SaltCritters.com

NanoBox powered Mr Aqua 13.3 gal Bow front (Updated 5/2)

aviator300

As you may know if you have recently followed my thread entitled "Spooky Mantis Mountain Re-injured left knee" That i had surgery to replace both knees just before Christmas and then fractured my left kneecap about 3 weeks ago.of

I'm still unsure how this all will end but i'm sick and tired of sitting around all day in pain and feeling sorry for myself so i'm going to start another build and hope my knees will not hinder me too much from doing the required "legwork" :haha:.

I wanted something small enough that i could carry the tank myself and not have to worry about more than about a one or two gal weekly water change. I didn't want to go as small as a Picotope, etc so went looking for something in the 5 to 10 gallon range. I have always been impressed with Mr Aqua tanks and also wanted just a glass box and not an AIO (For the same amount of gallons, glass box's offer a larger display area).

I went looking at my LFS and settled on a Mr Aqua 7.5 gal Bow front. the joints were nearly flawless and the beveling of the top front glass pane really impressed me. The front glass is only mildly bent which doesn't seem to cause any distortion and the corner joints are beveled and joined rather than severely bending the glass like on the Nuvo line of tanks from IM.

Here are the details that i'm starting with but they can always change of course.

Equipment. UPDATED 4/29/15

1. Mr Aqua 13.3 gal Bow-front tank. 24 x 11.4 x 11.4 approx

2. AC 50 + 70 (undecided) with In Tank Media basket (Chemi-Pure Blue + De-Nitrate + Floss + Chaeto)

3. RIO 180 flow pump

4. Hydor 50 watt heater with Finnex max 300 controller.

5. PicO Aquariums 2.0 protein skimmer

Lighting.

NanoBox Duo with Storm controller (by request) with hanging kit.

Dymax Robot LED (fuge light)

Aquascape.

1. 8 lbs BRS Reef Saver rock. (fully cycled with Coraline growth and corals glued on)

2. 1/2 to 3/4" deep bed of dry Aragonite sand.

3. Back of tank painted with Krylon "Fusion" spray paint in Gloss black. and hanging kit.

At present----Coral Compulsion Par 30 18K times 2

Livestock.

(CORALS)

Misc Zoanthids and Palys

Torch coral

Green Hammer

Florida Ricordia X2

GSP

Green Birdsnest

Red Montipora caps

(INVERTS)

Standard hermit-less CUC

Multiple mini hitchiker Brittle Stars

Porcelain Crab (Cleopatra)

(FISH)

False percula (Clownfish) "Nemo" Boy, what an original name.

Yellow tail Damsel :huh:

Sorry about the crappy quality of the pics and know that i really wish i had something other than this cell phone cam that i don't even know how to use properly.

JUST GOT HOME FROM THE LFS YESTERDAY WITH THIS

116e8c18-4aa8-4c2f-8744-80b3a655753c_zps

THE BLUE IS A TRUE NAVY BUT LOOKS LIGHTER IN THE PIC.

bbb94982-bd3a-4d85-b89a-b53b290c33f7_zps

VERY POOR PIC OF 17.1 GAL TANK THAT HAS BEEN HOUSING ALL LIVESTOCK AND CORALS.

4180cb61-f73b-4b65-8835-08bc17c1a396_zps

Very nice, I like the Mr. Aqua bowfront tanks so this should be sweet. Even better that it's getting a Nanobox.

I know that a Tide probably would have done the job on a 7.5 gal tank but the tank is 18" long and besides, the Duo can still be used if i decide to go to a bigger tank in the future.

Nice start looking forward to seeing more pics this weekend.

I'm looking forward to taking more pics but not necessarily ones like this which depicts my very favorite part of building a tank LIKE NOT. (see if you can guess what i'm doing?)

92128afa-73ea-4aab-afd9-8e932461e64f_zps

I'm trying to finish doing the tank transfer thing this weekend so busy day tomorrow.

