Cultivated Reef

CUC for my new bc29 (now just my random questions)

fishfreak0114

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, but the eggs will hatch out after possibly a couple weeks, also I've read to keep calcium at the level of a reef tank for strong shells on the snail babies

fishfreak0114

Sure hope they do. I love raising things from baby to adult. Like guppies. Should the calcium in my salt mix be enough for them even though it's diluted?

Just dilute to around specific gravity 1.02 and you probably will be fine, I've just read of a few who have grown them in regular sea water, so my guess is that as long as larvae have salty water with good calcium they should be fine. As for food they usually are plankton eating, I'd recommend you get some good green water, also as they grow they go to settled algae eating so keep good growths of algae.

fishfreak0114

thanks. I'm ordering phyto today anyways for my tank so that is good. Not sure how much algae will grow in that tank, not much light in the basement. I do have algae wafers and nori though.

fishfreak0114

I got 3 cerith 5 blue leg hermits and the emerald crab. Not much, but im hoping the rest can come in soon.

fishfreak0114

Im so glad I got the emerald crab. Its so fun to watch. :D. It didnt even run to hide when I put itin, just started eating!

Careful with the crab, he could do something bad. If he does, be responsible and don't kill the crab if he does something bad, all my crabs live in a separate tank so they can't be bad.

fishfreak0114

I would never kill the crab. If it turns evil I will take him to the LFS. The owner has a saltwater aquarium.

I like the COWLR solution, Crabs Only With Live Rock. It is a fun crabby play ground, best of all no corals to be eaten, crabs like it.

fishfreak0114

That sounds awesome! ? Maybe one day I'll make one of those. Do you have any Pom Pom crabs? I'm thinking of getting 1 or 2.

No, 3 unidentified species and a gorilla crab I found myself in the Indian river estuary in Florida

I saved the one from becoming a fisherman's bait, and I feed him pond snails from my fresh water tank, I have to be thankful pond snails grow so quickly since I have quite a few pets I feed pond snails to

post-84861-0-45672500-1425423488_thumb.jpgpost-84861-0-12595400-1425423522_thumb.jpg here's a few pics, sorry for camera quality, tablet was made with a horrible camera

It used to be a dish detergent canister, but waste not want not, I washed it so the smell was gone and put my friends in there.

fishfreak0114

All my pics turn out blurry too. Yours are way clearer than mine. Does the tank have a filter or heater, or do they do just fine without it? What is the green stuff? It's a good idea to use the detention canister. Also, I named my emerald crab. Leonardo! :P

Tank has no equipment whatsoever, and these crabs dont really need it, they survived near freezing conditions quite happily, yet all the hermit crabs and most my cargo died. There was a battery failure in the trailer so it got cold. The crabs seem quite happy for now, and I finally have the really big one quite comfortable to eat in front of me, they are muscular little fellows lol. The green stuff is Ulva algae I found.

fishfreak0114

Ya crabs are pretty muscular. Mine looks like it has hulk arms. Do you know how to tell if an emerald is male or female?

If you take a look at the abdominal flap, you will see in females a quite wide flab in order to hold eggs, in males the flap is thinner since there are no eggs to grow for them

Archived