Top Shelf Aquatics

nasty algae - not dinos, what is this gunk?

GHill762

16514241155_c783d71e1d_k.jpg

16328331667_7a20264586_k.jpg

16512503631_af0b3fbf1f_k.jpg

16513195642_3c544a1af6_k.jpg

Are those better?

These pictures are actually awesome and need to go on the Reef Central thread. There's a relationship or symbiosis between Dino's and Bacteria, and I think this is the best physical proof of that. Clearly this is dinos and bacteria living together.

In my situation I had dinos and cyano living together.

Dinoflagellates are microscopic. You cannot see them swimming around at all, day or night lol.

Correct, no idea why I said you could see them. However they are free swimming in the dark and you can in fact take a sample of water during a dark period and then you can see the dinos under a microscope just from the water sample.

I should also mention that there are bioluminescent dinoflagelllates that glow in the dark, however I wasn't referring to those.

These pictures are actually awesome and need to go on the Reef Central thread. There's a relationship or symbiosis between Dino's and Bacteria, and I think this is the best physical proof of that. Clearly this is dinos and bacteria living together.

In my situation I had dinos and cyano living together.

that's an interesting idea, since I've stopped any and all carbon dosing and I still have some of that gunk that seems nearly impossible to get rid of (though no longer to the level it's present in those photos).. I do manual removal now with weekly water changes. it seems better but like I said it's still present.. I think there is some weird bacterial imbalance in the tank though, my socks seem to clog really fast and feel slimy when I change them.

Archived