Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Thinking of trying red sea coral pro salt. Decision made: yes! with results

reefernanoman

Search function worked pretty good.

I don't want to unnecessarily blame the salt. I'd much rather buy a 200g box for $44 than a 175g bucket for $69. I just have been plagued with cyano for years and a water change makes it worse. It doesn't get out of control covering stuff, but it's there and annoying. Mainly grows on the glass in the display and on the chaeto in my sump.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reefernanoman

I don't want to unnecessarily blame the salt. I'd much rather buy a 200g box for $44 than a 175g bucket for $69. I just have been plagued with cyano for years and a water change makes it worse. It doesn't get out of control covering stuff, but it's there and annoying. Mainly grows on the glass in the display and on the chaeto in my sump.

So I guess the $44 200G is for RC?

I hear ya. That's really strange that it increase when you do water changes. Maybe you should try a third salt to see if the problem persists? I think that would help determine whether or not a specific salt(s) is the cause of the problem.

I hear ya. That's really strange that it increase when you do water changes. Maybe you should try a third salt to see if the problem persists? I think that would help determine whether or not a specific salt(s) is the cause of the problem.

Well just started with RSCP. This is the crap that I get with RC that I'm concerned about. Added "organics." Not saying that RSCP doesn't have added stuff, but I should know pretty quickly if it's contributing. Regular IO doesn't have all this added stuff.. whatever stuff that is and mixes clear for weeks on end.. just needs some extra buffering to get it to the right levels. That'll be my next go to.

16505438372_849326755d_z.jpg

Marc.The.Shark

Wow! What is that, my mixing bucket never looks like that! How long do you mix the salt?

Oh, my bad, that's with RC. I used RC for years with my last tank & never remember any of that

Well just started with RSCP. This is the crap that I get with RC that I'm concerned about. Added "organics." Not saying that RSCP doesn't have added stuff, but I should know pretty quickly if it's contributing. Regular IO doesn't have all this added stuff.. whatever stuff that is and mixes clear for weeks on end.. just needs some extra buffering to get it to the right levels. That'll be my next go to.

Yeah I've seen that before as well, but never really put much concern into it because I've seen it with every salt that I've ever used. That said, I've never used IO but I know some people swear by it, and as you've stated, they just use a buffer to get alk, ca, and mg levels where they want them.

Ironically, I'm now using NSW (have been for about 3 months or so) with great results over all but over the last few days I've started to see a little bit of cyano. Not enough to be overly concerned about it, but it's there. I'm also running very old bulbs in my light fixture, and the tank is still fairly young (approximately 6-8 months old) so who knows what is causing the recent cyano outbreak..

Aquarium type S.G. at 25°C/77°F Salinity Dose

Fish, non-coral inverts 1.021 30.6 ppt 33.4 g/l (1.4 lb/5 US gal)

Soft/LPS corals 1.023 33.0 ppt 36.0 g/l (1.5 lb/5 US gal)

SPS/Giant clams 1.025 35.0 ppt 38.2 g/l (1.6 lb/5 US gal)

just saw this from the RSCP pdf sheet on MarineDepot. does anyone ever keep their tanks at less than the 1.026sg or 35 ppt?

I really like the levels they claim to reach per salinity:

Salinity pH Alk (°dKH) Ca (mg/l) Mg (mg/l) K (mg/l)

30.6 ppt 8.2 – 8.4 11.3 - 11.7 400 - 420 1185 - 1245 340 - 360

33.0 ppt 8.2 – 8.4 11.8 – 12.2 430 - 450 1280 - 1340 370 - 390

35.0 ppt 8.2 – 8.4 12.3 - 12.7 455 - 475 1360 - 1420 390 - 410

Can anyone that uses this confirm that most batches mix in at these or close to these ranges?

I've seen people mention this but I've never experienced it in my 3 years using IORC

fwiw, I really only use IORC because it's available locally. I don't feel like paying shipping on salt and I appreciate the convenience of being able to buy it if/when I need it. I've considered switching but don't think it's worth the hassle for something I can only get out of town or through the mail.

Happens only if I let it sit for extended periods. Usually I mix and is clear within 30 minutes. The 'sludge' is still going into the tank, whether or not it has time to settle out on the sides of the mixing barrel. I've got nothin to back up my shit on.. except personal observation so far.

When I first setup my tank, I used IORC. It seemed to work well, but I also got those weird deposits on the bucket I mixed in. I then used some Fritz I got for free at a swap. That stuff was pretty good. Mixed cleanly with zero deposits. When I ran out of that, I couldn't find anywhere that sold it near me. I ended up switching to Brightwell salt. I love this stuff. Always mixes quickly with no deposits at all. The levels of alk, calc, and mg are all about where I want them. Only thing that I can say is negative is that you can't get this stuff on your skin, especially if you have sweat or water on your skin. When this stuff touches water it has an exothermic reaction that will burn a hole in your skin. It can melt plastic. Definitely don't put the salt in the bucket first then pour water in. That warps the plastic buckets. You also mess up the salt, I learned that the hard way.

Edit:

Forgot to add that its fairly expensive. Cheapest I saw was ~70 for a bucket, usually 90 for the 5 gal bucket.

