Coral Vue Hydros

monkdaily's mr. aqua 17.1g New SPS pack!

monkdaily

I woke up today like Billy Madison knowing it wasn't nudie magazine day but I felt the exact same way. NEW AQUARIUM TANK DAY!! NEW AQUARIUM TANK DAY!! I've had my eye on an innovative marine nuvo 16 for quite a while. It's just such a sleek looking tank to me. However after reading all the stories of it cracking. I went with a Mr Aqua 17.1g. My plan is to convert it into an AIO based on the nuvo but with a slightly different sump design. My current 5.5g has been running fine and I haven't been doing much to it but I did plan ahead and got much larger equipment than I needed for the 5.5. A 100w heater, an AI Sol blue, and a aqualife 115 skimmer. I have Marc from Melevs Reef locally here in DFW building my false wall. And so much egg crate I can build media racks till the sun burns out. So once my wall is installed and my return pump is purchased the transfer will begin. So on to the pictures.

The box scared me quite a bit when it arrived. Even the UPS guy knocked first because he wanted to make sure I was here before he hauled it to the door.

20150213_132410.jpg

Marine depots packing was top notch

20150213_132724.jpg

20150213_133509.jpg

Preparing for the takeover!!

20150213_134848.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool pics...I'm going the opposite way from you..I'm about to start a build thread going from a Mr Aqua 17.1 just like yours to a Mr Aqua 7.5 bow front. I had knee surgery with complications recently and the larger tank has been just too hard to keep up with..

I'm not sure what i'm going to title my thread yet but I'll follow yours if you'll follow mine...BTW, i like your PVC light stand, I built one just like it already for my 7.5.

Sorry to hear that man. I'm pretty impressed with the Mr. Aqua so far the beveled low iron glass looks good and the seams look spot on too. I really wanted a cube but I live in an apartment and only had so much run so this was best bang for the buck. That's the same reason for the pvc light rig. I wish I could build something nicer but it works is cost effective and I can put the money back in livestock ?

So I mocked up my false wall for you guys to check out.

20150213_190724.jpg

No bananas for scale so here is the next best thing for actual display area.

20150213_190904.jpg

20150213_190924.jpg

And this is behind the wall. From left to right media basket, mini basket fuge or GFO reactor, the return, bubble catcher, skimmer another media basket.

20150213_191014.jpg

Sorry to hear that man. I'm pretty impressed with the Mr. Aqua so far the beveled low iron glass looks good and the seams look spot on too. I really wanted a cube but I live in an apartment and only had so much run so this was best bang for the buck. That's the same reason for the pvc light rig. I wish I could build something nicer but it works is cost effective and I can put the money back in livestock

This is DIY instructions by resident light maker "Dave Fason" of NanoBox for building a sleek light hanger for us apartment dwellers.

I would have gone this route in a minute if i didn't have to buy a pipe bender for 40.00. I also didn't know anyone to borrow it from either.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350540-how-to-build-a-light

Your sump area design looks great and for the record, I prefer rectangles over cubes because for the same water volume, the fish have more room to swim before turning around and you also have more up-front viewing room but that's just my preference.

This is DIY instructions by resident light maker "Dave Fason" of NanoBox for building a sleek light hanger for us apartment dwellers.

I would have gone this route in a minute if i didn't have to buy a pipe bender for 40.00. I also didn't know anyone to borrow it from either.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350540-how-to-build-a-light

Your sump area design looks great and for the record, I prefer rectangles over cubes because for the same water volume, the fish have more room to swim before turning around and you also have more up-front viewing room but that's just my preference.

I'm in the same boat with the bender and I don't have a stand. So it. Is going on a counter so absolutely no drilling. When I get a stand I'm building that thought

What does it leave your display at?

By my calculations with the cardboard mock its between 10.5 and 11 gallons

Sumps looking good! How wide are you making it? Nice extra baffle after the skimmer ?

Right now I have it at 3.75" which is plenty of room for my hand to clean and do maintenance when needed. I could probably go to 3.25" or 3.5" and add a little extra room to the display But I want to make sure I have enough room for either a sicce 2.0 or a rio+ 1700. I have an aquaticlife 115 in my 5.5g. Its great but I could never get the micro bubbles to stop and ended up putting it in my aquaclear 70. So the extra baffle was an absolute necessity. Thanks for the inspiration boss!! ?

I meet with the acrylic guy tomorrow. He has my original plans to mimic the IM nuvo 16 but I have been working a 2nd option. Number two would be more of a peninsula style. This will be going on my bar And will be a room divider the only thing I don't like about this option is that it has less options for filtration and will require a powerhead on the other side. I meet at 6pm so what are yalls opinions?

20150216_004251.jpg

20150216_004302.jpg

20150216_004434.jpg

20150216_004620.jpg

I have the same 3.75" measured and I does give me about 2 extra gallons compared to the previous idea. And the cadlights skimmer does looks like a beast I just wish it had a bit of a lower profile look Like my aquatic life 115

I think I'm going with the peninsula style. I was trying to stay away from a powerhead but think I'm going with a smaller return pump and a rw-4 on the opposite wall.

And I can always put some rubble rock and a GFO reactor (if needed) in the return chamber. I'll just have to go sans chaeto compared to the other design

I appreciate it man. I am meeting with the acrylic guy today at 630 and hopefully I can get it wet this weekend. I'm stoked on the peninsula idea it gives me about 4.5 more gallons of display. ?

Well I just got back from the acrylic guys house. The meeting went very well and he agreed the peninsula design was the winner. He said he has a ton work to do before reefapalooza and I may not get my wall till the 27th. No biggie this guy's world is worth the wait

Just had an idea about mounting problem and wanted to run it by you knowledgeable folks. I live in an apartment so as you know that means absolutely no drilling for a mount. Currently I have the old DIY PVC mount but with this new upgrade I really want a way sleeker look. So how's this for genius?...... Two AI Nano mounting arms one for each side of the sol mounted to the side of the tank like the nano? Ideas? Would it work? Has it been done before?

Archived