Innovative Marine Aquariums

Making a 220-240VAC Battery Backup

Sailfish

Hey!

For my next setup I would like to try out the new Maxspect Gyre XF130 circulation pump. The sad thing is that it has no 12VDC input for connecting to an emergency battery backup. This is something I have grown very fond of with my MP10s. First, I thought that I might run the Gyre together with a MP10 with battery backup, so that in case of a power outage the MP10 would continue to circulate the water.

But then, since I would like to keep the amount of visible equipment in the tank as low as possible (i.e. only the Gyre pump), I thought about making a 220-240VAC Battery Backup using a 12VDC-240VAC (modified sine wave) inverter.

Will this circuit work? :)

240V-battery-backup_zps459108bc.png

V1: 220-240VAC (wall outlet)
V2: 12VDC (car battery)
Inv1: 12VDC-240V (modified sine wave) inverter
RY1: Relay DPDT

M1: Maxspect Gyre XF130

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

For my next setup I would like to try out the new Maxspect Gyre XF130 circulation pump. The sad thing is that it has no 12VDC input for connecting to an emergency battery backup. This is something I have grown very fond of with my MP10s. First, I thought that I might run the Gyre together with a MP10 with battery backup, so that in case of a power outage the MP10 would continue to circulate the water.

But then, since I would like to keep the amount of visible equipment in the tank as low as possible (i.e. only the Gyre pump), I thought about making a 220-240VAC Battery Backup using a 12VDC-240VAC (modified sine wave) inverter.

Will this circuit work? :)

240V-battery-backup_zps459108bc.png

V1: 220-240VAC (wall outlet)

V2: 12VDC (car battery)

Inv1: 12VDC-240V (modified sine wave) inverter

RY1: Relay DPDT

M1: Maxspect Gyre XF130

I'd use a 3p2t switch instead and use the third pole to remove the 12V power from the inverter when not needed.. Otherwise, the inverter is always on (with no load). The inverter inefficiencies will drain your battery so that it won't be available when you need it.

Why bother with the inverter? The pump itself runs on 24v DC. Just wire two batteries in series and use the relay to switch power from the batteries to the power supply as needed. Diodes between the relay and each power source would be a good idea so you aren't back feeding one or the other.

Why bother with the inverter? The pump itself runs on 24v DC. Just wire two batteries in series and use the relay to switch power from the batteries to the power supply as needed. Diodes between the relay and each power source would be a good idea so you aren't back feeding one or the other.

That would sure remove any possible fire hazard with 220VAC work and also avoid any inefficiency of the inverter. :) Then it is only to fit two car batteries in the stand :lol:

Does it have to be car batteries? Motorcycle batteries are smaller. Any 12v lead acid battery would work.

Didn't think of that :P

Do you have any idea how motorcycle batteries go price wise, compared to car batteries?

$/Ah kinda thing?

Didn't think of that :P

Do you have any idea how motorcycle batteries go price wise, compared to car batteries?

$/Ah kinda thing?

In the states, EXIT signs in buildings have 12v batteries in them to illuminate the sign during power outages, also 12v children's ride on toys have good batteries for this type of thing. Often times with a nice connector

Archived