Question. I've seen the Eheim model 350 mini surface skimmers in action on nano tanks without sumps or overflow boxes and am impressed by their effectiveness on small tanks. I've seen two slightly different shapes of them but with the same model number (350). I'm wondering if one shape is the original and the other is an updated version or what. Does anyone have any idea why?

I got the tank up and running over the weekend and yesterday. It should have been a 6 hr job but because of my slowness since my knee issues it took the better part of 3 days.

I first took half the water out of the donor tank (Mr Aqua 17,1) and filled a 5 gal bucket. I then took coral, fish, inverts and rock work from the donor tank and put it all in the bucket along with a heater and flow pump. Everything was fine in there for the couple days it took me to prepare the new 7.5 gal.

The new tank was previously painted and leak tested and i placed it on the same stand that the old tank had been on. The sand bed went in next, followed by the aqua scape (with many corals already glued in place) and the rest of the corals. I still haven't decided where to mount several of the corals so "to the sand bed with them" for now. I still haven't ordered a new (smaller) heater and controler yet so i'm temporarily using an old Fluval 100W model M. It's very long and not submersible but has kept water temps within 0.3 degrees F in different tanks since i've had it for almost 2 years.

I decided on the AC 50 filter with In Tank Media Basket and will supplement flow with a Hydor Koralia Nano 240 G/hr pump.

Things left to do.

1. Order NanoBox Duo as soon as taxes come (in a day or two i hope)

2. Build Light stand with PVC (would like bent pipe stand but dont want to pay 40.00 for pipe bender).

3. Purchase and install "Eheim" model 350 surface skimmer.

4. Bag and add Chemi pure blue and Seachem Denitrate to media basket.

5. Buy much more coral and just keep on going.

I took a couple pics today after the tank was up and running.

Mr Aqua 7.5 Gal Bow front . DAY 1

133d2de5-a7f9-4e2a-abe7-2a0105976ad2_zps

fe1fd72c-e876-4e60-86ea-63adb17e97ee_zps

I have a couple questions i need help on.

1. I asked a few days ago but have received no replies about the difference between the 2 different designs of the Eheim

model 350 surface skimmer.

2. I have been doing reef tanks for only a little over a year now and have never had any kind of organized system for feeding my Corals.

I do throw in some Rods coral food along with Mysis, Kent microvert, Seachem Reef plus and a pinch of Two Little Fishes Zoplan once

a week but i keep reading about Reef Chili, Reef Roids, and other organized feedings schedules. Could you guys And gals forward

a feeding schedule that has been successful to you.

Talk to everyone later.

Beautiful setup my good sir and or reptile humanoid I wish many years of tank life in front of you.

I'm cant say I know too much about scheduling my feeding tho I do try to feed everything every other day....a few things I have taken to feeding before the lights come on so they can be open for my viewing pleasure. I actually spot feed everything now with a medical syringe...one of those that the needle twists off, I take my silversides, mysis, etc and grind it up in a mortar and pestle so it passes easily thru it.

Bad news, (those 2 words about sums up my life right now)

Ever since i've been in this hobby (or should i say obsession), i've tried to scrape up the funds to do it right with good equipment, etc. I have seen tank after tank using the best lighting, the best skimmers, the best ATO's, and the best everything along with people spending hundreds (and more) on beautiful coral. I've followed all the TOTMs and other builds and was finally going to get my chance.

I was all ready to order NanoBox lighting, Tunze 3155 ATO, Pico Aquariums 2.0 skimmer, an actual controller for my heater, And Corals (Yes top quality Corals), along with an MP10.. And as icing on the tank, i was going to purchase an actual quality camera so i could share my new tank with all you guys......AND THEN THE BAD NEWS STRUCK

My wife and i are getting good tax refunds this year and because she needs a car in the worst way, we decided she would get the federal and i would get an unusually large state refund. I just found out today that all of my state refund 2000+ dollars had been intercepted by a creditor to cover a debt i was never advised of.

