inTank Media Baskets

Thinking of trying red sea coral pro salt. Decision made: yes! with results

reefernanoman

RSCP should be mixed 38.2 grams per liter ow RODI to get 1.025. These instrctions are on the bucket. Works every time. Measuring salt by volume is not the best way to go IMO.

RSCP is the only salt I have used since starting my new tank last May. IMO this is the best mix I have ever used. Considering all the other costs of this hobby, I don't think it is that expensive.

What he said^^

After converting to gallons I mix at 140 grams per gallon and get 1.025 every time. I mix in a 5 gallon bucket with a mj1200 power head and its mixed and ready to go in 30 minutes.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swing2Harmony

I got RSCP when I started the hobby because I thought I was going to keep it simple and have very a few corals and just didn't want to test and dose any elements. But then the tank got full of corals and I got into SPS and started dosing and the CP salt wasn't ideal anymore because of high Alkalinity levels. In order to not messed up my dosing and stil be able to do the occasional large water changes I kept the tank at 13dkh which really caused pale colours in SPS and LPS. I now use H2Ocean salt, but honestly I would have just gone for Reef Crystal and save money if I had a bigger tank.

reefernanoman

I got RSCP when I started the hobby because I thought I was going to keep it simple and have very a few corals and just didn't want to test and dose any elements. But then the tank got full of corals and I got into SPS and started dosing and the CP salt wasn't ideal anymore because of high Alkalinity levels. In order to not messed up my dosing and stil be able to do the occasional large water changes I kept the tank at 13dkh which really caused pale colours in SPS and LPS. I now use H2Ocean salt, but honestly I would have just gone for Reef Crystal and save money if I had a bigger tank.

I have never tested and never will test for anything other than salinity, temperature, ammonia, nitrates and nitrate in both of my nanos,so that wouldn't be an issue for me. Maybe in a bugger tank that would be an issue IDK.

Well, first impression was great! After mixing 4G for an hour, I did the WC and noticed that there was absolutely no residue on the bottom, like left over salt! Both KM and IO would always leave salt at the bottom that did not mix, even after hours of mixing. See you all in 3 months, but I'm already liking it.

Swing2Harmony

I have never tested and never will test for anything other than salinity, temperature, ammonia, nitrates and nitrate in both of my nanos,so that wouldn't be an issue for me. Maybe in a bugger tank that would be an issue IDK.

Well, first impression was great! After mixing 4G for an hour, I did the WC and noticed that there was absolutely no residue on the bottom, like left over salt! Both KM and IO would always leave salt at the bottom that did not mix, even after hours of mixing. See you all in 3 months, but I'm already liking it.

Yes, no residue at the bottom and a more consistant salt mix. That's how I justsify paying more for RedSea or H2Ocean.

Id go with Coral Pro, Idk what tank parameters you like to keep. but just keep in mind. Coral pro mixes to what alot of people like to keep there tanks at... calcium close to 450, mag around 1350 and so on.

if your using lets say Instant ocean, it doesn't mix close to the numbers of the red sea salt mix......

so then people have to dose to bring it up to what they would like....how much is it going to cost you in dosing to get it up to the salt mix..... alot more then if you just started out with a good bag of salt.

esp if your tank is a big tank

Doesn't cost that much to buffer the mix water. Approx 1 tsp of baking soda / 30g will bump it by 1dkh. About 5 tsp of calc chloride to take er up 60 ppm. I'm interested in the other trace elements aside from the big 3 and the lack of clay binders and added organics found in RC.

I was only trying to throw a different perspective on looking at the better salt then going with what may be cheaper up front. but if you do dose its not always cheaper to go with a cheaper salt if you need to dose to bring your numbers back up.

all I gotta say about RSCP is #### yea.. colors and PE are back. Zoas and palys that have been iritated for months are relaxed and open. Cyano in the display is dwindling.

RC - nah na na naaah, nah na na naaah.. heey hey hey goood byee..

reefernanoman

I just bought some so I let u know soon!

Good decision! I'm already liking mine! Absolutely no salt residue after mixing it for only 1 hr.

• 2 weeks later...
reefernanoman

Update 03/05/15:

Well everything is still growing great! Also I have noticed that my GHA has not been growing that much! With KM, it was going crazy.

Cencalfishguy56

Wow I'm excited my bucket of RSCP arrives tomorrow in time for my water change im ready to see the difference as I currently use RC

reefernanoman

Wow I'm excited my bucket of RSCP arrives tomorrow in time for my water change im ready to see the difference as I currently use RC

Most people see a big difference even after using it for the first week! And I'm included in that group! Like I said before, my corals have never looked better, my GHA has been reduced and my polyp extension is amazing! Corals have been growing very fast too.

I will never use ANY other salt again.

Cencalfishguy56

Most people see a big difference even after using it for the first week! And I'm included in that group! Like I said before, my corals have never looked better, my GHA has been reduced and my polyp extension is amazing! Corals have been growing very fast too.

I will never use ANY other salt again.

Do you have to dose with RSCP? I know with reef crystals I had to, it was inconsistent

reefernanoman

Do you have to dose with RSCP? I know with reef crystals I had to, it was inconsistent

I have never dosed anything on my nanos with great growth. I never test for calcium, alkalinity, and all that other crazy stuff( I only check my salinity and temperature once in a while, and test for nitrates, nitrites and ammonia only if I see that something is wrong). I think that is only necessary in bigger tanks(my opinion and many others here, including some experts). My tanks are 10G and 28G, so all I do is weekly water changes of 1G and 3G and that's it. With RSCP it has worked even better for me!

Cencalfishguy56

I have never dosed anything on my nanos with great growth. I never test for calcium, alkalinity, and all that other crazy stuff( I only check my salinity and temperature once in a while, and test for nitrates, nitrites and ammonia only if I see that something is wrong). I think that is only necessary in bigger tanks(my opinion and many others here, including some experts). My tanks are 10G and 28G, so all I do is weekly water changes of 1G and 3G and that's it. With RSCP it has worked even better for me!

I thought the samething till I was having problems and noticed my alk was low so I had to start dosing hopefully with RSCP I wont fingers crossed lol

reefernanoman

I thought the samething till I was having problems and noticed my alk was low so I had to start dosing hopefully with RSCP I wont fingers crossed lol

Interesting. I have been doing this since 2006 with no issues, even with cheap salt. What tank do you have?

Archived