Innovative Marine Aquariums

Skimmer with HOB or no?

ProtectDa2nd

New to the game so easy please!

Just Started my new Reef-Tank

Just purchased everything today didnt buy a starter kit because that's not me, i want to know what i get.

10g tank because i installed it into the wall. (only had 33'' to work with my tank is 20''s long)

Koralia circulation and wave pump (power head) rated 240 gph.

50 watt heater.

Sea clone 100 protein skimmer Rated up to 100g.

Therm blah blah you know. My question is the Filtration.

My question is and i did ask the chick at the local pet store. For my filtration is it ok to go ahead and just use my 10lbs of live rock, live sand and protien skimmer or do i also need to combine a HOB?

I know the skimmer is biological and the hob is more mechanical.. but

I dont have the room for a sump bc as stated before this is installed into my wall.

i have a list of other things i would like to be answered but im not going to jam this discussion. Any helpful tips will be greatly appreciated! I have done tons of reading on alot of this before i just went and spent a couple hundred and try to make it work. Money isnt really and issue but there is a reason why i only went with a 10g. 22 years young and this is something ive been waiting to try for a long time so ive saved up. Thanks alot for reading!

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

The skimmer isn't really biological (as that would involve the nitrogen cycle). A power filter can be mechanical by using filter floss or sponge, but it can also be chemical by using media like activated carbon, Phosguard, etc. While a power filter can be a biofilter, it's best to leave that to your live rock.

So do you need a HOB power filter? It's definitely not required, but it might be helpful. First it provides another source of flow, some surface agitation, and gives you space to run mechanical and chemical media as needed.

Thanks for the fast response!

So in other words it wouldn't hurt. I'm going to look into grabbing one. As for now water and sand was introduced so i'm trying to let everything settle down and run for at least 24 hours to make sure all my equipment is doing its job before i pick up my live rock.

Thanks again Seabass!

Cencalfishguy56

I did a AC50 hob with steves caddy really helps a lot keeping my params in check Id suggest it just a thought but Amazon has aquaclears cheap compared to the LFS I have seen or even petco for that matter lol

I used to run a A/C 70 on my 40 breeder but now I just run a skimmer and haven't had any issues with just running that for awhile now. Like Spongebob said it won't hurt it to run some media in there but it's not required if you have a good skimmer. With a good skimmer, good CUC (reefcleaners.org), and don't over feed and your tank should stay looking good!

Archived