I'm pretty disappointed right now and embarrassed that i almost asked Dave to start my build while waiting for the return.. I guess i need to get over this and move on but i'm on a fixed income and saw this as a real chance to get some quality gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no tax return yet so no new lighting. Currently using 2 Coral compulsion PAR 30s 18k and they do OK but wanted to upgrade other equipt also. Should hear something on tax returns by the end of this week and then i will spend money Haha.

I've been picking up a frag here and there like some Montipora cap that i glued to the back wall and some kind of small purple Zoa Colony.

I also installed an Eheim 350 surface skimmer that keeps the surface absolutely free of scum and debris. Here are some pics i took yesterday.

March 1st 2015

bd950bec-23ee-470b-b673-51cfbd2efb82_zps

4448d9fd-9b5c-4340-b15e-856b6304a64a_zps

I hope you keep on progressing through your rehabilitation. Hopefully setting up this new tank will get your mind off the pain and your body will allow you to build. It looks great so far

I do have a question for you, your profile name is aviator300. Do you have any relationship with the aviation world? If so I'm interested in hearing about it. Thanks

OK..Finally got a partial State return and purchased a Maxspect Nano Razor 16K from one of our good members on the Hardware classified forum. I wanted a Nano Box Duo but couldn't pass up the deal i got on the Razor. Anyway, i'm excited to hang a "real light" over this tank.

Next on the horizon will be one of the new MP10 quiet drives when they are available.

I hope you keep on progressing through your rehabilitation. Hopefully setting up this new tank will get your mind off the pain and your body will allow you to build. It looks great so far

I do have a question for you, your profile name is aviator300. Do you have any relationship with the aviation world? If so I'm interested in hearing about it. Thanks

In my younger years (early 1970s to 1990s) I flew IAC Advanced class aerobatic competition leading up to my purchase of an

EXTRA 300S unlimited class aircraft (thats my beauty in the photo taken over Prague in the Czech Republic during an aerobatic competition.)

I haven't flown for about 15 years though.

20140304_161350_zps6170f6d4.jpg

Oh wow thanks for the sweet picture. Was that just a hobby for you?

Right now I am working on my instrument rating studying to take the written exam. I have a couple of hours logged and I have flown some RNAV apprached, VOR backdoor, and a few holding patterns. I got my private the end of last year with goals to fly commercially.

What licenses and ratings did you have to get to fly aerobatics

In my younger years (early 1970s to 1990s) I flew IAC Advanced class aerobatic competition leading up to my purchase of an

EXTRA 300S unlimited class aircraft (thats my beauty in the photo taken over Prague in the Czech Republic during an aerobatic competition.)

I haven't flown for about 15 years though.

20140304_161350_zps6170f6d4.jpg

Oh wow thanks for the sweet picture. She is definitely a gorgeous plane. Was that just a hobby for you?
Right now I am working on my instrument rating studying to take the written exam. I have a couple of hours logged for IFR and I have flown some RNAV, and VOR backcourse approaches, and a few holding patterns. I got my private the end of last year with goals to fly commercially.
What licenses and ratings did you have to get to fly aerobatics?

Only needed private but i had Private, instrument, commercial. I started flying for fun when i was 16yrs old and got my private ticket as well as pursued beginning, intermediate, and advanced aerobatic courses at "Rhodel Aviation" in Phx AZ. My instructor was a guy named "Bobby Bishop" who later was the pilot of the "Coors Silver bullet" billed as the worlds smallest jet (google it). Bobby got me involved in world class aerobatics with the IAC (International Aerobatic club) and myself and 2 other pilots bought the Extra 300S.

To finish up. Back then the IAC members were classified by the difficulty of the aerobatic sequences they were able to fly.

Example. Sportsman sequence, Advanced sequence, and Unlimited sequence. I was never able to place in the top 5 at any competition i entered while flying the Unlimited sequence and could only place well (and win contests) flying the advanced sequence. Hence my Aerobatic career was not very profitable and basically just for the thrill of it.

I apologize to all you good reefers out there for bringing this off topic post in here but i got carried away. So, my good friend Normang, if we want to talk flying lets do it via PM

I talked to "FlowerMama" today about Rock Flower Anemones. I've been thinking of adding one (at least) to create a little more variety to the tank and because she has many beautiful specimens in her tanks.

