ReefCleaners.org

Fluval Spec V Stocking Ideas

llama roadkill

llama roadkill

Hey everyone,

I'm starting up a new Fluval Spec V reef as referred to be the title. Unlike my last tank (:P) I am actively working on it and plan to have live rock in by Sunday/Monday. I'm stumped on what to stock it with, and I know that the absolute max amount of fish I can have is 2, and that's pushing it. What I know I want in the tank are:

A sand-dwelling goby (Randall's, Hi-Fin, etc.)

1 or 2 Harlequin Shrimp

Questions

1. What else could be added here?

2. Would a pistol shrimp get along with the harlequins?

3. Would a skunk cleaner shrimp be okay with pistol/harlequins?

4. Pretty much everyone that has a Fluval reef video on YouTube has a clownfish in it. I assume that this isn't okay?

Sorry I'm making this, I just want to be sure I'll be adding the right organisms to my tank. Thanks a ton in advance,

Jacob

Questions

A free swimming goby is really the only other fish you can add for the long term. There are some cool ones. Check out the yellow clown goby or green clown goby. Also there is one called the war paint clown goby that is very cool looking. If you plan to upgrade to a bigger tank as the fish grows than you can get away with other options like damsels, wrasse or even a small clown. Keep in mind how small the tank is and make sure the fish is very small as well.

Im not sure but I would assume they would not get along. Pistol shrimp are not super aggressive but can be if something messes with their burrow or is in their way. I don't know much about them being together but I would advise against it. Not worth the risk.

Again, I don't know much about harlequins or their temperament but as far as the pistol shrimp I would again say no to the skunk cleaner. This is simply due to the fact that the tank is so darn small. In a bigger tank I am sure that they would be fine as they wouldn't run into each other as much but since it is smaller they may fight for space and I can't imagine it ending well.

4. Pretty much everyone that has a Fluval reef video on YouTube has a clownfish in it. I assume that this isn't okay?

Again with the longterm or short-term thing. I think that it is fine to keep clownfish in a 5 gallon.... for a certain amount of time. When they are young and small they will do fine in the tank as long as you can keep up with the water changes. Clownfish have a large bioload. But as the clownfish gets bigger it will need to be moved to at least a 20 gallon.

I might take some flak for this... But.

I would add the following to a Spec V:

Fish:

1x Purple Firefish

1x Tanaka's Pygmy possum wrasse

Cleaner shrimp - you won't see a harlequin that much and feeding is a pain IMO. Cleaner shrimp is way more fun, it'll clean your hand, eat from your hand and all that.

If you must have the pistol/goby combo, then I'd go with a Yellow watchman goby and a Tiger pistol, and a small fish like one of the ones above.

llama roadkill

Questions

A free swimming goby is really the only other fish you can add for the long term. There are some cool ones. Check out the yellow clown goby or green clown goby. Also there is one called the war paint clown goby that is very cool looking. If you plan to upgrade to a bigger tank as the fish grows than you can get away with other options like damsels, wrasse or even a small clown. Keep in mind how small the tank is and make sure the fish is very small as well.

Im not sure but I would assume they would not get along. Pistol shrimp are not super aggressive but can be if something messes with their burrow or is in their way. I don't know much about them being together but I would advise against it. Not worth the risk.

Again, I don't know much about harlequins or their temperament but as far as the pistol shrimp I would again say no to the skunk cleaner. This is simply due to the fact that the tank is so darn small. In a bigger tank I am sure that they would be fine as they wouldn't run into each other as much but since it is smaller they may fight for space and I can't imagine it ending well.

Again with the longterm or short-term thing. I think that it is fine to keep clownfish in a 5 gallon.... for a certain amount of time. When they are young and small they will do fine in the tank as long as you can keep up with the water changes. Clownfish have a large bioload. But as the clownfish gets bigger it will need to be moved to at least a 20 gallon.

I was thinking of adding a clown goby, and the one you mentioned was one of my favorites. Would a firefish work instead, or is the tank too small?

If I get a sand dweller, I'll want a pistol as well. So either I'll get a pistol or a skunk. I'll do some more research.

I won't do a clown then. I'd rather have a fish that could live in the tank for its whole life. Thanks for the help!

I might take some flak for this... But.