Marc.The.Shark

I read somewhere that RSCP recommends mixing the salt 1st, then bringing up to temp, then into the tank. Helps with precipitation. But mix for no longer than 2 hours. Mine mixes clear in 10-15 mins with a little that settles on the bottom that I have to clear up fo another 10-15 mins.

reefernanoman

I read somewhere that RSCP recommends mixing the salt 1st, then bringing up to temp, then into the tank. Helps with precipitation. But mix for no longer than 2 hours. Mine mixes clear in 10-15 mins with a little that settles on the bottom that I have to clear up fo another 10-15 mins.

What I have heard is not to warm up the water at all and mix the salt to a maximum time of 1 hour.(RSCP).

Has anyone tested to see if RSCP has phosphates in it?

Marc.The.Shark

I haven't checked it, but my tank tests 0 with the Hanna Phosphorus checker so I would assume not, but I'll have to check it next time to be sure, next week. I suppose if there is some, my mechanical filtration is getting it tho, so I'll double check it.

Aquarium type S.G. at 25°C/77°F Salinity Dose

Fish, non-coral inverts 1.021 30.6 ppt 33.4 g/l (1.4 lb/5 US gal)

Soft/LPS corals 1.023 33.0 ppt 36.0 g/l (1.5 lb/5 US gal)

SPS/Giant clams 1.025 35.0 ppt 38.2 g/l (1.6 lb/5 US gal)

just saw this from the RSCP pdf sheet on MarineDepot. does anyone ever keep their tanks at less than the 1.026sg or 35 ppt?

I really like the levels they claim to reach per salinity:

Salinity pH Alk (°dKH) Ca (mg/l) Mg (mg/l) K (mg/l)

30.6 ppt 8.2 – 8.4 11.3 - 11.7 400 - 420 1185 - 1245 340 - 360

33.0 ppt 8.2 – 8.4 11.8 – 12.2 430 - 450 1280 - 1340 370 - 390

35.0 ppt 8.2 – 8.4 12.3 - 12.7 455 - 475 1360 - 1420 390 - 410

Can anyone that uses this confirm that most batches mix in at these or close to these ranges?

I went through RSCP a few times and it does mix pretty close as what the bucket says. The only thing I don't like about RSCP is that alk is a bit too high for me.

i used rscp for close to a year. i never had any problems with it in the tank. it did leave slug in the mixing bucket if i let it mix or sit for more then a couple hours but the directions do state that. also it's super fine and a little dusty, i always ended up sneezing when i opened the bag. one thing always worried me, they use actual dried salt from the red sea at least they claim to. i would imagine,and you can see what i mean if you watch the video, there is a good chance of something contaminating the salt when it's left to dry. i started the hobby using iorc and i'm back to it. it's fairly inexpensive and easy to find locally in a pinch. it's also synthetic like the hw-marinemix which i will be trying soon.

again i want to say i never did have any problems with red sea coral pro once it was in the tank, it's a fine salt mix. i've heard it said before and i agree most decent salt mixes will net you the results you want. if the red sea is easy to get and you like it go with it.

reefernanoman

I've seen people mention this but I've never experienced it in my 3 years using IORC

fwiw, I really only use IORC because it's available locally. I don't feel like paying shipping on salt and I appreciate the convenience of being able to buy it if/when I need it. I've considered switching but don't think it's worth the hassle for something I can only get out of town or through the mail.

MD charges a whopping $7.99 for ground shipping a full sized bucket.
Brooklynkidd718

I recommend it, I have been using for the last year and a half. Weekly water changes keeps the water parameters locked in, i only dose when i skip a water change.

reefernanoman

LFS charges $0.00 and I can get it anytime I want.

Yeah, but they charge taxes and the gas and time that you have to invest. Subjective.

reefernanoman

Got my bucket of salt from MD today. I was surprised that they don't ship it in a box, but I'm glad at the same time, since I have heard that these get banged around a lot and end up being damaged. This way, I was able to inspect it as soon as UPS gave it to me. It had knicks here and there but nothing mayor. I will update this thread in like 3 months or more. Thanks MD!

Got my bucket of salt from MD today. I was surprised that they don't ship it in a box, but I'm glad at the same time, since I have heard that these get banged around a lot and end up being damaged. This way, I was able to inspect it as soon as UPS gave it to me. It had knicks here and there but nothing mayor. I will update this thread in like 3 months or more. Thanks MD!

I order my RSCP from the good Drs. and they do ship it in a box with plenty of foam p-nuts.

BTW, My SPS show great polyp extension after a water change!

reefernanoman

I order my RSCP from the good Drs. and they do ship it in a box with plenty of foam p-nuts.

BTW, My SPS show great polyp extension after a water change!

I guess both methods work. Yeah, I'm about to do my first WC with RSCP too! RS says not to mix the salt for more than an hr, so that's what I'm going to do. SPS look better already huh? Nice!

I mixed my first batch of RSCP this pass weekend , I would also suggest getting the Red Sea Refractometer, it' on point!

in less than 3 days I see better color and polyp extention.

BTW.. if you around Houston for the Reef Currents Event on Feb 28th,

A local vendor is going to offer the 175 Bucket of RSCP for $55.

She's also working with Red Sea to give us the Reef Energy A & B for free.

Archived