She steered me towards "VIP Reefs" and i ordered this one. It should go out Monday and will arrive Tuesday. In the meantime, i'll be reading all i can about their care and acclimation. There is a thread on RFAs in the "invertebrate" forum that i'll be referring to for more info but any and all suggestions are welcomed. I'll post pics (of the real thing) after i get it settled in.

IMG_0352__38774.1424990266.220.220.jpg?c

Oh boy, It's coming soon. After reading Gena, Myra, and FlowerMamas threads, ordering only one seems a little anemic. But i guess it all starts with the 1st one HUH?

To
  • me
Hi and thanks for your order!

Would you like this order shipped out tomorrow for Tuesday delivery?

Thanks

Frank Aguilar
VIP Reef
16300 SW 137 Avenue #110
Miami, Florida 33177
www.vipreef.com
Facebook.com/vipreefaquariums

QUESTION....Do i need to light acclimate my RFA after adding it to the tank?

Well. Annie the Anemone finally got here and i took these pics about an hour after putting her in the tank. About 24hrs after i took these pics she wedged herself between the rock and the glass in the left rear corner of the tank and remains there today (2 days later).

5dd1d518-516d-41c2-bc98-9fab7c253709_zps

00c252ce-00cf-4d69-86d2-5cc44ebbe7f3_zps

I thought i'd do an FTS of the tank and light stand to put things in perspective a little better. I originally wanted to build a single bar stand out of pipe conduit but couldn't find a pipe bender to borrow and wasn't about to pay 49.95 to purchase one locally. Instead, i built a stand out of PVC pipe which works great but stands out visually a little more than i like.

I also installed a PicO Aquariums 2.0 Protein skimmer which is pulling out dark tea colored skimate. I'm sure the liquid will get thicker and darker as the skimmer breaks in.

Annie the RFA is still scrunched up in the far left rear corner of the tank between the rock and the glass but i sure hope she decides to come out soon and find a more visually appealing spot...

93a26b81-35d5-4e5b-b95e-65791db7c9c8_zps

Narrowly averted a tragedy this morning. I was mounting a frag in the tank when "Nemo" yep, my Clownfish swam over to my hand and gave me his usual love bite. For some reason it startled me today and i jerked my hand away knocking poor Nemo up and over the side of the tank for a session of "carpet surfing". Well, as it so often happens, Nemo landed on the floor behind the tank and its stand up against a wall. Because of my recent knee issues i wasn't able to get back there to rescue him and no one else was home. I was about to give up and accept the inevitable then i got an idea..I hobbled to the broom closet, grabbed a broom, and swept Nemo out from behind the tank by going underneath the stand. I was then able to pick him up and place him gently back into the tank where he started swimming as usual.

Even though Nemo was out of water for over 2 minutes, he doesn't show any ill effects from the experience but i will keep an eye on him for a day or two. What a scare !!!

20140912_172622_zpse19196f3.jpg

That is a very pretty RFA!! I love mine!

Glad Nemo made it back form his "adventure" and safely into the tank!

Thanks for your concern over Nemo, It was a scare..As far as the RFA goes, almost as soon as i put it in the tank in a prominent viewing spot up front, while my back was turned she decided to move way back in the left rear corner of the rockwork and scrunch herself up almost out of sight. I've been told to just leave her alone and she will eventually come back out but i hope she decides to do that sometime during my lifetime Haha.

Thanks for your concern over Nemo, It was a scare..As far as the RFA goes, almost as soon as i put it in the tank in a prominent viewing spot up front, while my back was turned she decided to move way back in the left rear corner of the rockwork and scrunch herself up almost out of sight. I've been told to just leave her alone and she will eventually come back out but i hope she decides to do that sometime during my lifetime Haha.

Just be careful. As discussed in the RFA thread (I think) there is a possibility of feeding too much. If you can still reach her, feed only 1-2 times per week. Otherwise, she'll come back out when she's looking for food!!

Archived