I would add the following to a Spec V:

Fish:

1x Purple Firefish

1x Tanaka's Pygmy possum wrasse

Cleaner shrimp - you won't see a harlequin that much and feeding is a pain IMO. Cleaner shrimp is way more fun, it'll clean your hand, eat from your hand and all that.

If you must have the pistol/goby combo, then I'd go with a Yellow watchman goby and a Tiger pistol, and a small fish like one of the ones above.

I love Tanaka wrasses, and if one could work, I'd be super happy.

I'm not sure how a watchman would do. They get around 4", and a smaller one would probably fare better.

I might take s

I second the cleaner shrimp! There is one at my LFS that is super cool and eats from my hand and if I put my hand in there he will clean it. I would have bought him months ago if it wasn't for the fact that I have a tiger pistol shrimp.

Also, as much as I love my pistol shrimp I wouldn't get another, unless I had a huge tank! They move stuff around and steal corals. They also prevent from getting other things like the cleaner shrimp. But if you have to get the pistol or goby pair I would advise against the tiger pistol shrimp. It is a big shrimp and all the gobies it can pair with are bigger and will out grow a 5 gallon quickly. If you want a pistol shrimp I would recommend a randalls shrimp and maybe a randalls goby or wheelers goby. Both of those are small enough to keep in the tank long term.

llama roadkill

I second the cleaner shrimp! There is one at my LFS that is super cool and eats from my hand and if I put my hand in there he will clean it. I would have bought him months ago if it wasn't for the fact that I have a tiger pistol shrimp.

Also, as much as I love my pistol shrimp I wouldn't get another, unless I had a huge tank! They move stuff around and steal corals. They also prevent from getting other things like the cleaner shrimp. But if you have to get the pistol or goby pair I would advise against the tiger pistol shrimp. It is a big shrimp and all the gobies it can pair with are bigger and will out grow a 5 gallon quickly. If you want a pistol shrimp I would recommend a randalls shrimp and maybe a randalls goby or wheelers goby. Both of those are small enough to keep in the tank long term.

I used to have a cleaner shrimp and I loved him. He'd always clean my hand. I accidentally crush him while rescaping :(. I think I'll get a cleaner and a harlequin or two.

Trimma Maiandros or Eviota Algida are great nano fish.

You could get away with pair in your size tank.

Get along with inverts and extremely easy to care for.

I don't even feed my pair of Eviota gobies. Pods are all they look for and they are very little bio-load. That's what you need for tank this small.

llama roadkill

What did you do with the 40 and ro k and stuff?

It's for sale right now. Parents decided it would become too expensive, as the child, I obviously could not argue.

llama roadkill

Yasha haze and candy cane pistol pair….

That's what I was thinking for the goby as well. I want one, but I'll only get one if I can get it at a good price.

That's what I was thinking for the goby as well. I want one, but I'll only get one if I can get it at a good price.

I picked mine up at manhattan aquariums a few weeks ago. Believed they were priced at $55 for a pasha haze/shrimp pair. and it was 10% off also

llama roadkill

I picked mine up at manhattan aquariums a few weeks ago. Believed they were priced at $55 for a pasha haze/shrimp pair. and it was 10% off also

Nice! On Blue Zoo I saw them for around $50 I believe? Nice price for those cool little guys.

• 1 month later...
llama roadkill

Is this thing wet yet? :lol:

It's been wet for a while, lol. I just added a pair of harlequin shrimp yesterday, and they LOVE my abundant population of Asterinas!

It's been wet for a while, lol. I just added a pair of harlequin shrimp yesterday, and they LOVE my abundant population of Asterinas!

Where's the build thread?
  • 3 weeks later...
llama roadkill

Where's the build thread?

I agree with 4x5. Don't get us all excited and not give us a build thread! Lol show is some pictures :)

I'll make one after RAP next week

• 2 weeks later...
llama roadkill

Are we there yet? :slap:

I'm mounting a light now, cleaning, sleeping, going to school, homework, sob, THEN I'll make a post.

Don't worry, his Insta already has livestock pics.

I'm not worried. I want pictures after we all put about 12 months of our life into his build that never happened. :lol:
llama roadkill

I'm not worried. I want pictures after we all put about 12 months of our life into his build that never happened. :lol:

Insta is llamaroadkill. Thread was postponed due to ich destroying my tank. I'll probably make a thread later, as I don't want my dying mandarin in the picture. Sorry.

Archived