inTank Media Baskets

CUC for my new bc29 (now just my random questions)

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

They ate! I fed the clowns really really tiny pieces of sole soaked in garlic and they ate it! Not a whole lot but at least it was something. I will try again tomorrow. Yay! :D

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fishfreak0114

I think mine were dwarfs then. They weren't very big.

I made my own fish food today. Sole, clam, nori, brine eggs, phyto, dried mysis and bloodworms. It smelled terrible, like crappy rotten sushi

Lol I endure and go nose blind to so many horrid odors, power paste, rotting meat, chicken poop, but the one that gets me every time is the rank and stomach churning smell of a large dead snail, oh gosh its so gross.

fishfreak0114

Oh that sounds disgusting! Luckily I have not had to smell that one yet. I've gone nose blind to the fact that my entire house smells like garlic and fish. I'm freaking out. Today I got home and saw some cyano bacteria on my sand. What do I do?! I panicked and buried it. I figured since it was photosynthetic maybe I could smother it. Was that dumb? I hope I didn't make it worse. I don't think I can purchase chemiclean from anywhere local, probably only online. Have you ever had cyano?

I have green cyano in freshwater and saltwater, it covers everything but snails can do quite a bit to it and I find it tends to be mostly in snail free zones for me (which includes the first few millimetres of same bed). Test your phosphates and nitrates, they are good bio indicators of it. Also I hear they prefer low flow zones, which makes sense since I use no filters.

Also it has the resilience of a bacteria, you will always have ways of getting it back in your tank even in unnoticeable amounts

fishfreak0114

Is my tank too new for montiporas? What about a head of candy cane? Someone nearby is selling frags of rainbow montipora for $20 a frag and candy cane $5 a head.

fishfreak0114

I tested my parameters this morning. Phosphate was zero and nitrate was <5 (though I don't trust that test kit).

So I should be fine?

probably, its probably your systems response to new additions, I would personally recommend against adding new things until it is gone again, this cyano can be your friend to an extent telling when to not put more in the tank

Is my tank too new for montiporas? What about a head of candy cane? Someone nearby is selling frags of rainbow montipora for $20 a frag and candy cane $5 a head.

hope the sale lasts until the bloom settles down.

I tested my parameters this morning. Phosphate was zero and nitrate was <5 (though I don't trust that test kit).

the nitrates are probably it, just wait for your bacteria to work out this new food in the system
fishfreak0114

There was a bit of cyano again today, im hoping it doesnt return after my water change. I was thinking of trying to find some chemiclean as back up though. Have you ever used it?

There was a bit of cyano again today, im hoping it doesnt return after my water change. I was thinking of trying to find some chemiclean as back up though. Have you ever used it?

never have and probably never will use any water cleaners in my aquariums, it may take a week for the tank to be good for more additions. wait out the cyano their growth is like your tank telling you to be careful. It is a sign of free nutrients in the water
fishfreak0114

ya I try to avoid chemical treatment as much as possible. I use a lot of chemical filtration though. I just wanted the chemiclean as emergency backup up, like if I could not get rid of the cyano and it started to smother corals. I doubt that would happen though. I told my mom to scrub it off while im away if any appears. It seems to grow really quick. Hopefully with a water change and less feeding now tahat the clowns eat it will disappear on its own.

fishfreak0114

Whats dinoflagellates? Is it the equivalent of the plague dor fish tanks? In freshwater the lague is definetely gill flukes.

Most of them are harmless and good but a few make what they call red tides, blooms of the little creatures, those ones can be very toxic, one food illness they can cause humans is ciguatera, they also can kill fish and some invertebrates, those are very bad to have in your tank.

Archived