuming too much light. Looked like hell after the lights came on. Few hours looked great, ate 2 mysis shrimp. Looked good over night. Got home last night, it squeezed through a hole and is big open and bubbly facing the back of the tank... PUNK! waited 48 hours and moved out of sight. Only time will tell

20150517_144053_zpsthxaurdi.jpg