Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

low temperature salt water storage

NorthGaHillbilly

NorthGaHillbilly

I've got my RO setup in the back room of the garage dumping into one brute for RO storage, and then have another below for a mixing station. Problem is, in the winter this back room gets down to the mid 50s, so even with a decent sized heater I'm not going to be keeping the water but in the mid 60s

Would there be any problems with having 20 gallons of SW Churning away, but only at 60 some odd degrees?

reefernanoman

I've got my RO setup in the back room of the garage dumping into one brute for RO storage, and then have another below for a mixing station. Problem is, in the winter this back room gets down to the mid 50s, so even with a decent sized heater I'm not going to be keeping the water but in the mid 60s

Would there be any problems with having 20 gallons of SW Churning away, but only at 60 some odd degrees?

I guess it depends on the salt(the only thing that I know of). I just bought RSCP and it is not recommended to be mixed for more than 1 hr?, but I guess it's not even related to temperature is it?

NorthGaHillbilly

I guess it depends on the salt(the only thing that I know of). I just bought RSCP and it is not recommended to be mixed for more than 1 hr?, but I guess it's not even related to temperature is it?

I've read that in relation to several salts, but have never gotten an explication why. if it's circulating I can't understand why it's any different than if it's in a tank

I don't see it being an issue. I think the heater for the most part is to help dissolve the salt, same way it's easier to dissolve sugar in hot coffee opposed to cold tea or ice coffee. I know though some salt mixes (red sea) recommend mixing at room temp but as far as storing it, I wouldn't worry about it. As mentioned, might want to bring it to temp before adding it.

My brutes are out in my unconditioned storage and I've never experienced issues with temps. It's harder in the summer when the water is 105 than winter at 40-50

Swing2Harmony

I've read that in relation to several salts, but have never gotten an explication why. if it's circulating I can't understand why it's any different than if it's in a tank

Because of elevated levels of alkalinity and calcium they probalby want you to use it asap and mix it with tank water. They assume that your tank won't be running these high numbers as the salt. RSCP is really desinged for people who don't want to dose any elements.

Archived